Page 26 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 60  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 9:05 pm

Honestly, I don't know.
Despite my huge investment with this thread, I'm not American.
I don't even know which states are considered red or blue.

All I know is that the Supreme Court of USA has left it up to states.
Women's choice used to be protected by the 14th Amendment, and now it's not.
It's like they are no longer US citizens, since their fundamental rights differ from men's.

My question to Americans is what is Biden doing about this?
What has Nancy Pelosi said?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 9:11 pm

I did recall Nancy Pelosi give a speech to protest a couple of weeks ago. This is just my opinion, but I don't know if it's appropriate for a President's cabinet to tell people to protest an issue though, because the leader of the country is suppose to remain neutral to supreme court decisions I think, so I thought it may have been inappropriate for Pelosi to tell people to protest. But that is just me (shrug).

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 9:25 pm

ironpony wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Two fourteen year olds have sex, she gets pregnant.How can the boy support her and the baby? He can’t stay in school and work full time.He won’t have a good paying job.How can she stay in school and care for a child?
Then grandparents who are almost done with child raising ,might have to start all over.

Well could they have some sort of insurance for this in the government or something like that?

Even if they did, the grandparents shouldn’t have to devote their time to something they didn’t plan or want.
It won’t give the teenagers back their childhood.
Once you have a kid it’s a 24/7 responsibility that always comes first.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 9:41 pm

Those are good points. Well when it comes to the idea of a sex strike for example, when I have sex, and I rely on the condoms and birth control, hoping that will be enough for the job. I don't rely on maybe the woman will be willing to abort, and the government being there to assist her. So since I am willing to take the risk that abortion may not happen, and relying 100 percent on the contraceptives, can't other people do this as well and still have sex?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 9:49 pm

People can do whatever they want if it's consensual, ironpony.

That's the whole point of this thread.
It's about choice.

My point is this:

Despite you being responsible and using birth control, what if an accident happened?
What if you were the girl / woman and you had no choice but to carry that baby, or raise it?
What if you split from the other partner and had no financial assistance?
Or you were already ill and would need to stop your medical treatment because of pregnancy?
What if you found out the baby had severe defects?
What if you already had children?
What if your partner / family was threatening you?
What if you didn't even want to have sex, but someone raped you as you walked down the street?
What if you couldn't even go to your doctor for medical advice, because it would be tracked?
What if you couldn't get prenatal care to see if you / the baby were healthy? (It would be tracked)
What if you lost the baby naturally and people accused you of murder?

Shite happens.
Most of these babies are unexpected, or they wouldn't be conceived in the first place.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 10:00 pm

Tubal ligation fails 1 in 200 cases.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4137647/
I had mine done after my second c- section.I didn’t want to have another major surgery or child.If they had reconnected ,I would have terminated the pregnancy.Now some women won’t have that option.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 10:11 pm

I lost a baby at five months.
I could be accused of murder, especially given the circumstance of my conception.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 10:20 pm

I'm sorry to hear that!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 6:08 am

It’s absolutely ridiculous to blame a miscarriage on a woman carrying a baby.

It’s hard enough for a woman who loses her baby.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 6:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s absolutely ridiculous to blame a miscarriage on a woman carrying a baby.

It’s hard enough for a woman who loses her baby.

You are right. It is ridiculous. But, it would not surprise me that somewhere miscarriages could be placed under greater scrutiny to ensure that nothing nefarious occured. Not just bodily autonomy, but also privacy will go out the window. I've had two miscarriages and they were absolutely soul crushing. To put a woman through such scrutiny during such an emotional time is just cruel.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 6:44 am

I don't think the government could or would bother to monitor every pregnant person like that. Wouldn't the Fourth amendment laws get in the way of the police or FBI being able to monitor that for example?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

29 Jun 2022, 6:50 am

They wouldn't need to monitor - the hospital or medical staff could report anything remotely suspicious about a miscarriage, possibly including reports from others about their suspicions.
See my earlier post about "goodwife Bessie".

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 7:10 am

ironpony wrote:
I don't think the government could or would bother to monitor every pregnant person like that. Wouldn't the Fourth amendment laws get in the way of the police or FBI being able to monitor that for example?

It would be done done at state or local level. This ruling allows states to make their own laws regarding abortion. We will see how draconian some of these state laws could become.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 7:45 am

Oh I see. But even if it's done state to state, the fourth amendment is federal and applies to all states though, doesn't it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 7:50 am

It's more complicated than that, unfortunately, when it comes to state laws vis a vis federal laws.

One glaring example: desegregation of schools was a federal mandate stating in 1954-----but most of the South didn't begin to follow that mandate until the 1970s.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 7:52 am

But if a lawyer brings up if fourth amendment laws were violated in a case, the judge is not going to say that they don't have a fourth amendment in their state, when they do, and hope it will stick, will they?