Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,362

17 Jul 2022, 2:21 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
And I thought Billy Graham was more interested in making massive amounts of money than Jesus.

I guess you learn something new every day.


He and Jimmy Swaggart



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,980
Location: Abbottistan

17 Jul 2022, 5:04 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
And I thought Billy Graham was more interested in making massive amounts of money than Jesus.

I guess you learn something new every day.


At least it's not a statue of his son, Franklin.

As far as religious conservatism goes, Billy wouldn't be the only one with a statue. There's a little state called Utah.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,209
Location: Queens, NYC

17 Jul 2022, 5:31 am

There’s actually lots of liberal, secular folks in the Salt Lake City area.

I believe in the separation of church and state. If Billy Graham actually was one who came up with great inventions that would have, say, gave indoor plumbing to even the poorest folks in North Carolina, then I might see how he could be a “hero” worthy of a statue in the Capitol.

However, basically, he was a preacher who espoused a conservative, retrogressive form of Christianity, and he was paid handsomely for this.

He didn’t seem like a bad person. But I’m not a bad person, either. Neither are millions of other people.



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 108,254
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

17 Jul 2022, 9:44 am

I never did like Billy Graham. I don't appreciate the types of Christians who try to insinuate what LGBTQ people should and should not be doing. His statue being there would be sending a very rigid and backward message. America should be moving forward, not backwards.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 47
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

17 Jul 2022, 7:23 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I never did like Billy Graham. I don't appreciate the types of Christians who try to insinuate what LGBTQ people should and should not be doing. His statue being there would be sending a very rigid and backward message. America should be moving forward, not backwards.


I frankly think that if they chose a statute of a random guy named Bubba (with dirty overalls and work boots) whose primary interest was shooting squirrels from his back porch it would be a better choice.

In all seriousness, they have many Civil Rights figures. Maybe it’s time to get a statue that represents a person who was (or is) important for LGBT+ rights.


_________________
Away.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,362

17 Jul 2022, 10:50 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I frankly think that if they chose a statute of a random guy named Bubba (with dirty overalls and work boots) whose primary interest was shooting squirrels from his back porch it would be a better choice.


You would need to equip Bubba's statue with a red MAGA cap, pick up truck and an AR-15

Image



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,209
Location: Queens, NYC

18 Jul 2022, 8:41 am

Most Appalachian types really aren't into the crap Trump is into. They only vote for him because he's a Republican, and they are Republicans.

All they want to do is survive. If Biden found a practical way to fix some of these peoples' shacks, and fix their lives in other ways I believe they would vote for Biden. Just like they voted for FDR because of things like the Tennessee Valley Authority.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,209
Location: Queens, NYC

18 Jul 2022, 8:50 am

I've actually met some quite decent and intelligent "Bubba" types.

I don't really like the stereotype----unless a "Bubba" is a racist, or otherwise an idiot.

I would pick Andy Griffith over Billy Graham.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

18 Jul 2022, 9:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most Appalachian types really aren't into the crap Trump is into. They only vote for him because he's a Republican, and they are Republicans.

All they want to do is survive. If Biden found a practical way to fix some of these peoples' shacks, and fix their lives in other ways I believe they would vote for Biden. Just like they voted for FDR because of things like the Tennessee Valley Authority.


They are most concerned about not having their guns taken away.


_________________
Away.


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

18 Jul 2022, 9:21 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would pick Andy Griffith over Billy Graham.


I would actually pick a woman. There are very few female statues.

There are 266 statues, busts, and monuments. Only 14 of them are female.


_________________
Away.


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,980
Location: Abbottistan

18 Jul 2022, 9:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I frankly think that if they chose a statute of a random guy named Bubba (with dirty overalls and work boots) whose primary interest was shooting squirrels from his back porch it would be a better choice.


You would need to equip Bubba's statue with a red MAGA cap, pick up truck and an AR-15

Image


Any gun would work, because this fits the profile of most pro-2nd amendment people.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 85,209
Location: Queens, NYC

18 Jul 2022, 9:26 am

Roberta Flack might fill the bill for a statue.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

18 Jul 2022, 9:29 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I frankly think that if they chose a statute of a random guy named Bubba (with dirty overalls and work boots) whose primary interest was shooting squirrels from his back porch it would be a better choice.


You would need to equip Bubba's statue with a red MAGA cap, pick up truck and an AR-15

Image


Any gun would work, because this fits the profile of most pro-2nd amendment people.


I don’t want to stereotype people, but they make it so, so difficult not to.


_________________
Away.


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

18 Jul 2022, 9:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've actually met some quite decent and intelligent "Bubba" types.

I don't really like the stereotype----unless a "Bubba" is a racist, or otherwise an idiot.

I would pick Andy Griffith over Billy Graham.


I don’t think I’ve met one that was decent AND intelligent. That’s a pretty tall order…

Of course, intelligent people can have retrogressive views…


_________________
Away.


Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,504

18 Jul 2022, 10:29 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I've actually met some quite decent and intelligent "Bubba" types.

I don't really like the stereotype----unless a "Bubba" is a racist, or otherwise an idiot.

I would pick Andy Griffith over Billy Graham.


I don’t think I’ve met one that was decent AND intelligent. That’s a pretty tall order…

Of course, intelligent people can have retrogressive views…


You need to forgive. When you forgive you will be opening your heart to love and healing.

The more intelligent you are, the more you will realize that what I have said is true.



Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,864
Location: Small Town From Hell

18 Jul 2022, 11:06 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I've actually met some quite decent and intelligent "Bubba" types.

I don't really like the stereotype----unless a "Bubba" is a racist, or otherwise an idiot.

I would pick Andy Griffith over Billy Graham.


I don’t think I’ve met one that was decent AND intelligent. That’s a pretty tall order…

Of course, intelligent people can have retrogressive views…


You need to forgive. When you forgive you will be opening your heart to love and healing.

The more intelligent you are, the more you will realize that what I have said is true.


8O

What are you talking about? Who do I “need” to forgive?

I’m seriously stumped. Maybe you are not recognizing satire.

On the topic of forgiveness in general, sometimes it’s healthy and empowering to choose not to. It takes intelligence and, sometimes, courage to realize that, especially for people who’ve been subjected to religious dogma and trauma.

(On a side note, you really shouldn’t tell people that they “need” to forgive. That’s their choice and right as autonomous individuals. There are specific individuals who I won’t forgive and making that choice feels bloody awesome.)


_________________
Away.