Page 48 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 60  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 4:24 am

KitLily wrote:
It is the same in Britain. It was apparently okay in 2020 for our government to have parties without covid restrictions during lockdown, while the law said that no one should be meeting in large groups, we should be wearing masks and social distancing.

Didn't Boris hold a big party during COVID where everyone was maskless?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jul 2022, 6:22 am

^ Several.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 6:29 am

KitLily wrote:
It is. What is wrong with these people?

Did you know about the Windrush Scandal, where elderly Black people who had lived in Britain for over 50 years, were deported to the countries they were born in, even though their families are in Britain and they had no relatives or memories of the countries they were born in. That was disgraceful. Probably still happening, too!

Wait what? I thought Britain was only sending back people who came to the country illegally recently, but not ones who got there long time ago, even if it was illegally done. I mean, I could understand giving some fines to people who entered the country illegally years ago if they hadn't been punished somehow already, but sending them away goes too far.

...Please don't tell me the people they're sending away didn't even commit the crime of entering the country illegally, or the crime of staying in the country illegally after their visa was up, 'cause that would be just-

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 8:26 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
I don't see how this is a double standard, and it's a free country, in the sense that someone's daughter is allowed to do whatever they want to do, regardless of what the father thinks, isn't it?

Trump champions anti-abortion legislation but he obviously hides the fact his own daughter got an abortion. Dirty little secrets in the Trump family.

It reminds me of many conservative politicians in Australia who call for full fees at university, many of whom had children who went through free higher education.

Oh I see. It was said before that his daughter may have gotten one, but is there any actual proof?

Why does it matter?
That's her private business.

Oh well someone brought up how it was hypocritical, so I wanted to know about the accuracy of the hypocrisy is all.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jul 2022, 9:48 am

Fireblossom wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Did you know about the Windrush Scandal, where elderly Black people who had lived in Britain for over 50 years, were deported to the countries they were born in, even though their families are in Britain and they had no relatives or memories of the countries they were born in. That was disgraceful. Probably still happening, too!

Wait what? I thought Britain was only sending back people who came to the country illegally recently, but not ones who got there long time ago, even if it was illegally done. I mean, I could understand giving some fines to people who entered the country illegally years ago if they hadn't been punished somehow already, but sending them away goes too far.

...Please don't tell me the people they're sending away didn't even commit the crime of entering the country illegally, or the crime of staying in the country illegally after their visa was up, 'cause that would be just-

Basically the government destroyed the documents that said that some people had the right to be here, because they didn't think they needed them any more. Then a new government decided to deport people who couldn't easily prove they had the right to be in the country because their documents had been destroyed by the previous government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windrush_scandal

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:09 am

cyberdad wrote:

Yes, a lot of parties while people died alone, with relatives unable to visit them in their last moments. History will not judge him well.

I am not going to call him Boris because that sounds friendly and funny and approachable, which is all an act.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:10 am

Fireblossom wrote:

Here is an explanation of the Windrush situation. It would take me hours to work out how to explain it.

https://www.jcwi.org.uk/windrush-scandal-explained

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 11:58 am

ironpony wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Why does it matter?

Oh well someone brought up how it was hypocritical, so I wanted to know about the accuracy of the hypocrisy is all.

Imagine having your private sexual history discussed or exploited by Donald Trump?
People need to show common decency and respect.
Just because she's his daughter it doesn't mean she has no human rights.

The focus should be on his sexual transgressions with girls and women, not on his daughter's uterus.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 1:42 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
ironpony wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Why does it matter?

Imagine having your private sexual history discussed or exploited by Donald Trump?
People need to show common decency and respect.
Just because she's his daughter it doesn't mean she has no human rights.

The focus should be on his sexual transgressions with girls and women, not on his daughter's uterus.

This is totally fair but if Trump is protecting someone's right to privacy then you shouldn't be thought of a scummy and hypocritical for doing so.

TheRealGK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2022, 2:52 pm

I do not as a rule care about abortion but this could be helpful for autistic people. If scientists discover a way to pre-natally test for autism then restricting abortion would be necessary to prevent a genocide. This is a higher priority than anything else.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 2:54 pm

TheRealGK wrote:
This is a higher priority than anything else.

I would insist the bodily autonomy of half of the population is vastly more important.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 3:39 pm

Just out of curiosity, how come in American politics, progressives believe that people have the right to bodily autonomy when it comes to abortion, but not when it comes to whether or not to get covid vaccinations, and conservatives do not believe in bodily autonomy for abortion but do for vaccinations?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 3:42 pm

ironpony wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how come in American politics, progressives believe that people have the right to bodily autonomy when it comes to abortion, but not when it comes to whether or not to get covid vaccinations?

Not getting vaccinated or refusing to wear a mask can hurt other people. It’s not solely about that person; it can be deadly to others they come in contact with.

I realize that not everyone can be vaccinated, but I’d prefer those individuals to exercise extra care when it comes to social distancing and masking.

People are also required, by law, to wear seatbelts when driving and to wear helmets when riding motorcycles, depending on the state.

I believe in bodily autonomy as long as that autonomy does not infringe on the rights (and health) of other people.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 7:31 pm

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes, a lot of parties while people died alone, with relatives unable to visit them in their last moments. History will not judge him well.

I am not going to call him Boris because that sounds friendly and funny and approachable, which is all an act.

He seemed popular from down here? yes he wasn't known for keeping his nose clean. Didn't he also have a reputation of bed hopping with young women? his current wife could be his daughter

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 7:36 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
KitLily wrote:

it's happened here in the US too thanks to Trump. Some man got sent back to his home country despite the fact he was raised here in the US and adopted. He had no memories of his home countries, didn't know their language and culture and he had a wife and kids here but because his adoptive parents never applied him for a US citizenship, he was being deported. This is why I am against sending immigrants back to their home country. Not all of them came here illegally. Anyone who is okay with all this I think there is seriously something wrong with them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 7:50 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
KitLily wrote:

it's happened here in the US too thanks to Trump. Some man got sent back to his home country despite the fact he was raised here in the US and adopted. He had no memories of his home countries, didn't know their language and culture and he had a wife and kids here but because his adoptive parents never applied him for a US citizenship, he was being deported. This is why I am against sending immigrants back to their home country. Not all of them came here illegally. Anyone who is okay with all this I think there is seriously something wrong with them.

Yes our former foreign minister Peter Dutton tried to send back two little girls back to Sri Lanka who were born and bred in Australia and even though the entire town they lived in tried to block their deportation they were forced to be kept in limbo in a detention centre for several years. Eventually the whole country was in an uproar when one of the girls became sick and needed hospitalisation on the mainland. It was only when we had a new federal government that the girls and their parents were allowed to go home to Queensland.