Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 6:12 pm

I hate hearing about politics, I always see politics commercials often. Why are there very bad people in politics wanting to control women? Are we back in the 50s?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 8:18 pm

They're even worse: they don't care about women, they just pander to a certain kind of voter, and it might not even be that those voters care. They just get off on pissing you off. That's where politics are now.

And what else should it be about? Economic decisions are much too important to leave to democracy.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 12:17 am

Unfortunately, ignoring them won't make them go away. We have to fight back. This means we all need to, at the very least, remind our friends/acquaintances to vote for candidates who aren't "wanting to control women," as you put it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 1:14 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I hate hearing about politics, I always see politics commercials often. Why are there very bad people in politics wanting to control women? Are we back in the 50s?

A lot of those bad people in politics want to bring it back to the 50's or even the 1800's.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 10:10 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

A lot of those bad people in politics want to bring it back to the 50's or even the 1800's.

They want to bring back 1950's social mores, but they do NOT want to bring back 1950's tax rates on the wealthy.

I favor the converse.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2022, 11:58 pm

Oh, you mean in the USA? I was worried for a moment.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 12:47 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

They want to bring back 1950's social mores, but they do NOT want to bring back 1950's tax rates on the wealthy.

I favor the converse.

They want to bring back the parts of the 1950's and earlier that oppressed women. They aren't interested in the other parts just the bit about controlling women.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 12:48 am

ToughDiamond wrote:

Where do you live that these sorts of things don't matter? and what is the cost of rent?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 12:56 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
This means we all need to, at the very least, remind our friends/acquaintances to vote for candidates who aren't "wanting to control women," as you put it.

You'd have more luck if you could persuade your preferred party to stop picking stupid cultural fights, I'm never going to vote for the party I'm more likely to have to actually shoot some day.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 1:11 am

I heard they want to limit birth control & ban abortion, what if a pregnant woman is really sick & have to have surgery & it dangerous to her baby, she couldn’t have. If she dies, her unborn child dies. I don’t understand ALOT about politics.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 10:46 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Where do you live that these sorts of things don't matter? and what is the cost of rent?

I'm British. We've had 3 female Prime Ministers since 1979 and a female head of state for over half the last 200 years. Not that I think women at the top are any guarantee of women's equality further down the food chain. But if it's any help, I haven't heard any severe sexist drivel from UK politicians for a long time. Abortion rights and equal pay don't seem in any great danger of radical erosion. But that's all rather vague.

https://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GGGR_2020.pdf

That ranks the UK in 15th position and the USA in 49th, as judged by
Economic Participation and Opportunity
Educational Attainment
Political Empowerment
Health and Survival

Iceland is at no.1. Yemen and Pakistan are at the bottom.

Not sure about rent, but this chart may be of some use - interesting numbers for "rent at reduced/subsidised price" in the UK and USA:

https://compareyourcountry.org/housing
But that doesn't say how much people are paying for housing. I'm usually shocked at how expensive rents are in the UK, but then I'm a perfectionist, and I bought my house when houses were relatively cheaper.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 11:06 am

There's no way I could control the women in my life. They're independent,intelligent and strong minded women. Exactly how they should be.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 9:53 pm

I hate these political ads too. There's no escaping them. :evil:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 11:35 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I hate these political ads too. There's no escaping them. :evil:

I don't think I've ever seen one. But then I've got some good ad blockers and I don't allow live TV in my world. Or maybe I'm just lucky.