Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Aug 2007, 11:29 am

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is a theory in psychology that Abraham Maslow proposed in his 1943 paper A Theory of Human Motivation

Basically, if our basic needs are not met we will not be able to realize our growth needs to become all that we have the potential to be. Do you agree with this theory? Does having Aspergers make it more difficult to satisfy your basic needs? Do you believe you are on the road to self actualization, or perhaps already arrived there? Is Self Actualization an ongoing process and never really attained until you breathe your last breath? These and any other thoughts you have on the subject, please.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2007, 11:52 am

I have a hard time believing that happiness is something that formulaic.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Aug 2007, 12:05 pm

_

Are your wounds self or other inflicted? (Referring to your Avatar) Off topic? Perhaps.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 12:08 pm

wow I have very few of those

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2007, 12:13 pm

Quote:
_

Are your wounds self or other inflicted? (Referring to your Avatar) Off topic? Perhaps.

Some self done, some professionally done. And the proper term is "body modification."

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Aug 2007, 12:32 pm

Kilroy wrote:
wow I have very few of those

I think then, that you must make it a priority to acquire more. I would assume that you have enough air, food & water, a home, friends (at least you seem well liked on WP). That's a good foundation to build on.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 12:33 pm

no friends :(
yes I have food and water and shelter, air

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Aug 2007, 12:34 pm

- wrote:
Quote:
_

M
Some self done, some professionally done. And the proper term is "body modification."

I just got my eyebrow pierced, if that's what you mean by "body modification". My daughter took me to have it done for my 65th birthday.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 12:37 pm

wow yor 65 with an eye brow peircing
(you gotta be the coolest older person ever!) :D

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2007, 1:25 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
I just got my eyebrow pierced, if that's what you mean by "body modification". My daughter took me to have it done for my 65th birthday.

Wow, that's awesome! I take it your basic needs are met, then.

I think I use the bottom level-basic needs to substitute for some of the higher needs. I.e., I eat when I'm sad or lonely. This is not good. And of course it doesn't actually work. What does it mean that I'm only adept at filling/using those basic needs? Am I primitive, or psycho?

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Aug 2007, 2:12 pm

EatingPoetry wrote:
cosmiccat wrote:

Wow, that's awesome! I take it your basic needs are met, then.

I think I use the bottom level-basic needs to substitute for some of the higher needs. I.e., I eat when I'm sad or lonely. This is not good. And of course it doesn't actually work. What does it mean that I'm only adept at filling/using those basic needs? Am I primitive, or psycho?

:lol: Having my brow pierced does not necessarily mean that my basic needs are met. But I suppose in a way it could be interpreted like that. If I am secure enough in myself to follow my heart and do something that most people (society at large) would think inappropriate for a person my age, then my basic need to be secure with who I am, my basic need of self esteem has probably been met.

Yes, I agree that food addiction, or any kind of addiction is being substituted for a higher level need. I also think that it is possible to aspire to the highest level needs at the top of the pyramid and even acquire them even if some of the middle level and even lower level needs have not been entirely met. People can be deprived of sexual gratification and still function at high levels of actualization. It may not be the ideal situation, but it can be possible. Does your use of food to quell your sadness or loneliness mean you are not adept enough to attain higher needs? No, IMO, not at all. Life is growth. :lol: I don't think you are primitive or psycho. You are having growing pains, that's all.

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2007, 2:43 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
Life is growth. :lol: I don't think you are primitive or psycho. You are having growing pains, that's all.

Well, I think you're right about acquiring higher needs even if a few lower ones are wanting. I do hope I can manage this, as currently the pain of growing is manifesting in my pant size! :? :wink:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Aug 2007, 2:04 am

not according to that thing, but i do have shelter, food& internet so im not complaining :D

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 9:08 am

I have studied it before. I think it is pretty basic. It really applies to motivation within the work force. it is fro NTs not people on the spectrum. Some Aspies are actually pretty motivated without some of these. Not that their isn't some truth in it obviously, but if you expect it to be this formulaic and ordered hierarchy just because somebody in 1943 had a brain flash then you might need to question your reason. He is famous for the model, it like saying Tom’s scale it is still only a scale. It is better than that guy who said workers liked being watched. If they do, that is probably why I don’t want to go near them weirdoes.

rideforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2007, 9:15 am

I've got everything in Red. How am I doing ?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 10:13 am

Kilroy wrote:
no friends :(
yes I have food and water and shelter, air

I don't have any air, that's the only thing I'm low on. Anyone know where I can get some more?