Evidence of systemic racism, implicit bias, etc.

Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

jullan95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2022, 8:26 am

it starts to annoy me that people constantly nags about racism that everything is "racist"

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 9:02 am

jullan95 wrote:
it starts to annoy me that people constantly nags about racism that everything is "racist"

Me too. Why don't these people just come out and admit that what they secretly want is a race war where they can punish white people for centuries of oppression by making them into second class citizens?

I don't believe these people really want "equality" anymore, it's obvious that they just want revenge. :roll:

And we've seen this all before in the 1960's with the Black Panthers who thought they could fight hate and racism with even more hate and racism. We'll see how that works out in this generation.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 9:24 am

BUT.... on the other hand, if I didn't look white and looked more Polynesian like my dad did. Well, I guess I would understand why people of color (not just black people) don't feel very trusting of white people.

From what I have read about Hawaii the Hawaiians got royally screwed over by white people who came to their islands and they were illegally annexed into the US when they didn't want to be. :|

jullan95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2022, 11:00 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
jullan95 wrote:

Me too. Why don't these people just come out and admit that what they secretly want is a race war where they can punish white people for centuries of oppression by making them into second class citizens?

I don't believe these people really want "equality" anymore, it's obvious that they just want revenge. :roll:

And we've seen this all before in the 1960's with the Black Panthers who thought they could fight hate and racism with even more hate and racism. We'll see how that works out in this generation.

I just think we should be able to express our opinions and we make even make jokes anymore

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 11:08 am

jullan95 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
jullan95 wrote:

I just think we should be able to express our opinions and we make even make jokes anymore

I dunno, I do understand on some level the hate and anger people are feeling. But I cant help but feel that some of it is being exploited by those in power with their own agendas for wanting to see the US become unstable.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2022, 12:16 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Oh yes, I think a lot of people still hate black folks and immigrants as much as they ever did. I've never had much faith in the likely effectiveness of most initiatives I've seen by non-racists and governments to change it, in fact I think some of it is counter-productive.

I doubt any employment discrimination its based on hate, at least in the majority of cases. Its probably more a bias towards people who are similar to themselves. So people will hire people from their 'tribe'.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 2:43 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Oh yes, I think a lot of people still hate black folks and immigrants as much as they ever did. I've never had much faith in the likely effectiveness of most initiatives I've seen by non-racists and governments to change it, in fact I think some of it is counter-productive.

I doubt any employment discrimination its based on hate, at least in the majority of cases. Its probably more a bias towards people who are similar to themselves. So people will hire people from their 'tribe'.

I was thinking more about the many ordinary people who do rather seem to hate immigrants. I think it was a significant factor in the UK Brexit referendum. But there is a range of attitudes out there with outright malevolence at one end and extreme anti-racist attitudes at the other, with colour-blindness in the middle. Sudden mass immigration usually causes friction and strong resentment which eventually subsides.

I agree it's probably unusual for an employer to want to exclude anybody who can be used for making profit, though it probably goes on in some places if they think they can get away with it. My Head Of Department in my first job, when he was discussing the kind of employee he wanted to fill a vacant post, said "I'm not having another bloody woman." The previous (female) postholder had been notoriously lazy and he wasn't thinking very objectively. But that was back in 1978, so maybe times have changed a little since. And I'm assuming sexism and racism have similar characteristics.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2022, 7:02 pm

jullan95 wrote:

I am against both systemic bias + implicit bias. Racism happens to be the most obvious but people who tend to have racial bias have other forms of bias. I've said it's a slippery slope.

For example people who say "I have preference for my own race" aren't breaking any laws and are perfectly entitled to their opinions/preferences. But it's a slippery slope, Once you prime your brain to be intolerant of other people based on their genetics then its much easier to also have a bias against literally anyone who doesn't fit your archetype of a perfect human being.

99.9% of us on this forum want positive change in society toward autism. But concurrently we need to be the face of change we want to see in the NT community. True, many of us are dealing with our own problems and don't have time or energy to expend opening space in our hearts or homes to people less fortunate. For example autistic people who are perceived to be lower functioning or having ID.

It's very hard to deprogram a mind that is conditioned from birth, And most of us would say it's our business who we like or don't like or prefer to ignore.

jullan95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2022, 11:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
jullan95 wrote:

I am against both systemic bias + implicit bias. Racism happens to be the most obvious but people who tend to have racial bias have other forms of bias. I've said it's a slippery slope.

For example people who say "I have preference for my own race" aren't breaking any laws and are perfectly entitled to their opinions/preferences. But it's a slippery slope, Once you prime your brain to be intolerant of other people based on their genetics then its much easier to also have a bias against literally anyone who doesn't fit your archetype of a perfect human being.

99.9% of us on this forum want positive change in society toward autism. But concurrently we need to be the face of change we want to see in the NT community. True, many of us are dealing with our own problems and don't have time or energy to expend opening space in our hearts or homes to people less fortunate. For example autistic people who are perceived to be lower functioning or having ID.

It's very hard to deprogram a mind that is conditioned from birth, And most of us would say it's our business who we like or don't like or prefer to ignore.

how is saying you have preference for one race saying you're intolerant for another I don't understand

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 5:24 pm

jullan95 wrote:
how is saying you have preference for one race saying you're intolerant for another I don't understand

It's the way the brain is primed. Not everyone who has a preference for their own kind will develop this, I am just saying its easier to prime your brain to discriminate if you already have a blanket preference automatically to say no to making friends or dating somebody who looks different ethnically (even if you go the same school or grow up on the same street).

If you want an example of the pinnacle of this type of discrimination just look at the british royal family. This is the type of social elite many conservatives consider the most highly desirable to aspire toward. The level of exclusivity is so narrow that its any wonder the members of the royal family do not personally like anyone who they consider different from their class.

In both the British and Russian royal family children born with disabilities were hidden away from public gaze because any form of disability was considered a weakness that tarnished their bloodline (of course those days they didn't understand that marrying your cousins over multiple generations would lead to such children being born).

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 5:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:
jullan95 wrote:

It's the way the brain is primed. Not everyone who has a preference for their own kind will develop this, I am just saying its easier to prime your brain to discriminate if you already have a blanket preference automatically to say no to making friends or dating somebody who looks different ethnically (even if you go the same school or grow up on the same street).

If you want an example of the pinnacle of this type of discrimination just look at the british royal family. This is the type of social elite many conservatives consider the most highly desirable to aspire toward. The level of exclusivity is so narrow that its any wonder the members of the royal family do not personally like anyone who they consider different from their class.

In both the British and Russian royal family children born with disabilities were hidden away from public gaze because any form of disability was considered a weakness that tarnished their bloodline (of course those days they didn't understand that marrying your cousins over multiple generations would lead to such children being born).

In hindsight perhaps letting inbreds rule our world wasn't such a good idea? :P

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2022, 2:20 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
In hindsight perhaps letting inbreds rule our world wasn't such a good idea? :P

It might surprise you that its history repeating itself. In ancient Egypt, Sumeria and India the royal families has a tendency to marry cousins or even siblings to ensure power stayed in the family and that ultimately the only people deserving of sharing your bloodline are your own family. In the case of Egypt a number of dynasties came to an end as children born carried several genetic defects due to inbreeding.

Indeed the the entire history of Europe in WWI was impacted by the fact the only male heir to Tsar Nicholas II was sickly (he had haemophilia) which swayed support away from the Russian royal family as there was no appropriate heir and ushered the rise of communist state at the end of WWI.