Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 12:24 pm

Babies are enemies of God. Maybe this religious group should be pro-choice then. :lol:

The guy talking is a member of the Governing Body (Stephen Lett) - one of the 7 or 8 men who leads the Jehovah's Witness religion. He's nuts, so he's an ideal cult leader.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:25 pm

He's teaching mainstream Christian doctrine, that we are all sinners. But he is using inflammatory language to be a bit controversial.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 2:42 pm

klanka wrote:
He's teaching mainstream Christian doctrine, that we are all sinners. But he is using inflammatory language to be a bit controversial.

Imagine watching this video as a new parent with a sweet and helpless baby in your arms and then hearing that this innocent baby is an “enemy of God.”

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 3:13 pm

Do you watch Dr Ramani?

This is a really helpful episode pertaining to Narcissistic Abuse and Religion.

I first saw it months ago and I thought of you straight away.

Just thought it might help.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 3:26 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Do you watch Dr Ramani?

This is a really helpful episode pertaining to Narcissistic Abuse and Religion.

I first saw it months ago and I thought of you straight away.

Just thought it might help.

Thanks, I don’t follow her specifically, but I follow some others.

I just thought this was a funny clip.

It is interesting how some of the staunchest pro-lifers think that helpless babies are God’s enemies. It’s a topsy turvy world, especially when you’re in a cult.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 6:49 pm

he's being hyperbolic cos he really wants to get his message across..
Now that is going to turn a lot of people off. I don't agree with the way he is wording it.

He could have psychological problems

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 7:18 pm

klanka wrote:
he's being hyperbolic cos he really wants to get his message across..
Now that is going to turn a lot of people off. I don't agree with the way he is wording it.

He could have psychological problems

He's not being hyperbolic. That's what he actually believes. (He's a leader of my former religion.) Yes, he might have mental problems although this craziness is typical of the group in general.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 8:15 pm

Just a thought:

Image Image

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 8:23 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Just a thought:

Image Image

You must watch this:

He just makes it too easy. He actually is perfectly capable of talking normally in conversation, so I feel like making fun of his characteristics during cult sermons are fair game.

His gay nephew committed suicide due to the cult's teachings. He gave an anti-gay sermon not too long afterwards.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 8:41 pm

It's really sad. It must be hard for you to watch.

I didn't really have friends in high school, but the closest I came was two JW sisters who were always really kind to me. I remember going to their house one day and being up in their shared bedroom looking at a random magazine, or something like that. It was completely harmless whatever we were doing, but they were terrified of getting caught because I wasn't JW and I wasn't supposed to be there, even though they wanted to be my friend. I still have quite a few photos of them from one day when I took my camera to school and we were outside taking pictures. Every now and then I look at those photos and wonder how they are today. They were the sweetest and most sincere kids I ever met at that time of my life.

I kind of remember that they were unhappy and wanted to get out of it. I think the older one liked a boy at school or she was doing something that made her very nervous. It brings back so many sad memories for me just thinking about them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 9:12 pm

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 10:10 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
It's really sad. It must be hard for you to watch.

I didn't really have friends in high school, but the closest I came was two JW sisters who were always really kind to me. I remember going to their house one day and being up in their shared bedroom looking at a random magazine, or something like that. It was completely harmless whatever we were doing, but they were terrified of getting caught because I wasn't JW and I wasn't supposed to be there, even though they wanted to be my friend. I still have quite a few photos of them from one day when I took my camera to school and we were outside taking pictures. Every now and then I look at those photos and wonder how they are today. They were the sweetest and most sincere kids I ever met at that time of my life.

I kind of remember that they were unhappy and wanted to get out of it. I think the older one liked a boy at school or she was doing something that made her very nervous. It brings back so many sad memories for me just thinking about them.

That is sad. I hope they were able to wake up and lead fulfilling lives as adults.

I'm not triggered by the videos. I just find them really odd. The Governing Body used to work completely behind the scenes. I didn't know who they were or what they looked like. As a believer, I tried to envision a group of wise and holy men expounding on the Word of God. And the videos above are the reality. :lol: I tried not to think about the bad stuff too much although I had crippling anxiety from having to preach and constant anger and frustration due to the misogyny, which kept me in an abusive situation, and the homophobia.

Yes, I do find the bad stuff sad and, sometimes, triggering. They keep on getting hit with massive child abuse lawsuits, which I wasn't really that aware of when I was in, so maybe they will eventually go under

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 10:13 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

LOL

We just don't talk about evil babies enough on WP. They pose a real threat to society.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 10:42 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

That is sad. I hope they were able to wake up and lead fulfilling lives as adults.

I just googled the name of the younger one and found her Facebook page. All I can see publicly are a lot of memes related to heartbreak and nostalgia. It's hard to tell if she's still JW or not but maybe JW wouldn't be allowed to use social media? It seems like maybe she had a divorce as well based on some of the memes, but it's hard to know what she's getting at without seeing the big picture. I actually started crying to see her profile photo because I remember her so well. I loved that girl and I suddenly feel like she was my only friend. I hope she's doing OK. It was tempting to reach out but chances are she wouldn't even remember me.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 11:04 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I just googled the name of the younger one and found her Facebook page. All I can see publicly are a lot of memes related to heartbreak and nostalgia. It's hard to tell if she's still JW or not but maybe JW wouldn't be allowed to use social media? It seems like maybe she had a divorce as well based on some of the memes, but it's hard to know what she's getting at without seeing the big picture. I actually started crying to see her profile photo because I remember her so well. I loved that girl and I suddenly feel like she was my only friend. I hope she's doing OK. It was tempting to reach out but chances are she wouldn't even remember me.

They are allowed to cautiously use social media these days as long as they avoid information or people that are critical of their religious beliefs or that violate them in some other way. It was another change since I left.

It's hard to say if she's in or out. Sometimes you can tell by their friends' pictures (been there, done that).

It's unusual for JWs to divorce, but it can happen. Technically, they aren't allowed to (or there will be consequences) except for cases of adultery.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 11:12 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

They are allowed to cautiously use social media these days as long as they avoid information or people that are critical of their religious beliefs or that violate them in some other way. It was another change since I left.

It's hard to say if she's in or out. Sometimes you can tell by their friends' pictures (been there, done that).

It's unusual for JWs to divorce, but it can happen. Technically, they aren't allowed to (or there will be consequences) except for cases of adultery.

That's what I was thinking: If she got divorced she likely isn't JW anymore. There's a lot of reference to heartbreak and getting over someone. You know, those "I will survive" types of memes ... but more suggestive of relationship loss than a difficult life. I can't see her friends list or anything. I can't even find her sister. There's a reference to her dad having passed away. I wonder if that's what set her free, if she did get out?

I'm starting to remember I think we were listening to Prince or talking about Prince in the bedroom lol.

It would have been 1983.