Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 1:43 pm

Hello, WP members.

You know, I just got the idea to start up this thread as a means of "schooling" myself in order to be a successful debator (Is that how it is spelt?) on the forum. Sometimes, I make a post here just to add my commentary to some issue, like I did for the Cryogenics post sometime prior to me typing this. But I feel that modern society, with its ever-growing idiocy, has stifled my intellect somewhat. I feel that I am becoming a victim, another statistic for the millions of boneheads out there that think Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen is a cinematic masterpiece, that obsess over what celebrities had for breakfast, child stars in rehab, endless wars, and all manner of atrocities commited against other people over race, religion, politics and portable MP3 players, because every third-world dictator wants to listen to Austrian Death Machine's "Get to the Choppa" while masterminding the slaughter of an entire tribe.

I'm sorry if my mode of speech borders on stream-of-consciousness, but that's how all good rants are made.

The point is, we live in a strange world in a mysterious, middle-aged universe. We have our ups and downs, our loves and hates, our hopes and fears. Believe it or not, I'm not that good with philosophy, save for the fact that I have a very basic comprehension of existentialism and nihilism. When describing my religious preference, I consider myself an "neutral" agnostic; I am skeptical about the existence of God, and yet I wonder about the possiblity. Politics were never my thing. All it is a bunch of farts representing other farts, trolls on all fronts.

This thread is basically going to consist of random conversations between me and the lot of you about... whatever philosophical thing is on your mind. I'll wiki something if I don't know anything about it. Anyway, to quote Spongebob, "I'm ready!"

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:19 pm

Ok, sure, I'll create a few sets of questions:

1) You are agnostic. Ok, why do you think other people think God exists? Do you think that their position of knowledge makes sense? Why or why not? What notions of deity do you consider credible. Would you think that Zolgolzag the baby devourer who demands living sacrifices is sensible? How about the generic notion of an intelligence?

2) Why do you think people reject this existence? Is there position of knowledgeable sensible? Why or why not? Do you think that maybe atheism is an overstatement of a position? For instance, atheists may only refuse to believe in certain kinds of gods, such as the traditional monotheistic notion, but others they might be agnostic towards? Do you think that atheist questions about the credibility of being agnostic on the issue makes sense? (for instance, the notion of not being skeptical towards unicorns or fairies in gardens?)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 3:55 pm

3) What are the best ways to get knowledge and why? Do you think that philosophical reasoning comes before more empirical methods, or do you think that empirical methods are equal to more abstract methods, or do you think that empirical methods generally trump abstraction? If you had to present a case that something was true, would you reference empirical studies first, or create logical arguments first, assuming that either method was available? If you were to be persuaded, which of the two prior things would you prefer? What do you think of the epistemic status of mystical experiences? Are different perspectives useful in our pursuit of truth? How so? Are some perspectives better than others?

4) What is the relationship of language to truth? Can language really convey truths with ease, or will there always be sloppiness? Why? Of what relevance is the hermeneutic circle to communication? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutic_circle Why do the words that exist, exist? Is our ability to think of an idea in some way dependent upon the existence of words or terms for the idea? What is the relevance of metaphor to thought? How important are metaphors for our way of thinking? Is it reasonable to believe that the mind actually expresses other conceptual qualities by some sort of metaphor? http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... phor-moral Can metaphors allow us to understand things that words themselves could not get us to understand?

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 4:45 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
3) What are the best ways to get knowledge and why? Do you think that philosophical reasoning comes before more empirical methods, or do you think that empirical methods are equal to more abstract methods, or do you think that empirical methods generally trump abstraction? If you had to present a case that something was true, would you reference empirical studies first, or create logical arguments first, assuming that either method was available? If you were to be persuaded, which of the two prior things would you prefer? What do you think of the epistemic status of mystical experiences? Are different perspectives useful in our pursuit of truth? How so? Are some perspectives better than others?

4) What is the relationship of language to truth? Can language really convey truths with ease, or will there always be sloppiness? Why? Of what relevance is the hermeneutic circle to communication? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutic_circle Why do the words that exist, exist? Is our ability to think of an idea in some way dependent upon the existence of words or terms for the idea? What is the relevance of metaphor to thought? How important are metaphors for our way of thinking? Is it reasonable to believe that the mind actually expresses other conceptual qualities by some sort of metaphor? http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... phor-moral Can metaphors allow us to understand things that words themselves could not get us to understand?

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 5:14 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ok, why do you think other people think God exists?

People, in desparate times, are willing to cling to any belief that provides them with a sense of relief regarding morals, authority, and life in general. Take for instance, the Rapture: "If you be a good person, you get a free pass into Heaven before things get bad on Earth!" That strikes me as something a child would say if I ask him what constitutes a fulfilling existence. If God existed, He would certainly have a different concept of what "good" is, but ultimately, people sucker into it. In the end, people only choose to live as a means of "getting to the finish line" as one would the Indy 500.
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Do you think that their position of knowledge makes sense? Why or why not?

See above.
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Would you think that Zolgolzag the baby devourer who demands living sacrifices is sensible?

As I've said, morality is a human concept, but it does not imply that I am absent of them. Creation deities would be largely unconcerned with such matters; imagine life as a self-molding clay. It can take whatever form it wishes, independent of the Creator's oversight. Human sacrifices are, in my opinion, a means of keeping control of a devoted following in the event that things go south. Psychological manipulation.
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
How about the generic notion of an intelligence?

I always wonder if the Big Bang was a completely natural phenomenon or the work of some Creator. We'll never know.

I'll answer the other questions later.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 6:19 pm

I'd like to jump into this thread, too, because some of these questions sound interesting. :)

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
1) Ok, why do you think other people think God exists? Do you think that their position of knowledge makes sense? Why or why not? What notions of deity do you consider credible. Would you think that Zolgolzag the baby devourer who demands living sacrifices is sensible? How about the generic notion of an intelligence?

I think the main reason people tend to believe in a god is because they were raised to believe in one. Plus, in an overwhelmingly God-fearing society such as ours, people's belief in a god is reinforced. And like Giftorcurse said, their belief in a god gives them comfort. I, personally, am an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings. I have a hard time believing in any sort of deity, at least in a god-like sense. I also feel that the need to credit everything and anything in nature to a deity undermines nature. I like to think of nature, and of the universe itself, as a sort of "intelligence." I don't consider nature to be a deity, I just consider it to have a sort of intelligence on its behalf.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
2) Why do you think people reject this existence?

I think a sort of rebellious nature in people plays a role. I also think that the more people are exposed to some of the evildoings of organized religion (and I'm not saying that organized religion itself is evil), the more likely they are to reject it. I've also noticed a strong atheistic prevalence within the LGBT community.

Those are my thoughts on the subject matter.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 8:01 am

Some starters for conversations.

1. In an increasingly media-driven society, people are beginning to lose sight of what really matters. The line between image and reality is becoming blurry, and I wonder if even the news is real (what with the bias and all that). Your thoughts?

2. Genetic engineering on humans is slowly becoming a reality. Descartes and I have discussed this. I, for one, dread the idea to a certain degree. Not only would we have the capability to alter expressed traits to suit someone's ideal image of a human in a future time, but we might, repeat, MIGHT change the underlying nature of what it means to be human. This does not apply to what is passed down through the ages, but rather things of a mental/emotional concern.

3. Many people are of the opinion that if God does indeed exist, he is what you may call an a**hole. Anger, much?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 8:52 am

Giftorcurse wrote:
1. In an increasingly media-driven society, people are beginning to lose sight of what really matters. The line between image and reality is becoming blurry, and I wonder if even the news is real (what with the bias and all that). Your thoughts?

In what society wasn't the line around reality not blurry? I am just curious, as it seems that most societies untruths have been very prominent.

Quote:
2. Genetic engineering on humans is slowly becoming a reality. Descartes and I have discussed this. I, for one, dread the idea to a certain degree. Not only would we have the capability to alter expressed traits to suit someone's ideal image of a human in a future time, but we might, repeat, MIGHT change the underlying nature of what it means to be human. This does not apply to what is passed down through the ages, but rather things of a mental/emotional concern.

Ok? Yes, it will change what it means to be human. What is the problem? As it stands, I'd say that technology changes a lot of what it means to be human.

Quote:
3. Many people are of the opinion that if God does indeed exist, he is what you may call an a**hole. Anger, much?

Well, no, think about it. If God does indeed exist, he is the underlying reason for cancer, disasters, and all of these other things, and (assuming Judeo-Christian conceptions) also plans on condemning a large portion of the world's populace to an eternity of horrible suffering. Such a being is worse than a Hitler, or Stalin.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 11:23 am

Man, I can't come up with anything to say.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiZt79UKUFQ[/youtube]