To Woke, or not to Woke. Mr. Apu on the Simpsons.

Page 9 of 19 [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 8:09 pm

Well the thing about the woke crowd it seems, is that they are offended by a non-white characters in animation it seems. But if they keep getting their wish, and all these non-white characters are going to further be removed or cancelled from fiction, all that's going to be left are the white characters in the end.

Is that really what the woke crowd wants a result?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 9:57 pm

ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The people in positions of power making decisions about entertainment content right now are probably the first gen who grew up as children in the era when civil rights, gay rights, disability rights and women's rights started taking effect in the late 60s and early 70s

I highlight disability rights because it amuses me that many here claim to be advocates for autism but hate wokeism :roll:

You can't have it both ways...

I am all for rights, and autism rights, and I am autistic, but I think there is a difference between being for civil rights and being woke. Fighting for people having rights is good and noble. Wanting to cancel a looney toones character, just because people think it offends Mexicans (when in fact they character has a huge Mexican fanbase) just comes off as immature and childish to me. Fighting for rights is good, but canceling fictional characters is just kind of whiny in my opinion, and that is the difference between actually fighting for rights, and just being 'woke'.

So I think I can have it both ways, since one is actually important and the other just comes off as trivial and whiny but that's just me (shrug)?

Like for example Sheldon on The Bing Bang theory is considered by some on here to be autistic right? But if you cancel that show, saying it's offensive because of that, that doesn't make the cancellers the Malcolm X of fighting for autism rights.

I guess another thing is, I don't feel I can be advocate for autism but at the same time, cancel other people's entertainment and businesses, because I feel I cannot be an advocate but at the same time, try to covit other people's things.

I respect your points and agree that it's easy to conflate some overlapping issues as the same when there is some nuance, Perhaps I am showing my NT privilege that I am like some teacher coming to the projects. But I admit I can and do learn from other people's lived experiences and I do see your perspective.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 9:58 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well the thing about the woke crowd it seems, is that they are offended by a non-white characters in animation it seems. But if they keep getting their wish, and all these non-white characters are going to further be removed or cancelled from fiction, all that's going to be left are the white characters in the end.

Is that really what the woke crowd wants a result?

I actually don't think there's anyone on this forum who wants Apu banned (including me). But we have an obligation to listen to minority voices (whatever their background).

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 10:00 pm

But why does the minority vote count more than a majority? The point of a vote is the majority vote wins.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 10:06 pm

ironpony wrote:
But why does the minority vote count more than a majority? The point of a vote is the majority vote wins.

It doesn't?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 10:14 pm

It doesn't what?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 2:55 am

ironpony wrote:
It doesn't what?

The minority vote = majority at the ballot box. There's no weightage paid to the voices of minorities. If anything nobody has been listening to them until recent history.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 12:32 am

Stereotypes usually spawn because there are some element of truth to them.

In the UK a grossly disproportional amount of corner shops are owned and run by people from Pakistan. They're stereotyped as being shop owners here and is that stereotype bad? Not really as I don't see anything bad in running a shop along with most others.

As for Apu, I don't mind him at all. Throughout the series he's always been portrayed as hard working, quirky and ensuring he never strays with his morals.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 12:41 am

Nades wrote:

In the UK a grossly disproportional amount of corner shops are owned and run by people from Pakistan. They're stereotyped as being shop owners here and is that stereotype bad? Not really as I don't see anything bad in running a shop along with most others.

As for Apu, I don't mind him at all. Throughout the series he's always been portrayed as hard working, quirky and ensuring he never strays with his morals.

Well where I live in Canada, a lot of convenience store owners and workers are from the South Asia area, like Apu.

But what I want to know is, if this stereotype is such a bad thing, then why do South Asians choose to follow this stereotype then?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 12:47 am

ironpony wrote:
Nades wrote:

Well where I live in Canada, a lot of convenience store owners and workers are from the South Asia area, like Apu.

But what I want to know is, if this stereotype is such a bad thing, then why do South Asians choose to follow this stereotype then?

Well yeah that's a fair point. Stereotypes never just appear out of nowhere, they're usually grounded in some degree of reality. There isn't anything wrong with stereotyping provided it's backed up.

As others have said, the Simpsons is a show that lives and breathes stereotypes. It's what makes the show entertaining.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:43 am

Nades wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Nades wrote:

Well yeah that's a fair point. Stereotypes never just appear out of nowhere, they're usually grounded in some degree of reality. There isn't anything wrong with stereotyping provided it's backed up.

As others have said, the Simpsons is a show that lives and breathes stereotypes. It's what makes the show entertaining.

All comedy relies on stereotypes. Sad but true.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:51 am

ironpony wrote:

Because a lot white owned business won't employ them. So the only option is work in a job where they are at constant risk of being shot by robbers for minimum wage. Eventually after years of hard work they buy the business.

The stereotypes are invented by racist white men

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 7:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Because a lot white owned business won't employ them. So the only option is work in a job where they are at constant risk of being shot by robbers for minimum wage. Eventually after years of hard work they buy the business.

Source?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 8:05 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Source?

Agree, source?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 8:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

But just because white men hire non-white people to be employees, how does that make them racist? I would think that a racist would not be as inclusionary in hiring? If the white employers were to just hire white people only would that make them less racist in comparison?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 9:23 am

ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

But just because white men hire non-white people to be employees, how does that make them racist? I would think that a racist would not be as inclusionary in hiring? If the white employers were to just hire white people only would that make them less racist in comparison?

He didnt say "white people hire them". He said the opposite.