Calfornia...Has it been destroyed by left-wing polices?

Page 4 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 2:57 am

Fnord wrote:
By the way . . . where does Australia rank on this list?  Or is it counted as part of the once-mighty United Kingdom?[/color]

Australia only has 25 million people, but it has a bigger economy than Russia.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 2:59 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
So, yes, the state has problems in need of tending, but it's also laughing its way to the bank.

This is new to me.
So, you live in California?

Question answered.

The laughing its way to the bank part? That is what is news to you?

Fifth largest economy in the world.

I was under the impression California had economic difficulties.
Clearly, I was mistaken.
Data updated. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 3:19 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I don't attribute issues in our criminal justice system to any political party.

In Australia, left-leaning judges are renowned for being lenient on some forms of crime.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 2:07 am

Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
By the way . . . where does Australia rank on this list?  Or is it counted as part of the once-mighty United Kingdom?

GNPs In 2021:

#11: Russia $1,692,597,772,581
#13: Australia $1,461,068,135,989

Source:
 GNP by Country 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 4:54 am

Fnord wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
By the way . . . where does Australia rank on this list?  Or is it counted as part of the once-mighty United Kingdom?[/color]

GNPs In 2021:

#11: Russia $1,692,597,772,581
#13: Australia $1,461,068,135,989

Source: [/color] GNP by Country 

And your point: To prove me wrong.
"Interesting." 8)

Then let me amend my statement:
Australia's economy is comparable to Russia's. 8)

But consider the Russian economy today as a result of the sanctions imposed and the military costs.
I suspect the data you presented is somewhat out of date. ;)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 7:59 pm

My point . . . is to present the truth, which others seems to deny, ignore, or be completely ignorant of.

:D (Yes . . . I just ended a sentence with a preposition.  Feel free to report me for it.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 6:28 am

Russia has almost 150 million people.

Australia has about 25 million people

Russia has 6 times the population of Australia, but their economy is only about 3% larger than Australia’s Their per capita income is much lower than Australia’s.

California has a booming economy—but extreme disparity between rich and poor. Expensive rents and house prices in their cities cause many people to have to live in their cars—or worse.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 7:01 am

i wonder how many homeless migrated up to the pacific northwest?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 5:41 pm

I have been to California before. The inequality seemed fairly high there and it is probably because of badly managed wealth distribution and capitalism messing things up for the most part.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 12:49 am

Wealth is the goal of Capitalism.  Capitalism exists mostly in societies where there is a disparity in education.  This disparity usually begins in primary school, where those students who do well pull ahead of those classmates who do poorly.

Those who do better in school get better jobs than those who do poorly in school -- this is not cast in adamantium, but it is the way to bet. Those with the better jobs earn higher incomes than those with poorer jobs -- again, not cast in adamantium, but the general trend.

The only way (under current conditions) to eliminate the economic disparity is to pay everyone the same low, hourly wage, no matter how valuable their labor actually is -- pay the brain surgeon the same wage as the lawnmower operator, for example.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 2:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Russia has almost 150 million people.

Australia has about 25 million people

Russia has 6 times the population of Australia, but their economy is only about 3% larger than Australia’s Their per capita income is much lower than Australia’s.

California has a booming economy—but extreme disparity between rich and poor. Expensive rents and house prices in their cities cause many people to have to live in their cars—or worse.

I suspect Russia's economic strength is nowhere near previous figures as a result of the war.
I suspect it will take decades for Russia to recover due to the power lust of a psychopathic murderer.
I suspect I am going a tad off-topic. ;)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 6:28 am

Pepe wrote:
I was under the impression California had economic difficulties.
Clearly, I was mistaken.
Data updated. ;)

To be fair, it isn't all that long ago California did have some major difficulties with the state government budget. But when Brown was governor the state got serious about being less easily tangled by economic downturns, cleaned up its finances, and set it up to save on the upturns, so the budget could cushion the fall on the downturns. All while having a left wing super majority, so don't let anyone tell you liberals can't figure out a budget. Plus, many California companies and individuals did surprisingly well in the pandemic, meaning state tax collections stayed high, which has allowed the state to run multiple mini-grant programs for smaller and more adversely affected businesses, and send out checks to middle and low income taxpayers, etc, without draining the rainy day fund.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2022, 6:44 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
But when Brown was governor the state got serious about being less easily tangled by economic downturns, cleaned up its finances, and set it up to save on the upturns, so the budget could cushion the fall on the downturns. All while having a left wing super majority, so don't let anyone tell you liberals can't figure out a budget.
Contrary to some slogans, approach to social problems and financial competence are two separate dimensions of governing.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:01 am

My state (Maryland) has 8 congressional districts, 7 are Democratic and the state government is also overwhelming Democratic. It's a very healthy state. You seldom hear anyone say they want to leave. Some older people might seek a warmer climate in which to retire but that's going to happen.

Once a place becomes fashionable, it starts being a worse place for the average person to live. Nobody ever released a hit song titled "Maryland Dreaming" even our impoverished neighbor West Virginia gets more love in popular media, but folks here know on what side their bread is buttered.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:04 am

^^^i wonder what the cost of living there is compared to cali? my only reference is how daggone dear seattle is, a 5oz can of tuna there will set you back $2 for the cheapest brand. no apartments cheaper than about 2 grand/month and those are in the nasty areas. in contrast, you can still find a place to live in my county for $700/month and tuna costs 69 cents/can.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:39 am

In many “poor” areas, there is limited access to large supermarkets, which frequently have decent sales.

Especially if you don’t own a car.