Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 4:56 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6934418.stm

Is this a sign of worse to come? Very few people controlling almost all of the world's wealth? Economy? Daily lives? I think so. Hurrah global corporatism!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 8:44 am

Cyanide wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6934418.stm

Is this a sign of worse to come? Very few people controlling almost all of the world's wealth? Economy? Daily lives? I think so. Hurrah global corporatism!

Hmm.... I am not very concerned. The 3rd richest man becomes the first. I also think that historical inequality has been higher as well, like I think that Rockefeller in the currency of the time was about 3 times richer than Bill Gates, and that quite a few other very rich men were also present. I am not saying that those days were glory days necessarily but people lived through them, and progress was made.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 10:25 am

And it sounds like this is just a momentary surge for him. His companies happened to do well last year. From here, he'll either go up or down, and no one can guess which until it happens. Of course, the fact that he could solve Mexico's poverty problem with a phone call and a generous donation, but doesn't, is a bit disgusting to me.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 10:37 am

Too bad, in a free market system there's always going to be a little bit of a bulid up at the top from time to time.

Nothing to fret about.

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 6:33 am

Ragtime wrote:
And it sounds like this is just a momentary surge for him. His companies happened to do well last year. From here, he'll either go up or down, and no one can guess which until it happens. Of course, the fact that he could solve Mexico's poverty problem with a phone call and a generous donation, but doesn't, is a bit disgusting to me.

For how long? Throwing money at a problem is a band-aid fix.