How would things have been if Hillary won in 2016?

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 12:56 pm

Domestic life would have been beautifully boring.. regular ol' humdrum same ol' same ol'. International issues may have been different IF she opted to help bring some democracy and freedom to other countries via drone strikes.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2022, 8:06 pm

Not American, but from what I can tell from this side of the world, she wouldn't have been a particularly amazing President (or a particularly bad one, as such things go). However, I think any boringly average President - from either side - would have been significantly better than the absolute dumpster fire that was Trump.

I guess, if nothing else, it would have let America finally tick off the "Female national leader" box. So there's that.

Presumably she'd have presided over putting through a handful of US Democratic Party policies; I guess it could be interesting to speculate on which ones would have actually made it into law.

Plus she'd inevitably get compared to her predecessor, as all Presidents do, raising the question of what Obama-years policies she'd keep and what ones she'd alter, replace, or shut down.

Personally, I'm honestly not that sure about any of it. Her entire campaign and image seemed to be incredibly tightly managed, to the point where it was genuinely difficult to get a read on her as a person, or even what she was for or against politically (without delving into her voting history and other activities as a politician). It kind of seemed like her campaign had been extremely finely calculated to have the best chance against the Average Stock Republican Opponent (tm) and she was effectively being walked through each step of that calculation, only to have the entire thing be completely blindsided and demolished by the Trump screaming garbage fire. She was absolutely not ready to counter anything like that, and wasn't able to pivot to handle it fast enough (and admittedly, not all that many people would have been). So her and her team's inability to rally against that doesn't really say all that much about her and her hypothetical future administration.

I'm betting that Bill would have been carefully managed, though. Keep him absolutely out of the limelight except for a number of heavily preplanned events where he just got to be folksy and charming. Not just because it would have been the first time that a US President's spouse had also been a President, but because... well, let's be brutally blunt about it... Bill had grassroots-level appeal in spades. People liked Bill. Hillary, for all her campaign polish, was seen as robotic at best, and a tool of established interests at worst. Having Bill wandering around in public would undermine her Presidential legitimacy. As it stood, I couldn't see her winning a second term; she just didn't have the personal charm or force of personality.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 1:14 am

Dial1194 wrote:
Her entire campaign and image seemed to be incredibly tightly managed, to the point where it was genuinely difficult to get a read on her as a person, or even what she was for or against politically (without delving into her voting history and other activities as a politician). It kind of seemed like her campaign had been extremely finely calculated to have the best chance against the Average Stock Republican Opponent (tm) and she was effectively being walked through each step of that calculation, only to have the entire thing be completely blindsided and demolished by the Trump screaming garbage fire. She was absolutely not ready to counter anything like that, and wasn't able to pivot to handle it fast enough (and admittedly, not all that many people would have been). So her and her team's inability to rally against that doesn't really say all that much about her and her hypothetical future administration.

The interesting thing about Hilary Clinton is that it has long been said she truly shines in small group and one on one settings. The disappointment has always been that the appeal she actually has in person has never translated onto a stage of any sort. From what I've read over the years, it mystifies those who know her, and political consultants were working hard to override this known obstacle to her gaining broader appeal. I can say that I now know two people who have met her and spent considerable time with her in person, and both left incredibly impressed, confirming the rumor that in person, apparently, she is actually warm and charismatic. Unfortunately, you can't win elections via one on one and small settings.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 1:26 pm

If Hillary had won, we wouldn't be rolling back in time with human rights like with abortions and then birth control being attacked and there would still be less shootings because we wouldn't have had looser gun laws now.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 1:44 pm

Unfortunately, "lock her up" and "but her e-mails" would have been replaced with "know your place" and "make me a sandwich"

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 3:51 am

League_Girl wrote:
If Hillary had won, we wouldn't be rolling back in time with human rights like with abortions and then birth control being attacked and there would still be less shootings because we wouldn't have had looser gun laws now.

LOL.

Which gun laws were loosened, and how did they impact crime? Be specific, I'll wait.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 4:00 am

If Hillary had won we would probably be embroiled in an intergalactic war by now.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 4:32 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
[Actually it wasn't the BJ, it was lying to a grand jury about it.

Funny how his middle name is "Jefferson". So his initials and last name would be B. J. Clinton. :D

But Bill is short for William. His full name is William Jefferson Clinton. He is W. J. Clinton.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Oct 2022, 4:58 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
If Hillary had won we would probably be embroiled in an intergalactic war by now.

Would USA build the Death Star? Would she revoke this? https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -military/
Andromeda guys are lucky she didn't win :mrgreen:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>