Page 3 of 21 [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It is well-documented that Iraq used chemical weapons against the Kurds and others in the 80s and 90s.

I don't recall that being a primary motive. I remember a lot of talk about yellow cake and weapons of mass destruction, claims that were later debunked.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:26 pm

Yeah I know. I acknowledge that. I acknowledge our history.

I never said we had purely altruistic motives in invading Iraq. To claim this is bogus.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I never said we had altruistic motives in invading Iraq. To claim this is bogus.

It's fair to point out those actions were an injustice from the get-go and the fact the people who perpetrated it will never be held accountable only compounds it.

It's an act that continues to harm America's ability to present itself as different from war mongering dictatorships when it comes to international relations, ignoring international law to launch an invasion is a problem even when the country doing it is a liberal democracy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:47 pm

Yep….it certainly screwed up our reputation.

From a purely geopolitical standpoint, not to intervene in Ukraine would ultimately do harm to the “western world.” There are non-altruistic reasons here, too—but they are justified as far as the interests of the “western world” are concerned.

I feel we should do much more to assist people from more purely altruistic motivations. We’re not doing enough of that. The emphasis is mostly on Ukraine; it should also be on, say people starving in various places around the world.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:01 pm

MaxE wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
There was a strong interest among Iraqis to depose Hussein, establish a democracy, and open up friendly relations with the West. It was easy to get control over and occupy Iraq with minimal loss of life. That’s just how you fight a war. You do what it takes to win.
As to whether the US was right to do it…I think both the ends and means were justified. However, I’m no longer convinced that was our war to fight. It’s not our job to protect the sovereignty of Kuwait. It’s our job to protect our own people from attack.

I disagree with all of this except the last part. All that "fighting to protect our freedom" stuff was meretricious propaganda just like what Putin is feeding his people. In fact, I really think most Americans agree with me on this, and Trump was able to cynically take advantage of that sentiment as part of his scheme to become President.

Fact are facts whether you agree with things or not. Iraq was a remarkably easy target. Nobody in the world was afraid of them except their own people. 9/11 was an important flashpoint that helped tip the balance after all the chemical weapons propaganda. Iraq was never a difficult objective to achieve.

The main difference between them and Russia is nuclear weapons and that people are too afraid of what it would mean to go against a country who has the ability to sacrifice entire provinces and millions of men to wear an enemy down. Ukrainians under the Soviet Union had been preparing their whole lives for just this moment and never knew it. Now Russia is falling victim to tactics it invented. They will never succeed at this point because they've lost too much at the outset. This isn't an Iraq moment. It's a Vietnam moment.

Russian can still take Ukraine if they use the strategy the rest of the world knows they're capable of. Why Russia is stuck where they are is baffling to me. Morally, Russia is on the wrong side. Win or lose, this is going to cost them dearly.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 May 2022, 2:26 am

AngelRho wrote:
*sigh*

Ukraine isn’t exactly a nation of perfect angels, either. They still struggle with corrupt oligarchs.

But that’s an internal issue for the Ukrainian people to fix. Russians dislike Ukraine because Ukraine is a sort of gateway to the west and has the power to disrupt Russia’s chokehold on oil and gas. Belarus is exactly the same. The difference between Ukraine and Belarus is Belarus still thinks it’s part of the Soviet Union while Ukraine wants nothing to do with Russia. Russia still maintains control over Belarus as a puppet state. Ukraine has been more resistant to Russian influence.
Mostly correct, with a little correction that it's Belarussian regime romancing with Russia, not the people. There's very strong democratic movement among Belarussians.

AngelRho wrote:
Iraq is a weak state that asserted its dominance over smaller nations who were friendly to the United States. There was a strong interest among Iraqis to depose Hussein, establish a democracy, and open up friendly relations with the West. It was easy to get control over and occupy Iraq with minimal loss of life. That’s just how you fight a war. You do what it takes to win.

As to whether the US was right to do it…I think both the ends and means were justified. However, I’m no longer convinced that was our war to fight. It’s not our job to protect the sovereignty of Kuwait. It’s our job to protect our own people from attack.

Aside from gas disputes, which is an economic and trade issue, not a military issue, Russian and Ukraine have little to do with each other. Certainly nothing worth going to war over. Ukraine is Russia’s version of our Vietnam. We’re finding out Russia is not nearly as strong militarily as anyone thought, certainly not as strong as the US. Ukrainians aren’t weak. They aren’t as strong as Russia, but they have clearly shown the ability to wage a protracted war of attrition that Russia is not equipped for. The only reason nobody wants to commit troops to Ukraine is Russia’s nuclear deterrent and the dreaded prospect of a great big bear hunt in a country with enough land to swallow up any invading army and 100 bears for each soldier in that army. There’s no beating Russia in a fair fight. So Ukraine is ultimately on the right side of history by repelling Russian attacks and not caving to their demands.

Should the US get involved? I don’t think so any more than Iraq. If it’s not our war, we should stay out of it.

I don't think US should get militarily involved at this stage but I'm glad US is supportive in other ways.
My point of view is much closer and in a way it is my war - if Russia succeeds, we'll be next. Though, we also shouldn't get involved militarily at this stage, too. We can't afford risking losing the protection of art 5.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 5:37 am

It just wouldn’t be smart for any NATO nation individually to directly intervene militarily….unless they were attacked.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 6:19 am

QFT wrote:
magz wrote:
QFT wrote:
magz wrote:
What "both sides are wrong"?
Are you claiming Ukrainians are wrong to defend themselves from a brutal invasion?
WTF?

I am saying America and Nato are wrong for interfering in Russia-Ukraine business

Look at this parallel:

--- Russia interferes in Ukraine business because it sees itself as more powerful than Ukraine

--- America/West is interfering in Russia/Ukraine business because they see themselves as more powerful than Russia

So the first point is what insults Ukraine while the second point is what insults Russia

How about: the West "interfereres with Ukraine/Russia business" because Ukraine keeps asking the international community (not just the West) for help?

Thats a good point: Ukraine's citizens never asked Putin for help to deal with Nazis -- and in fact they kept making a point they don't need his help.

But now lets take a hypothetical scenario. Imagine that there were some Ukrainian's citizens that were asking Putin's help. Do you think it would be wrong for Putin to invade Ukraine in this hypothetical case?

Ya, this was in my mind too. USA and rest of the West have the right to interfere because Ukraine keeps asking for it. If Ukraine said "This is between us and Russia, don't join in" yet the West still somehow did and wasn't judged, then there would be a bit of a double standard. But even in that situation, Poland and other countries that share borders with Ukraine helping Ukrainian refugees within their borders would still be okay 'cause once those people are on other countries' soil, those particular people become those countries' business.

And yes, it would be wrong of Putin to invade in that case as well. In a situation like that, what Putin could do is to offer his protection to those people in his own country or contact Ukrainian authorities peacefully and negotiate with them about how to help those people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:07 am

That wasn’t Putin’s intention, obviously. He was going to invade Ukraine—come hell or high water. He had to make up excuses so he would have the support of the people of his nation. He knew mere conquering wouldn’t suffice in today’s Russia.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 11:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I never said we had purely altruistic motives in invading Iraq. To claim this is bogus.

Yeah, but nobody imposed sanctions in the US. So would you go as far as saying US was deserving of sanctions, similar to the ones Russia is under? And would you also say international community should have supplied weapons to Iraq to help it defend itself against the US?

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 11:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It is really not in the best interest of the EU to let the Russians run roughshod over Ukraine.

There would be a legit “domino” effect should the Russians succeed in Ukraine. Who’s next? Maybe Poland, maybe Finland?
Maybe Moldova?

Russia wants, at least, to possess the territory the USSR possessed….plus their sphere of influence in Eastern and Central Europe.

And their overall ideology is regressive and repressive; they want full authoritarian dominion over all those peoples. And they seek to stifle independent thought.

Imagine if we stopped Nazi Germany in 1938 as far as Czechoslovakia was concerned….and stopped them from re-militarizing themselves prior to this? Hitler might have been stopped, and WW II prevented in Europe.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, and I don’t often indulge in hindsight. But it seems to me that history will repeat itself if Putin is allowed to be successful.

Well, here are some differences between Hitler and Putin

1) As you mentioned yourself in the above quote, Putin is trying to get the territory of former USSR. On the other hand Hitler was trying to gain territories that had no historic ties to Germany.

2) In fact, Hitler wanted to conquer the whole entire world. Putin isn't nearly that ambitious.

3) Hitler planned to kill all the Jews and enslave all the slavs. Putin isn't planning this

4) Even if Hitler were to be stopped after Czechoslovakia, he would have still killed all the Jews in Germany proper. This is not a concern with Putin

5) You inferred that it was America who stopped Hitler when you used the word "we". The fact of a matter is that Soviet Union did most of the job of defeating Hitler, yet America won't give them credit for it. I know it is a bit of OT, because you are talking about 1938 and Soviet Union only started opposing Hitler in 1941 (until then the two of them actually had a deal). But still, the problem is that Americans won't even give Soviet Union a credit for what they did after 1941, so I have to make this point.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 11:46 am

AngelRho wrote:
QFT wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Aside from gas disputes, which is an economic and trade issue, not a military issue, Russian and Ukraine have little to do with each other.

They have historic and cultural ties.

The United States and the UK have historic and cultural ties, so can’t we just invade the UK?

Actually its more like the UK invading us...to restore the British Empire, and reverse the American revolution.

But that you mention it...I think that the Queen SHOULD invade us. And rescue us Americans from ... [ whatever poltical group you mostdislike]......the KKK, Black Lives Matter, QAnon, Antifa, Boogie Boys, whatever. Just like Putin is just ...selflessly invading Ukraine in order to rescue the Ukrainians from that handful of neo Nazis they have. And why he is kindly and selflessly bombing, and shelling, the crap out of the Ukrainians! :lol:

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 11:58 am

QFT wrote:
3) Hitler planned to kill all the Jews and enslave all the slavs. Putin isn't planning this

Although not necessarily related to Putin and The Russian Federation, historical Russia has a very bad history of genocide/massacre.

In 1784, the massacre of Koniag Alutiiq.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awa%27uq_Massacre
Quote:
The Russian promyshlennikis attacked the people on the island by shooting guns and cannons, slaughtering an estimated 200 to 500 men, women and children on Refuge Rock. Some sources state the number killed was as many as 2,000, or 3,000 persons. Following the attack of Awa'uq, Shelikhov claimed to have captured over 1,000 people, detaining some 400 as hostages, including children. The Russians suffered no casualties.

In 1900, the massacre of Chinese, including Manchu, Daur and Han.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Amur_anti-Chinese_pogroms
Quote:
Those who could swim were shot by the Russian forces.There were 1,266 households, including 900 Daurs and 4,500 Manchus in the area until the massacre. Many Manchu villages were burned by Cossacks in the massacre according to Victor Zatsepine.

There have also been mass expulsions of Chinese before.

In 1916, the massacre of the Turkic residents of Central Asia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Asian_revolt_of_1916
Quote:
The revolt led to the exodus of hundreds of thousands of Kyrgyz and Kazakhs into China, while the suppression of the revolt by the Imperial Russian Army led to around 100,000 to 270,000 deaths.
Special importance is given to the event in Kyrgyz historiography due to the fact that perhaps has many as 40% of the ethnic Kyrgyz population died during or in the aftermath of the revolt.

The above are just three of the quickest examples I can find.
I am not sure about the official attitude of the Russian Federation to these events.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 2:05 pm

QFT wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It is really not in the best interest of the EU to let the Russians run roughshod over Ukraine.

There would be a legit “domino” effect should the Russians succeed in Ukraine. Who’s next? Maybe Poland, maybe Finland?
Maybe Moldova?

Russia wants, at least, to possess the territory the USSR possessed….plus their sphere of influence in Eastern and Central Europe.

And their overall ideology is regressive and repressive; they want full authoritarian dominion over all those peoples. And they seek to stifle independent thought.

Imagine if we stopped Nazi Germany in 1938 as far as Czechoslovakia was concerned….and stopped them from re-militarizing themselves prior to this? Hitler might have been stopped, and WW II prevented in Europe.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, and I don’t often indulge in hindsight. But it seems to me that history will repeat itself if Putin is allowed to be successful.

Well, here are some differences between Hitler and Putin

1) As you mentioned yourself in the above quote, Putin is trying to get the territory of former USSR. On the other hand Hitler was trying to gain territories that had no historic ties to Germany.

2) In fact, Hitler wanted to conquer the whole entire world. Putin isn't nearly that ambitious.

4) Even if Hitler were to be stopped after Czechoslovakia, he would have still killed all the Jews in Germany proper. This is not a concern with Putin

5) You inferred that it was America who stopped Hitler when you used the word "we". The fact of a matter is that Soviet Union did most of the job of defeating Hitler, yet America won't give them credit for it. I know it is a bit of OT, because you are talking about 1938 and Soviet Union only started opposing Hitler in 1941 (until then the two of them actually had a deal). But still, the problem is that Americans won't even give Soviet Union a credit for what they did after 1941, so I have to make this point.

1) Hitler started off by seizing territory lost in the Versailles Treaty that was once German, and later seized territory with German speaking inhabitants. He didnt start aggressing against Europe at large until the UK and France declared war on him in retaliation for him joining Stalin in dismembering Poland.
2) Putin is indeed executing people in occupied Ukraine. But even if political terror werent a concern ..so what? He is ONLY as bad as Napoleon, and not as bad as Hitler? Thats like saying that the guy who mugged you is not as bad a Jeffery Daumier so the cops shouldnt bother with him.

3) Putin is ONLY trying to recreate the empire of the Czars? Or that of the Soviets? Either empire was larger in land area than all of Nazi occupied Europe at the height of might of the third Riech. Second only in size to the British Empire at its height. You dont see Britain invading Kenya, the US, Egypt, and other former colonies to recreate the Empire of Queen Victoria. Mussolini DID put up maps of the old Roman empire on street corners in Italy to get the populace pumped about the notion of recreating the Old Roman Empire under modern Italy.

4) Maybe so. There were only 100k Jews in Germany. So 98 percent of the Holocaust wouldnt have happened.

5)Dont know what you're on about here. But your vocabulary is off. You meant Krafty "implied" it. Not "inferred" it.
The speaker implies something. You infer when you connect the dots and conclude something (including what the person talking to is implying). But dont feel bad. The Vice President made the same mistake. :lol:

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 9:12 am

naturalplastic wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
QFT wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Aside from gas disputes, which is an economic and trade issue, not a military issue, Russian and Ukraine have little to do with each other.

They have historic and cultural ties.

The United States and the UK have historic and cultural ties, so can’t we just invade the UK?

Actually its more like the UK invading us...to restore the British Empire, and reverse the American revolution.

But that you mention it...I think that the Queen SHOULD invade us. And rescue us Americans from ... [ whatever poltical group you mostdislike]......the KKK, Black Lives Matter, QAnon, Antifa, Boogie Boys, whatever. Just like Putin is just ...selflessly invading Ukraine in order to rescue the Ukrainians from that handful of neo Nazis they have. And why he is kindly and selflessly bombing, and shelling, the crap out of the Ukrainians! :lol:

I picked the US picking on the UK precisely because of the absurdity of the whole thing. However, Russians aren't wrong if they claim Oleg and Kievan Rus as their cultural heritage. Putin has mentioned a religious motivation for absorbing Ukraine as a propaganda device--but, again, Putin isn't exactly wrong about the facts here. I think he's lying about his true intentions. Still, Russia does have a religious and cultural interest in Ukraine from the point of view that the Russian people do have historical ties to Ukraine. The United States could just as easily justify annexing the UK by saying that the successes of the republic justify rescuing the British from the Crown. Given the strength and resolve of the British, invading the UK would probably work out just as well as Russia invading Ukraine...

...except...

NATO. The collective strength of NATO in Europe would challenge US military supremacy, hence deterring the US from doing something like that. Similarly, a unilateral invasion of the US wouldn't go over so well since, like Russia, we also possess a strong nuclear deterrent. Any nation outside NATO would prefer that the US not even have reason to suspect any citizen even THINK bad thoughts about the US lest they become another Iraq or Afghanistan.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 9:23 am

Yes, the Soviet Union was a great contributor in defeating the Nazis----both directly and indirectly. They were heroic in Stalingrad---that was the turning point of the war.

I never said they weren't a "great contributor."

But you can't deny that the US played a paramount role in defeating the Nazis.