should it be acceptable to call people nazis and fascists?

Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

attendingman
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2022, 10:43 am

unless they literally claim to be, should it be acceptable? its a little like accusing people of witchcraft in colonial Massachusetts would YOU want someone smearing you as a nazi? its one of the worst forms of defamation imo and should be liable to criminal charges

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2022, 11:02 am

If the shoe fits. The problem is these words are kind of overused, a boy who cried wolf effect. The other problem is actual nazis and fascists are aware of the stigma and will instead use tactics like gaslighting and trying to re-brand themselves, etc. Some people are fascists but are vaguely aware "fascism" is a bad thing and will insist they are not fascists. Another problem is how do you define fascism? The list goes on.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 11:08 am

If the shoe fits, yes, but the problem is that there are no proper guidelines to how well the shoe needs to fit. An elderly person says the N-word = the said elderly person is a nazi? Not so in my opinion, but I know people who would say yes they are. I don't think that showing signs of racism, like saying a slur or two, makes it okay to call someone a nazi, but if someone were to, say, use systematic violence against people of other races (or disabled people, nazis were after us, too) or tried to systematically drive down their rights in politics, then calling them a nazi might be justified.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 11:39 am

Do we need them to literally claim to be a nazi to know that they are, though?

If some skinhead is walking around in jackboots with a swastika tattoo he's a nazi regardless of whether he told me so or officially declared it in some document of nazi claim.

Like others said, if the shoe fits.

Same same for fascists -> which donnie trumplestiltskin is, as that's the form of government & economy he wants.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 11:50 am

I don't think it's acceptable to do so at all. It's hurtful and it makes some members feel unwelcome.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 1:21 pm

No group of people should be called Nazis or whatever unless it's factually true about a whole group of people, for example terrorists (the type of people that caused 9/11).

attendingman
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2022, 5:33 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't think it's acceptable to do so at all. It's hurtful and it makes some members feel unwelcome.

Trump isn't a fascist just because you don't like his political stances. if you want to say his ideology or stances are immoral or backwards that one thing. but just smearing him as a fascist is just the modern equivalent of pointing your finer at someone and screaming witch. reminder the united states of 1945 that literally fought can say the fascist powers would be considered fascist by the standards of people like you. you can say someone is racist and backwards without calling them a fascist. normal racist and regressive bigoted views are bad enough on their own without being fascist or nazi.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:02 pm

If their political ideology is similar then yes.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 6:52 pm

Shouldnt this be in the PPR board? :?

Oh and yes, I think Trump and his cult are behaving like a bunch of deranged FACISTS. The only thing that seperates them from being like nazis (so far) is that they have not commited mass genocide yet.

Give it time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:20 pm

I wouldn't use either "fascist" or "Nazi" casually.

If somebody goes around giving the Nazi salute, and saying "Heil Hitler!"---Then I would call that person a Nazi, even if the person is not officially a member of the German Nazi Party.

I find a person who believes in authoritarian forms of government fascistic. Whether I would call such a person a fascist depends on context.

If a person declares that I'm "inferior," and that I shouldn't be able to reap full benefits of citizenship, then I'd call that person a Nazi----certainly.

If a person states that my wife should be "sent back where she came from," even though she's a naturalized American citizen, then I'd call that person a fascist.

A person is certainly not a Nazi or a fascist just because that person doesn't agree with you politically.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:33 pm

Well there's plenty of other fitting labels we can use.

Christian Theocrats
Domestic Terrorists
Traitors to their own country
Etc

attendingman
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2022, 7:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Do we need them to literally claim to be a nazi to know that they are, though?

If some skinhead is walking around in jackboots with a swastika tattoo he's a nazi regardless of whether he told me so or officially declared it in some document of nazi claim.

Like others said, if the shoe fits.

Same same for fascists -> which donnie trumplestiltskin is, as that's the form of government & economy he wants.

I don't know how I quoted the other poster but the reply was meant for you

attendingman
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2022, 7:52 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

sorry i don't know how the hell I ended up quoting you instead of other person. my mistake

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 7:59 pm

Trump does advocate many things which can be construed as being fascistic.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:06 pm

No, it's not acceptable to call someone a Nazi unless they're a registered member of a Nazi party.
Using the word informally denies the atrocity of what Nazis really were.
Racism and Nazi membership are not synonymous.

Fascists? idk enough about what that means to answer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 8:10 pm

There's Capital F Fascist----which was the party of Mussolini of Italy.

Then there's small f fascist-----which is somebody, in general, who has a reactionary view of things, and advocates authoritarian government.