Page 13 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 60  Next

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Truck runs over woman's foot during Roe v. Wade protest
Quote:
Witnesses at a rally in Cedar Rapids Friday say a truck ran over a woman's foot during a peaceful pro-choice protest.

Iowa author Lyz Lenz posted a photo of the incident on Twitter Friday evening, and said everyone seems to be OK.

Lenz claims two women were crossing the street, using a crosswalk, outside the U.S. District Court Federal Court House in Cedar Rapids, and one of them got her foot runover.

She also said it was "terrifying."

Iowa's News Now has a crew on scene and spoke with the woman who was injured Friday evening.

“I was over here, I turned around the light was red, and the truck got impatient for whatever reason and charged into the crowd," said Alexis Russell who was hit by the truck. "There’s at least three people, I look over I see people trying to push the truck back, and I just instantly got mad and ran over and tried to stop the truck. I tried to stop him, he grabbed (and) ripped my sign, and push me down drove off and that was it.”

Cedar Rapids Police say one person went to the hospital following the incident. Police say a preliminary investigation shows protesters were crossing the street with the proper signal. That signal then changed, but the group was still crossing the street using the crosswalk.

Police say a verbal confrontation began between the protestors and a driver before 'contact was made between a vehicle and one of the pedestrians.'
I live in Cedar Rapids. I actually drove by there probably shortly after it happened(I was doing DoorDash deliveries)and I say that bc there were police and another type of emergency vehicle there, along with all the protesters who were right off the edge of the road. To my surprise, I didn't hear much noise from them. I thought the cops were there to keep them from getting violent, but my stepmom later told me why they were really there.

Last edited by CubsBullsBears on 24 Jun 2022, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:46 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
Witnesses at a rally in Cedar Rapids Friday say a truck ran over a woman's foot during a peaceful pro-choice protest.

Iowa author Lyz Lenz posted a photo of the incident on Twitter Friday evening, and said everyone seems to be OK.

Lenz claims two women were crossing the street, using a crosswalk, outside the U.S. District Court Federal Court House in Cedar Rapids, and one of them got her foot runover.

Iowa's News Now has a crew on scene and spoke with the woman who was injured Friday evening.

“I was over here, I turned around the light was red, and the truck got impatient for whatever reason and charged into the crowd," said Alexis Russell who was hit by the truck. "There’s at least three people, I look over I see people trying to push the truck back, and I just instantly got mad and ran over and tried to stop the truck. I tried to stop him, he grabbed (and) ripped my sign, and push me down drove off and that was it.”

Cedar Rapids Police say one person went to the hospital following the incident. Police say a preliminary investigation shows protesters were crossing the street with the proper signal. That signal then changed, but the group was still crossing the street using the crosswalk.

Police say a verbal confrontation began between the protestors and a driver before 'contact was made between a vehicle and one of the pedestrians.'
I live in Cedar Rapids. I actually drove by there probably shortly after it happened(I was doing DoorDash deliveries)and I say that bc there were police and another type of emergency vehicle there, which I thought was to keep them from getting violent, but my stepmom later told me why they were really there.

Were the cops protecting the protestors or trying to arrest them?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:49 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

I live in Cedar Rapids. I actually drove by there probably shortly after it happened(I was doing DoorDash deliveries)and I say that bc there were police and another type of emergency vehicle there, which I thought was to keep them from getting violent, but my stepmom later told me why they were really there.

Were the cops protecting the protestors or trying to arrest them?
I didn't get too long of a look at it but it didn't look like they were doing that.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 1:14 am

Well, I hope the states that ban abortion increase funding for FASD and whatever the drug equivalent is, along with measures to deal with children who grow up in broken homes. If there is a spike in crime in the US in the next couple decades, Conservatives only have themselves to blame.

There will undoubtedly be a spike in all manner of unholy remedies posted online to try and force a woman's body to miscarry if ingested early enough; sure, many probably won't work, and may have unforeseen side effects, but that's even more problematic.

If all women with the means up and made a mass exodus to blue states that would undoubtedly be a problem for red states, though such a mass movement is unlikely for a variety of reasons. I can't think of what else the affected population can do however, aside from waiting for the inevitable schism that splits up the US that will come as a result of Republicans no longer pretending to run a democracy (this latest ruling is just one such example).

I am pro-life by the way, but I'm what I call a practical pro-life. I recognize that women may make the hard choice to terminate their pregnancy for a variety of reasons, and banning it doesn't actually address the issues that lead to such a choice. Instead, I believe in funding services to provide assistance and help women understand their options while helping them walk out whatever choice they inevitably make. I highly doubt such services will see an increase in funding under the new laws.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 2:09 am

Tross wrote:
I can't think of what else the affected population can do however,

Something very drastic.

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 25 Jun 2022, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jun 2022, 2:43 am

CubsBullsBears wrote:
I had gotten kicked off a discord just for saying one little thing against abortion. :( :( :(

I have a more moderate opinion on the situation. I never said someone should be forced to raise a child they don’t want, just that they can put it up for adoption rather than abort. I also said that I was worried that states won’t make exceptions to their bans(rape, incest, a woman’s life in danger). I’m not right wing and I explained that to them, but they were still having none of it.

I’ve seen a lot of pro-choice memes today and in the past and I understand a lot of them. But at the same time I just don’t think it’s morally proper to choose abortion over adoptions except for the reasons I said earlier. They also made it sound like the adoption agency is terrible. That could just be their experience, Idk.

They metaphorically took turns beating up on me then put a gun to my face and pulled the trigger(kicking me off the discord).

That isn't really a "moderate" position in the sense of being between two extremes, it's basically just the anti-abortion view.

People don't have abortions for fun, or because they're not aware of the adoption route. They have abortions because carrying the foetus to term is intolerable.

In general, if you try to list out all the acceptable exceptions to a law then you'll probably miss some. In a case like this, which really only affect the mother, better to leave it up to the judgement of the individual, who has a better idea than any moralising lawmaker about what's right for her.

Adoption certainly isn't a panacea. There are far more children up for adoption than there are families wanting to adopt a child.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 3:15 am

Pol Pot allowed women more freedom than most GOP governors.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 3:30 am

This is how red states are dealing with protesters

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 3:50 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Tear gas used to disperse protestors outside Arizona Capitol building, officials say
Quote:
Late Friday, law enforcement in Arizona used tear gas to disperse a crowd of abortion rights supporters protesting outside the State Capitol in Phoenix.
"Troopers deployed tear gas after a crowd of protesters repeatedly pounded on the glass doors of the State Senate Building," Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesperson Bart Graves told CNN.

The crowd then moved across the street to the Wesley Bolin Plaza, where police used the tear gas after a monument was vandalized, Graves said.

"While working inside we were interrupted by the sound of bangs and smell of tear gas," Arizona State Rep. Sarah Liguori, a Democrat, tweeted from inside the building. She added: "Protestors cleared from the Capitol."

Tensions erupt across several protests in DTLA, Hollywood after Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade
Quote:
At around 6:54 p.m., protesters marched onto the northbound side of the in 110 Freeway at Fifth Street, holding signs and blocking traffic.

One man was seen prodding a large rod at a passing car.

One of the signs could be seen from above the protest that read "Post Roe Hell No."

Law enforcement began zoning in shortly after.

In Hollywood, the intersection on Highland Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard was blocked off by a large group and has since reopened. No incidents were reported.

Later in the evening, AIR7 HD captured what appeared to be protesters throwing what looked like fireworks at police.

The Los Angeles Police Department issued a dispersal order to the area of 4th Street and Main Street, asking citizens to stay away from the area.

Police in riot gear were confronted by several rowdy protesters, some throwing fireworks and items at authorities.

AIR7 HD showed a man getting dragged on the ground by police.

The LAPD said in a statement that they are "working closely with federal, state and local partners to access, assess and identify any potential threats related to this group and any other groups that may attempt to harm the public."

Protests built into the evening in a number of cities, including thousands demonstrating against the decision outside the barricaded Supreme Court.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:25 am

I'm surprised Ducey's storm troopers dropped tear gas and not napalm.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2022, 5:35 am

Which is about time it was reversed.

In my mind, abortion is murder! Life begins when sperm infiltrates egg. Doesn’t matter if the sex was consensual or not.

However, the law doesn’t go far enough. Doctors who perform this procedure, and the women who submit to this procedure should be arrested, prosecuted, and convicted of first degree murder, which should be punished by execution.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 5:59 am

BLM sized riots underway over the ruling across America
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... 4b776da886

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:12 am

MuddRM wrote:
Which is about time it was reversed.

In my mind, abortion is murder! Life begins when sperm infiltrates egg. Doesn’t matter if the sex was consensual or not.

However, the law doesn’t go far enough. Doctors who perform this procedure, and the women who submit to this procedure should be arrested, prosecuted, and convicted of first degree murder, which should be punished by execution.

Your pro death penalty, but your anti abortion. That's a bit of a contradiction. You certainly can't describe yourself as pro life.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:36 am

cyberdad wrote:

Not close. In Phoenix people were banging on the doors of the state capital and were quickly dispersed with tear gas, in L.A. some people threw firecrackers at cops. In New York somebody threw a rock through the window of a women’s Republican club, and somebody spray painted something at Fox News headquarters. Those are incidents, not riots. No looting or arson

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:46 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Not close. In Phoenix people were banging on the doors of the state capital and were quickly dispersed with tear gas, in L.A. some people threw firecrackers at cops. In New York somebody threw a rock through the window of a women’s Republican club, and somebody spray painted something at Fox News headquarters. Those are incidents, not riots. No looting or arson

I want to see rioting, looting and arson!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 Jun 2022, 8:13 am

... and some people will be happy about it.