Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 9:04 am

Governments have always tried to help natural disasters. People often confuse libertarianism with anarchism. Belief in very limited government involvement is not the same as belief in no government.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2022, 9:28 am

I think one of the very purposes of government is to react to external threats - either military or natural - and possibly reduce their impact, so they don't turn into anarchic SHTF.
How well various governments fulfill it? Well, that was interesting to watch on the example of covid... Western governments did poor job in preventing excess deaths, while Chinese government abuses means of epidemic control to this day.

Local culture matters, too. If lockdowns East-Asian-style were tried in Poland, it would probably end up with riots and still not preventing excess deaths. On the other hand, the government, local governments, NGOs and even private companies and citizens providing temporary housing to those who lost their places to live is something common where I live but apparently unheard of in USA.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 9:35 am

NY public officials criticize DeSantis for voting against Hurricane Sandy relief

Quote:
As Hurricane Ian pummeled Florida on Wednesday, several public officials from New York criticized Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) for voting against federal aid for Hurricane Sandy when he was a congressman.

“Just a reminder to New York … Marco Rubio and Ron DeSantis (who was in Congress at the time) voted against aid for Hurricane Sandy,” Yuh-Line Niou, a member of the New York state assembly, said on Twitter. “But because we are New York, we care about everyone. Even when they don’t care about us.”

Newly elected to Congress in 2013, DeSantis voted against a federal relief package for New York and New Jersey in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Sandy hit the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states in late 2012, killing more than 100 Americans.

Republicans at the time of the vote in the House had argued the measure was costly and should be offset with other spending cuts. The final House vote was 241-180, with 179 of the “no” votes coming from the GOP.

It led to sore feelings at the time from lawmakers serving the region at that time.

“It is unfortunate that we had to fight so hard to be treated the same as every other state has been treated,” former Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) told The New York Times in January 2013.
Since the fight, there has been criticism of GOP lawmakers who have pressed for aid for their states because of their votes against the Sandy aid.

After Hurricane Harvey hit Texas hard in 2017, for example, some Democrats from New York and New Jersey took shots at Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and other Republicans from the Lone Star State who had opposed the Sandy legislation.

DeSantis asked President Biden on Wednesday to approve a major disaster declaration over Hurricane Ian and to cover the costs of debris removal and emergency protective services for the first 60 days after the hurricane. Biden covered similar costs for Kentucky after it faced devastating floods earlier this year.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Sep 2022, 10:15 am

In other words, DeSantis wanted federal help for his folks but not for the other folks?

Florida deserves help but pokes adressed at DeSantis are entirely appropriate in such situation.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>