Page 6 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 60  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:19 pm

We probably shouldn’t focus solely on such excruciating circumstances. Everyone should have the right to make a choice about their own body. Period.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
magz wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Can’t men in Arkansas just stop raping women?
Dear offenders, please, become law-abiding.  Thank you.  Problem solved.
Excellent!!  I don’t know why no one has thought of this before.  We should send the letter along with homemade brownies, though, for maximum efficacy.
Imagine all the time and effort put into enacting laws and penalties against rape, when we could have just asked those fellows to not rape anyone.

What a concept!  It boggles the mind . . .

:roll:

Is the answer to give rapists and predators free reign?

Laws against sexual predators are ineffective, therefore legalize sexual assault.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:22 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
magz wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Excellent!!  I don’t know why no one has thought of this before.  We should send the letter along with homemade brownies, though, for maximum efficacy.
Imagine all the time and effort put into enacting laws and penalties against rape, when we could have just asked those fellows to not rape anyone.

Laws against sexual predators are ineffective, therefore legalize sexual assault.

Is this a joke?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:23 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
magz wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

No, and the answer is certainly NOT to just nicely ask criminals not to commit crimes, either.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:24 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Is the answer to give rapists and predators free reign?  Laws against sexual predators are ineffective, therefore legalize sexual assault.
Is this a joke?
Reads more like one lonely man's plea to legalize rape.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Is the answer to give rapists and predators free reign?  Laws against sexual predators are ineffective, therefore legalize sexual assault.
Is this a joke?

I thought it was either an attempt to twist someone's words or a genuine misunderstanding.

Anyway the good thing is that hopefully women will be able to travel to more Liberal States in order to do what needs to be done.

Women used to have to travel to England from Ireland for the same reason.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:32 pm

We have the highest rate of teen pregnancy.Expect that to go up now.
https://www.aradvocates.org/data-arkans ... en-births/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:05 pm

babybird wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Is this a joke?
I thought it was either an attempt to twist someone's words or a genuine misunderstanding.  Anyway the good thing is that hopefully women will be able to travel to more Liberal States in order to do what needs to be done.  Women used to have to travel to England from Ireland for the same reason.
States like California may soon enact "Haven Laws" to cover such activities.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:05 pm

AngelRho wrote:
SpiralingCrow wrote:
babybird wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
babybird wrote:
And what about teenage/underage pregnancy?

Where would the law stand with that? Would that come under the category of rape?

I think you should do everything you can to prevent that from happening. How do underage children have the opportunity to have sex, and how do others (children or adults) get access to children in order to abuse them?

I admire that you are striving for an ideal world but it's not an ideal world and unfortunately these things do happen. Maybe in an ideal world there would be no need for abortion in the first place. I can't imagine that any woman would add having an abortion on her "to do" list or life plan.

Unfortunately, some people's version of an ideal world mean some rights get trampled on, like being able to choose to have an abortion.

Sadly, there are states that promote abstinence only and do not allow sex education in schools. So when horny teenagers have no clue about safe sex and give in to their perfectly normal pubescent urges and a child results, who is then responsible?Are the teens at fault for giving in to natural urges? Are the parents, educators or policy makers responsible? Even if those kids make in through high school without getting pregnant, now there is a group of young adults who know nothing about preventing pregnancy but also STDs. This is the ideal world those parents, educators and policy makers made.

Every single teenager isn’t getting pregnant. Teenage pregnancy is still the exception, not the rule. Not all teenagers are even giving into those natural urges. You are creating a world that does not exist—EVERY teenager has natural urges, EVERY teenager gives in to those urges, EVERY teenager gets pregnant, or if they don’t, EVERY young adult is ignorant about diseases and pregnancy. This is exaggerated, doesn’t reflect the real world, and isn’t logical.

Please tell me where I used the word every in my post? I was speaking in generalities. You inserted the "EVERY" yourself and kind of missed the point. You (collectively) cannot deny that SOME states deny sex education to students. SOME of these same states promote abstinence only. SOME teenagers are left completely unprepared for real world encounters and real world consequences. This is SOMEONE'S version of an ideal world. It attempts to control knowledge and how people behave. Banning abortion attempts to do same.

Truth is when governing for such a diverse population as the United States, such strictures and bans really can't work. SOME laws must be open ended to allow different people from different backgrounds to function together.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:17 pm

Misslizard wrote:
We have the highest rate of teen pregnancy.Expect that to go up now.
https://www.aradvocates.org/data-arkans ... en-births/

Expect most sensible young women / women of any age to pretty much stop having sex now.

I can think of way better ways to risk my entire future.

Also:
I can't help but think of the numbers of teen suicide and honor killings that will happen as a result.
Not to mention homelessness, hunger, poverty, and child abuse.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:35 pm

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jun 2022, 4:39 pm

AngelRho wrote:
magz wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
{But then the problem is not with an abortion ban. The problem is rape.} Can’t men in Arkansas just stop raping women?
Dear offenders, please, become law-abiding. Thank you.
Problem solved.
Do you mean to say that it is acceptable to you for men to rape women?
:roll: That's a terrible attempt at sidestepping the point.

The point being that women become pregnant as a result of incest and rape even though those things are illegal. So yeah, an abortion ban is most certainly a problem - AIUI, banning abortion even in the case of incest or rape is a consideration.
How's that for a kick in the face of a rape victim - "While we're desperately sorry you were raped you must nevertheless carry his child to birth. Thoughts and prayers, etc."

Next on the chopping block will be premarital sex, same-sex marriage, contraception, spousal rape and so on.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jun 2022, 4:45 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Trump is incoherent at best.
Yahoo article wrote:
But in an interview that Fox News published after the decision Friday, Trump, asked about his role, said, “God made the decision.” He said the decision was “following the Constitution, and giving rights back when they should have been given long ago.”
Ah - giving those rights to someone other than the woman concerned, you mean?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:48 pm

Men:
Can have sex (or force sex), walk away, never know the outcome.

Women:
Can have sex (or be forced), become pregnant, be thrown out of family for having had sex (which is apparent when you are pregnant), be thrown out of family for being pregnant, have everyone in town talk about it because they will see your belly, suffer mental and physical abuse from family / friends / social media, endure shaming, medical trauma or complications from pregnancy, months of nausea and body changes, stuck with the financial burden of medical appointments, missed school or work, having to raise a baby (all of baby's needs plus their medical expenses including possible NICU or birth complications), daycare, childcare, etc. not just for 18 years but possibly longer.

I'm not saying all men walk away but they could.

It's incomprehensible to me that this is considered equality, or that some people don't see it as unfair.

Also I'm surprised more men aren't freaking out in USA because with all these potential pregnancies they will be on the hook for at least 18 years of child support every time they want to hook up. That includes married fathers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:49 pm

Trump said the abolition of Roe v. Wade would be bad for Republicans?!

What about the victims of rape and incest?

Oh . . . right . . . "If Ivanka weren't my daughter, perhaps I'd be dating her" . . . "Don’t you think my daughter’s hot?  She’s hot, right?" . . . "She's got the best body." . . . "She’s actually always been very voluptuous." -- Various quotes from Donald J. Trump

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:55 pm

It's amusing how bad logic ultimately led him to the right idea.