Should Donald Trump Face Federal Charges for January 6

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should Trump face charges for January 6?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 19 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 23

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2022, 4:34 pm

https://apple.news/APitLq1L3TMqq9BIplyt5zQ

The above is an opinion piece published in Time Magazine.

Frankly, Trump MUST be prosecuted, judged, convicted, and punished.

Whether this happens, I seriously doubt that will happen. I no longer have faith or respect for our elected leaders. I lost that faith and respect back in 1974, with Nixon and Watergate, and later with Sick Willie in the 1990’s. Trump’s antics and impeachment has more than convinced that our so-called “democracy” is totally broken, and not worth repairing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:47 am

Obviously, he must be prosecuted for multiple federal and state felonies.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2022, 1:48 pm

I don't think Trump's actions on that day were illegal.

Some of his actions on other days probably were, and he should face justice for those.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:05 pm

U.S. presidents never pay for their crimes, it's a tradition in America. I don't see that changing now.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:22 pm

MuddRM wrote:
. . . I no longer have faith or respect for our elected leaders. I lost that faith and respect back in 1974, with Nixon and Watergate, and later with Sick Willie in the 1990’s. Trump’s antics and impeachment has more than convinced that our so-called “democracy” is totally broken, and not worth repairing.
It is not that democracy is broken, it is that candidates are elected based on their wealth and charisma, and not on their integrity.  Nixon was a crook.  Clinton is an adulterer.  Trump is a grandiose liar.  All have had shady dealing besides their impeachable offenses.  We need better people, not a change in government.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:33 pm

IMO, Mr. Pumpkin will always be in denial that he lost the 2020 election, so I say yes he should.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:34 pm

He should absolutely face charges and be convicted. If not, he can run for president again.

One-party rule by the Dems, or something further to the left, is our only hope.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
He should absolutely face charges and be convicted.

IMO, if Trump faces charges and is convicted, he will continue to "play the victim" even while in jail.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:15 pm

Didn't they attempt to charge him twice with this already, and couldn't make the charges? What makes people think they can make them again, when they failed to meet the burden twice before?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 12:14 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
He should absolutely face charges and be convicted. If not, he can run for president again.

One-party rule by the Dems, or something further to the left, is our only hope.

Nothing in the constitution prevents him from running for president from prison. Eugene Debs did just that in 1920.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 9:42 am

ironpony wrote:
Didn't they attempt to charge him twice with this already, and couldn't make the charges? What makes people think they can make them again, when they failed to meet the burden twice before?

Trump was up for impeachment twice, but had the deck stacked in his favor with friendly members of Congress to prevent being voted out of office. He just had enough of them to block the outcome. Federal charges in court are a bit different, as he will not have the judges guaranteed stacked in his favor. The judges will consider the evidence of the crimes, not the political party he is affiliated with.

Yes, he could appeal up the ladder to the Supreme Court if the ruling goes against him in a federal court. He may find that the members up there might not help him the way he thinks they will. He can also find himself in state courts where the rules are a bit different in playing his legal games. Either way he will be spending time in front of the bench over and over again.

BTW - The legally taped conversations with state election officials is pretty damming evidence that he was trying to influence the election results via coercion and threats (a big no-no).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 9:47 am

As of the time I posted this, 89.5% of the poll respondents favored Trump facing federal charges for his crimes related to his attempted coup on January 6, 2020.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:26 am

Fnord wrote:
MuddRM wrote:
. . . I no longer have faith or respect for our elected leaders. I lost that faith and respect back in 1974, with Nixon and Watergate, and later with Sick Willie in the 1990’s. Trump’s antics and impeachment has more than convinced that our so-called “democracy” is totally broken, and not worth repairing.
It is not that democracy is broken, it is that candidates are elected based on their wealth and charisma, and not on their integrity.  Nixon was a crook.  Clinton is an adulterer.  Trump is a grandiose liar.  All have had shady dealing besides their impeachable offenses.  We need better people, not a change in government.

Agreed. I'd also like to see term limits for the House and Senate too. Some stay there way too long.

Trump should also be prosecuted. Politicians need to be reminded that they are not above the law.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 8:31 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Trump was up for impeachment twice, but had the deck stacked in his favor with friendly members of Congress to prevent being voted out of office. He just had enough of them to block the outcome. Federal charges in court are a bit different, as he will not have the judges guaranteed stacked in his favor. The judges will consider the evidence of the crimes, not the political party he is affiliated with.

Yes, he could appeal up the ladder to the Supreme Court if the ruling goes against him in a federal court. He may find that the members up there might not help him the way he thinks they will. He can also find himself in state courts where the rules are a bit different in playing his legal games. Either way he will be spending time in front of the bench over and over again.

BTW - The legally taped conversations with state election officials is pretty damming evidence that he was trying to influence the election results via coercion and threats (a big no-no).

Oh I see. Have these taped conversations been made available anywhere online to listen to?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Jun 2022, 9:25 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh I see. Have these taped conversations been made available anywhere online to listen to?
For example, Trump leaning on Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to overturn the 2020 election results.
I'm sure I've posted this for you before.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 9:35 am

Cornflake wrote:
ironpony wrote:
For example, Trump leaning on Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to overturn the 2020 election results.
I'm sure I've posted this for you before.

Thank you for posting that link, Cornflake. He did this with multiple states’ officials, not just that one. I was going to point out that select parts of those calls were televised during the January 6th Committee Hearings. In them Trump threatens legal actions if not enough votes are found for him. If that is not attempting to modify vote totals in an election, I do not know what else is.