Page 9 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 2:46 pm

People saw Christianity as a way out of the darkness, violence, and ignorance of old pagan traditions. That was their viewpoint. They saw belief in Jesus as the way out. Whether he was a Jew or not.

Certainty not saying they were right. I’m speaking of their mindset.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 20 Jun 2022, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 2:47 pm

QFT wrote:
Other religions don’t have resurrections. Buddha is still in a grave.

Resurrection is not the only miracle. Such things need not even be limited to religion.

Most of the founding emperors of the Chinese dynasty were claimed to have some magical phenomena at birth.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 2:50 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I think that if God were real he’d have better communication skills than to create cryptic prophecies that could easily be misunderstood.

I think that it’s not “lack of communication skills” but more a punishment. In particular God distanced Himself as a punishment for our sins. For one thing, Adam and Eve were in direct communication with God until original sin. And also Jesus said “my father never left me because I always do His will” (John 8:29).

I guess it’s not just a punishment but also a protection of sorts. When Moses came to mount Sinai to talk to God, he couldn’t take anyone else with him because they would be destroyed. And even Moses himself couldn’t see God directly or he would have been destroyed too. So the point is that if a sinner gets too close to God, he would get destroyed. Thus, God actually is doing a favor to a sinner by keeping a distance since that’s what keeps sinner from getting destroyed. Moses was less sinful than others that’s why Moses could come closer to God without getting destroyed. But even Moses was sinful too, we all sin, that’s why Moses couldn’t see God too closely either.

Of course God is all powerful so if He wanted to make it so that sinners could see Him without being destroyed He could. The fact that He chose not to is a punishment aspect. Thus sinner not being able to see God because of sins can be seen as either a punishment or a mercy depending how you look at it. But the point is that sins are the reason as opposed to Gods communication skills.

So the point is that sin causes God to increase the distance which in turn makes it harder to believe which in turn encourages more sin which causes God to distance even more, creating more unbelief, etc. so it is a vicious cycle.

The way to break that cycle is to lessen ones sins (completely stopping sinning is impossible) which would allow God to lessen distance between him and humans which in turn will make it easier to believe, thus encourage one to lessen sins even more.

Now, if you ask me did I personally experience God after lessening sins, the answer is no. But my moms friend, who is ethnically Jewish but became a Christian (she is Russian Orthodox) told me that she was healed by God. I had a phone conversation with her half a year ago so I don’t exactly remember what she said. I believe it was something along the lines of not being able to walk and God telling her to arise and her arising and walking. But I really don’t remember. I am not sure if she is still alive, she had last stage of cancer. I would have to find a way to get her phone number from my mom and ask again.

The other evidence that I do know of is the Russian Orthodox icons producing tears.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 2:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
People saw Christianity as a way out of the darkness, violence, and ignorance of old pagan traditions. That was their viewpoint. They saw belief in Jesus as the way out. Whether he was a Jew or not.

But Romans wouldn’t want the way out of paganism since paganism is what they were raised as, and people have affinity to their own culture. In order for them to even want a way out, *something* had to happen.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 2:54 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
QFT wrote:

Resurrection is not the only miracle. Such things need not even be limited to religion.

Most of the founding emperors of the Chinese dynasty were claimed to have some magical phenomena at birth.

They weren’t thrown to lions for that claim.

Their claim was part of their culture. Christianity was counter to the dominant culture.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 2:56 pm

healing comes through faith:
"
Through faith in the name of Jesus, this man was healed—and you know how crippled he was before. Faith in Jesus’ name has healed him before your very eyes."

not by righteousness

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 3:01 pm

If you really want to know if Christianity is true you can ask a pentecostal church if they have a prayer group that meets at someone's house. Then ask to go just once, then during prayer if someone hears a word from God that's about you..then you know he must exist. (obviously the word from God has to be something that the person couldnt have known themselves)

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 3:07 pm

klanka wrote:
If you really want to know if Christianity is true you can ask a pentecostal church if they have a prayer group that meets at someone's house. Then ask to go just once, then during prayer if someone hears a word from God that's about you..then you know he must exist. (obviously the word from God has to be something that the person couldnt have known themselves)

Well, my mother said she was in the bus and she was dozing off and suddenly saw a picture of a funeral. Few hours later she learned that her father (my grandfather) died at that exact time.

The problem with that though is that she is not a Christian, she is Jewish. And in fact she is a secular Jew. But I guess if God is real He can send messages to anyone if He chooses so.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 3:13 pm

QFT wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
QFT wrote:

They weren’t thrown to lions for that claim.

Their claim was part of their culture. Christianity was counter to the dominant culture.

You may be shocked by what some Muslims claim in China - which obviously goes against the mainstream culture.
Or, the ancestral myth of my ethnicity includes a male human and a female river.

I would say, on the contrary, that a shocking miracle would be a common claim of a minority nationalist.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 3:33 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
You may be shocked by what some Muslims claim in China - which obviously goes against the mainstream culture.

Are you referring to Chinese forcing Muslims to eat pork? If so, I agree they do it, and I strongly oppose Chinese government on this one.

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Or, the ancestral myth of my ethnicity includes a male human and a female river.

Those people don’t claim to have seen anything physical that backs it up. People that claim the resurrection of Jesus did.

So if someone believes in female river they aren’t lying they just have false belief. If someone claims to have seen Jesus rose when He didn’t, then they are lying.

And as I said people won’t die for a known lie.

SkinnedWolf wrote:
I would say, on the contrary, that a shocking miracle would be a common claim of a minority nationalist.

If you are referring to black Israelite movement, then they do have clear political motive. They are angry at whites calling them inferior so they want to claim superiority instead. But with Christianity, the motive was far less clear as it clashed both with some of the Jewish interests and some of the Roman interests too. That’s why black Israelite movement is made up to suit ambitions, while Christianity is the truth in the way it exists.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 3:41 pm

QFT wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

Are you referring to Chinese forcing Muslims to eat pork? If so, I agree they do it, and I strongly oppose Chinese government on this one.

The Chinese government FORCES private enterprises and universities to provide Muslims with pork free food made from kitchen / tableware that has never touched pork.

No, their claims are more complicated.
But with regard to pork, a small number of Muslims will directly tell non muslims that "you who eat pork are dirty. Eating pork is equivalent to eating s**t".

QFT wrote:
Those people don’t claim to have seen anything physical that backs it up. People that claim the resurrection of Jesus did.

Do you assume that other religious beliefs lack source more than your religion?
What you haven't heard of doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 3:47 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
QFT wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

The Chinese government FORCES private enterprises and universities to provide Muslims with pork free food made from kitchen / tableware that has never touched pork.

That is interesting, because I read the opposite:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/ ... ng-expands

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 57966.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 67561.html

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 3:49 pm

QFT wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
QFT wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

That is interesting, because I read the opposite:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/ ... ng-expands

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 57966.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 67561.html

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=404930
By the way, Uighurs/Xinjiang-residents are not even the most common Muslims in China.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 3:51 pm

QFT wrote:
klanka wrote:

Well, my mother said she was in the bus and she was dozing off and suddenly saw a picture of a funeral. Few hours later she learned that her father (my grandfather) died at that exact time.

The problem with that though is that she is not a Christian, she is Jewish. And in fact she is a secular Jew. But I guess if God is real He can send messages to anyone if He chooses so.

That's strange, as the point of miracles is to lead people to Christ.
Maybe that will be used later to convert her.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 4:37 pm

QFT wrote:
“Take what you have and give it to the poor”
A request to follow Jesus without even waving farewell to a family (Luke 9:57-62)
)

Looks like many don't heed the scripture
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... mind.html/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 4:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There was an historical Jesus of Nazareth, I believe, who pissed off a lot of people because he went against both the Roman and the local rabbinical authorities..

There are plenty of examples of popular religious leaders becoming deified throughout the world. Jesus the man was married to other mythical beings. The execution and resurrection of jesus is the story of the Egyptian Osiris getting killed by Seth and then resurrected. His birthday is the same as the Persian-Roman god born on 25th December and his mother Mary is associated with Isis/Ishtar the mother goddess and the time of his resurrection is associated with fertility and rebirth rituals associated rabbits and eggs.

If Jesus does come back a second time, he would be rather bemused at the industry created surrounding his name and his magical deeds.