Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 3:20 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The writers of the Bible did not even give the correct value of Pi, so why should any educated person have any reason to believe the rest?
I think the Quran wins for the most scientific errors made by god in any religious book.
God wrote neither book.  All religious books were written by humans (despite what Joseph Smith may have said).

Yeah. In this way, the error will come from humans who do not understand enough, and it will never be God himself.

God is crafty

You’re telling me that God is Kraftie?

(I need to leave this thread.)

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 3:25 pm

Before Paul was Christian I referred to him as autistic in quotes because it's a humourous way of saying he had black and white thinking.

Ie telling others to follow the law of Moses or else, he also followed it rigidly himself.

So after becoming a Christian he still has that personality. He wrote Galatians which says there is now a curse for following the law in chapter 3. Because we are under grace.

So in Corinthians he says women shouldn't talk because it's in the law...so that's a huge contradiction.
My experience of being a Christian has shown me that Satan tries to put people under the bondage of the law.
So because of practical life experience I think that contradiction is due to Paul being decieved.
This is controversial because most Christians believe the Bible has to be all 100 percent correct.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 3:28 pm

klanka wrote:
Before Paul was Christian I referred to him as autistic in quotes because it's a humourous way of saying he had black and white thinking.

Ie telling others to follow the law of Moses or else, he also followed it rigidly himself.

So after becoming a Christian he still has that personality. He wrote Galatians which says there is now a curse for following the law in chapter 3. Because we are under grace.

So in Corinthians he says women shouldn't talk because it's in the law...so that's a huge contradiction.
My experience of being a Christian has shown me that Satan tries to put people under the bondage of the law.
So because of practical life experience I think that contradiction is due to Paul being decieved.
This is controversial because most Christians believe the Bible has to be all 100 percent correct.

How has your experience shown that Satan is responsible for what people choose to believe in and follow? Why is it Satan and not that person’s own experience and/or choice?

Most Christian sects (not sex) think that other sects (and sex) are influenced by Satan.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:07 pm

It's very strange but, Christians have a choice on how to interpret the first three gospels. Jesus gives those insane commandments without even hinting that we are not supposed to follow them.
In my past experience if I start thinking I should follow one aspect of the commandments I get strange urges to follow them all.
Then I have a collapse when I realise I can't do it.
This has happened to other Christians also. So it's not just a book it's an experience. :lol:

Then when a Christian has that burnout or collapse they rely on faith instead, which is the last gospel, the gospel of John.

I suppose Satan ,or whatever it is, is the force that makes is not believe in grace.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:21 pm

I haven’t seen any convincing evidence for Satan - subjectively or objectivity. People make poor choices sometimes but so do animals. I don’t see the need to blame it on some magical being that hasn’t been proven.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:26 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I haven’t seen any convincing evidence for Satan - subjectively or objectivity. People make poor choices sometimes but so do animals. I don’t see the need to blame it on some magical being that hasn’t been proven.

"Thank God!"

Now work with this one.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:28 pm

The only provable thing I have is the prayer circle suggestion I posted earlier

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:31 pm

klanka wrote:
The only provable thing I have is the prayer circle suggestion I posted earlier

I plan on staying as far away as I can from pentecostal prayer circles.

The only things that they would prove would be the power of confirmation bias and the altered mental states that come with this sort of thing. I watched an interesting documentary on it a while back.

Anyway, subjective experience, including one’s own, is not proof.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:36 pm

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The writers of the Bible did not even give the correct value of Pi, so why should any educated person have any reason to believe the rest?
I think the Quran wins for the most scientific errors made by god in any religious book.
God wrote neither book.  All religious books were written by humans (despite what Joseph Smith may have said).

That was my point.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:40 pm

Is popcorn allowed at prayer circles? I could go for some popcorn with LOTS of butter.

As with any religious gathering, I just go for the food.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:48 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

There is a simple hindu philosophical choice given to it;s adherents which is "do good" and be good". The early christians (such as the gnostics and later the quakers) understood this to mean do unto other's as you would to yourself.

Literally try and do no harm. Living one's life respecting other life (human or otherwise) is a sure-fire way of putting one's mind at ease without the need for god, his son or the fallen angel.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

There is a simple hindu philosophical choice given to it;s adherents which is "do good" and be good". The early christians (such as the gnostics and later the quakers) understood this to mean do unto other's as you would to yourself.

Literally try and do no harm. Living one's life respecting other life (human or otherwise) is a sure-fire way of putting one's mind at ease without the need for god, his son or the fallen angel.

That’s pretty much the philosophy I live by, but I don’t see how it relates to my comment.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:16 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

That’s pretty much the philosophy I live by, but I don’t see how it relates to my comment.

Oh I was trying to put other people's minds at ease that satan and hell are just a state of mind. We create our own hell here on earth. When the time comes to die, you just have to accept that what happens next is out of our control and that we just need to be mentally prepared for the next episode (assuming there is one?).