Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 7:10 am

That’s one of my favorite statues.

Catholicism may get under my skin, but the art is incredible.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 7:43 am

Yes. The Catholic church itsself commission awesome works of visual art during the Renaissance, and the later Baroque (the era of that masterpiece). And so did non church patrons (like the aristocrats who commission the Bernini statue)in Catholic countries.

Protestant and Jewish cultures did not generate much in the way of visual art.

But a Jewish buddy of mine who went to Israel to study Talmudic stuff talked about how medieval Hebrew religious text were festooned with commentary on the margins, and commentary upon commentary. He mention how some of the medieval rabbis would compare holy texts to "feeling a woman's body". So... I guess that would be the male heterosexual equivalent of ....having a cute naked male angel pierce you with an iron tipped gold arrow! :lol:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But a Jewish buddy of mine who went to Israel to study Talmudic stuff talked about how medieval Hebrew religious text were festooned with commentary on the margins, and commentary upon commentary. He mention how some of the medieval rabbis would compare holy texts to "feeling a woman's body". So... I guess that would be the male heterosexual equivalent of ....having a cute naked male angel pierce you with an iron tipped gold arrow! :lol:

My overall experience with holy texts was sheer and utter boredom. Of course, the Song of Solomon…

“Your two breasts are like two fawns, twins of a gazelle, that graze among the lilies.” Solomon 4:5

My church used to say that rather than being the erotic poem that it is it’s about how Christ feels about the church.

Sometimes I read apologetics when I’m in the mood for something silly. Of course, the Song of Solomon would also work in a pinch.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 9:34 pm

I think it's in decline overall, but it may take a very long time to vanish completely.