I'm starting to root for the next American Civil War

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 1:45 am

And I hope neither side wins. I hope the right and left utterly destroy each other and then maybe we'll get a few Americans who have not gone completely bonkers to pick up the pieces and rebuild this country.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:21 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
And I hope neither side wins. I hope the right and left utterly destroy each other and then maybe we'll get a few Americans who have not gone completely bonkers to pick up the pieces and rebuild this country.

Nope, we'll get the same same $$$ ruling class folks as now. They have the resources to stay alive as well as to avoid doing any actual fighting. The ones who'd die are all from the same sucker class that gets sent off as cannon fodder in international wars.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2022, 5:29 am

haha i can see where you're coming from! politics is so hysterical these days

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 7:16 am

goldfish21 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Nope, we'll get the same same $$$ ruling class folks as now. They have the resources to stay alive as well as to avoid doing any actual fighting. The ones who'd die are all from the same sucker class that gets sent off as cannon fodder in international wars.

Sounds just like the last civil war unfortunately...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:04 am

My body is ready.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:08 am

I wonder what effects the complete collapse of the "United" States will have on Canada? After all, we're just "America Junior" and our country sucks. :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:34 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I wonder what effects the complete collapse of the "United" States will have on Canada? After all, we're just "America Junior" and our country sucks. :roll:

Maybe the idea will spread to you guys. And the Francophones will secede from the Anglophones, and you guys will have your own civil war! Just cause ...it will be the thing to do!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:39 am

A vast majority who root for war have never been in one.

In our last civil war over 600,000 died. The weapons used were extremely primitive compared with what both sides would employ in the next one.

If people think supply shortages are bad now.

How about no electricity for months or years.

If you are not killed you will probably be maimed in a society ill prepared and overwhelmed by the disabled.

If you get sick medical care will be sparse and primitive.

That all said I understand the feeling. We are so much down the rabbit hole destroying America and rebuilding it from scratch is a more tempting thought everyday. It is far from guaranteed that the replacement America will be better the current one.

So in no way can I root for another civil war.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:46 am

If America is going to admit to failure, why not just hold a referendum to annex themselves to Canada and start saying 'Eh,' all the time? :mrgreen:

We're right next door and generally don't want to murder each other, so there's a few things we could teach y'all.. eh? :ninja:

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:28 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Brah, I don't think you understand; War is Hell. Civil wars tend to be especially bad as both sides are fighting "for the home team". I've never been in a war zone (thankfully), but I have known many people who have been, including many who were in civil wars. While the details vary from time and place, one thing is consistent: War is Hell; not just for the soldiers, but for ALL in or near the combat zones.

Aditionally, war doesn't tend to visit alone, she comes with her sister disasters of Disease and Famine.

I do understand the feeling, by some metrics we are already in a civil war, all be it not yet a hot war, but war is not going to make thing better. The extremes on both sides have be n waiting for such an opportunity to instil their view of a utopia.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 1:20 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

Exports are likely to suffer big time if it's no longer safe for Canadian truckers to cross the border. We might have to scale up our ports to be able to ship more food/lumber/minerals etc to China and elsewhere.

On the bright side, like every time there's trouble in Southern countries, there will likely be a steady flow of refugees streaming North seeking stability and comfort. They'll be a fantastic source of agricultural & construction labour, which Canada is in short supply of.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:07 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
If America is going to admit to failure, why not just hold a referendum to annex themselves to Canada and start saying 'Eh,' all the time? :mrgreen:

We're right next door and generally don't want to murder each other, so there's a few things we could teach y'all.. eh? :ninja:

Well...what you mean is that we Yanks should admit that we messed up, and that packing up our bags back in 1776 thing was a big mistake. And that we all should...invite King George III to run our country for a while. Ya know...until we are all ready to govern ourselves. You Canadians never "left home" so to speak, and are still part of the Commonwealth. :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Well...what you mean is that we Yanks should admit that we messed up, and that packing up our bags back in 1776 thing was a big mistake. And that we all should...invite King George III to run our country for a while. Ya know...until we are all ready to govern ourselves. You Canadians never "left home" so to speak, and are still part of the Commonwealth. :lol:

Yes.

Charles in charge, of our days and our lives..

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:41 pm

Part of me would be sad to see Americans slaughtering each other over their stupid obsession for a washed up reality star, but my big toe is nearing the line of just not giving a damn anymore. Even if I were to die in this war, well at least I won't have to keep listening to all the crap coming out of the mouth of Trump and his cult of fascist wannabes everywhere I go.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:47 pm

Some Americans so sheltered and pampered they think war is something to welcome. What idiocy.

Pindar wrote:
γλυκύ δ᾽ἀπείρῳ πόλεμος.
πεπειραμένων δέ τις ταρβεῖ προσιόντα νιν καρδία περισσῶς.

"War is sweet to those who have no experience of it,
but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach."

Also lol the ridiculousness of thinking that a civil war would see Both Sides (tm) lose in favor of Americans who "haven't gone bonkers". Not sure if you're a moderate or centrist or libertarian or apolitical or whatever you call yourself to feel smug and superior to Both Sides (tm), but wishing for civil war so millions of people can die for your presumed vindication is moronic.

How dense do you have to be to think that civil wars tend to favor moderates/centrists/whatever you think a non-bonkers American is? Civil wars almost always end with a more radical government taking power than the one that came before. Hope you like watching the political center get lined up and shot.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Last edited by roronoa79 on 02 Oct 2022, 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:50 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Some Americans so sheltered and pampered they think war is something to welcome. What idiocy.
Pindar wrote:
γλυκύ δ᾽ἀπείρῳ πόλεμος.
πεπειραμένων δέ τις ταρβεῖ προσιόντα νιν καρδία περισσῶς.

"War is sweet to those who have no experience of it,
but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach."

Also lol the ridiculousness of thinking that a civil war would see Both Sides (tm) lose in favor of Americans who "haven't gone bonkers". Not sure if you're a moderate or centrist or libertarian or apolitical or whatever you call yourself to feel smug and superior to Both Sides (tm), but wishing for civil war so millions of people can die for your presumed vindication is moronic.

Also, how dense do you have to be to think that civil wars tend to favor moderates/centrists/whatever you think a non-bonkers American is? Civil wars almost always end with a more radical government taking power than the one that came before. Hope you like watching the political center get lined up and shot.

Blah blah f*****g blah

As if you know me so f*****g well. :roll: