Are Asian women sexist and/or ageist against themselves?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 2:21 pm

So I am renting a room from Asian landlord, who is a female graduate student in her 20-s. She ordered electrician to fix plugs. The electritian was a white male in his 60-s. I had laptop on the floor and as he kneeled down he stepped on it as he wasn't paying attention. Thankfully, the laptop is still working (in fact, I am using it to type this message) but screen broke. I immediately asked him to pay for it. The landlord said she will cover it. I pointed out that since he is the one who broke it, he should pay. But she said the service she gets is free thats why she will pay (I am not sure why the service is free: they are not dating or anything -- in fact they even asked each other's names when he came).

So this makes me wonder. What do you think?

Last edited by Cornflake on 23 Sep 2022, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.: Removed negative generalizations about Asian culture

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 2:25 pm

She was nice in offering to pay for your laptop.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 2:26 pm

More likely she has landlord's insurance or some other form of house insurance that covers such accidental damage while the property is undergoing repairs.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 2:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
She was nice in offering to pay for your laptop.

She was nice to HIM, not to me. Because if she didn't offer to pay, he would have paid.

Here is the sequence of events:

1) The guy broke the screen for my laptop

2) I asked the guy to pay

3) He agreed

4) She said she will pay instead.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 2:39 pm

Mikah wrote:
More likely she has landlord's insurance or some other form of house insurance that covers such accidental damage while the property is undergoing repairs.

I don't see how her insurance can help, if I was the one who bought the laptop.

I bought it at "Geek Squad" corner of "Best Buy", and they have my name on the system.

But again different stores work differently. I did really briefly mention Best Buy, but maybe she didn't catch it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 2:41 pm

I think you're over thinking it. She is just being nice.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:29 am

As long as you get a new laptop, who cares?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 10:36 am

???

What does this have to do with sexism or ageism?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 11:00 am

Too many missing details about how or why she did that (and as Mikah brought up, whether she actually had to pay for it herself or had some other way of expensing it).

Completely different story - I've known Asian women who didn't want to date Asian men because they reminded them too much of 'dad', that's another case where I can't tell whether it's something like that or the more disturbing possibility that their dads were creeps? I really hope it wasn't the later.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 2:26 pm

All I see is someone who sort of extended herself. Maybe she has a homeowner's insurance plan or whatever, as pointed out earlier.

I don't feel too many people would do this. Most people would believe the onus is on the guy who sat on the laptop. Myself----I probably wouldn't have thought about "homeowner's insurance."

I sense that QFT may have gotten sort of lucky.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 2:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Myself----I probably wouldn't have thought about "homeowner's insurance."

I never heard of homeowners insurance. How does it work?

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sense that QFT may have gotten sort of lucky.

In what way were I lucky? If she didn't pay the guy would have. So in both cases someone other than me would have paid.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:16 pm

QFT wrote:
In what way were I lucky? If she didn't pay the guy would have. So in both cases someone other than me would have paid.

Depends how badly he needed her business. If he didn't need it he could just say 'Sue me for it', and the cost of the law suit would be more than the price of the screen.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:18 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
QFT wrote:

Depends how badly he needed her business. If he didn't need it he could just say 'Sue me for it', and the cost of the law suit would be more than the price of the screen.

But he doesn't want to go to jail, why would he say it?

I guess I don't know how the legal things work. Maybe this won't be jail. But in this case wouldn't there be some other measures that would still ruin his record and things like that?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:24 pm

QFT wrote:
But he doesn't want to go to jail, why would he say it?

How would he go to jail?

QFT wrote:
I guess I don't know how the legal things work. Maybe this won't be jail. But in this case wouldn't there be some other measures that would still ruin his record and things like that?

As far as customer / vendor relationships ground level retail consumers generally get shielded pretty well from the Machiavellianism that goes on back and forth at a business-to-business level between clients and vendors. Where that starts to slip a bit - if you call tech support with something and you end up being one of 'those' customers they might hang up on you, they might say you have a pebcak or an ID10T error. A soul proprietor, especially a contractor who doesn't need your land lord's business, might be nice about it or he might tell you to go play in traffic, and if he tells you to go play in traffic he's doing the approximate of telling your landlord to go pound salt if she asked him to fix it.

I don't know the guy so I have no idea how he, personally, would react, I'm telling you what I'd expect from experience.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:30 pm

In one aspect of "homeowner's insurance," a person who owns a home can make a claim for damage which occurred in that home.

The damage to your laptop occurred in your landlord's apartment/home---so, if she has homeowner's insurance, she can make a claim which consists of that damage (the laptop) which occurred in her home.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 4:06 pm

She saw the opportunity to be the Sweet Pea that she is, so she seized it.