New Age spirituality has become a cesspool of garbage

Page 8 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 2:44 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Firing squad is actually still an option in Utah.

I know, and Utah was also where the Mormon religion was founded I think?

NO. No. No.

It was where the Mormons ended up. Joseph Smith founded the relgion in New England. It spread through the east. But the relgion got persecuted. And the geographic center of gravity moved west to the Mississippi.

Finnally Brigham young lead them on an epic migration across the whole west- to the empty wilderness of Utah (which actually belong to Mexico in the pre Mexican War time), and that where they settled. They tried growing crops, but then locusts attacked their crops, but...then a big swarm of sea gulls attacked the locusts and saved their asses in a Biblical style miracle that is still commemorated in a statue today in Salt Lake City.

Ohhh ok, now I understand. Interesting
:)

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 3:18 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
There was constant tension with Washington -as the rest of the West got settled by Americans in the post Mexican War era- especially over Polygamy. But finally in the late 19th Century the Mormons caved to abolishing polygamy. Except for the fanatical rogue communities that still practice it in outlying areas even today.

In my opinion, polygamy is the worst form of patriarchal herd animal behavior emulation around. Those who practice that are basically walruses and hippopotami pretending to be humans.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 3:25 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
There was constant tension with Washington -as the rest of the West got settled by Americans in the post Mexican War era- especially over Polygamy. But finally in the late 19th Century the Mormons caved to abolishing polygamy. Except for the fanatical rogue communities that still practice it in outlying areas even today.

In my opinion, polygamy is the worst form of patriarchal herd animal behavior emulation around. Those who practice that are basically walruses and hippopotami pretending to be humans.

Polygamy's natural in the sense of a few men lucky enough to get rich have harems and other men have no wives or children. It's an adaptation to scarcity and the results don't mesh well with liberal democracy as it destroys incentive structure for what are effectively discarded men.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

23 Nov 2022, 6:27 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I think i'm about ready to throw in the towel and go back to being a lazy atheist.

Christianity has been hijacked by Trumpism while neopaganism has been hijacked by the woke movement.

What's the point in trying to believe in anything anymore now that it's all just a reflection of the s**tshow known as American politics? :|

I think you'll find an odd blend of neopaganism and christian fundamentalism within neo-nazi groups and other fascist groups that don't happen to call themselves 'neo-nazi'.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 6:28 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
I think you'll find an odd blend of neopaganism and christian fundamentalism within neo-nazi groups and other fascist groups that don't happen to call themselves 'neo-nazi'.

Julius Evola.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 7:14 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I think i'm about ready to throw in the towel and go back to being a lazy atheist.

Christianity has been hijacked by Trumpism while neopaganism has been hijacked by the woke movement.

What's the point in trying to believe in anything anymore now that it's all just a reflection of the s**tshow known as American politics? :|

Well I'm definetly not a nazi and I'm sure that a lot of other neopagans don't feel that way.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 10:47 pm

Instead of worrying about deities and rules I think I'll just focus on the art of witchcraft itself and go by my own rules. I may even take a look at how to use the bible in spellwork like they do in hoodoo and Appalachian folk magic with the Book of Psalms.

My specialty and favorite thing to do is read tarot cards and regular playing cards. I feel like I have a natural talent for it. 8)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 10:53 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I may even take a look at how to use the bible in spellwork like they do in hoodoo and Appalachian folk magic with the Book of Psalms.it. 8)

Add your little red SATOR square pouch with asafetida to ward the evil spirits.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 10:55 pm

New Age "Spirituality" has always been a bogus concept, with practitioners fooling each other as to how much "spirituality" they claim to have.

Personally, I found it useful for providing personal income from gullible clients, every one of whom was a "Seeker".

And, as P.T. Barnum once said, "There is a seeker born every minute" . . . or something like that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 11:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
New Age "Spirituality" has always been a bogus concept, with practitioners fooling each other as to how much "spirituality" they claim to have.

Personally, I found it useful for providing personal income from gullible clients, every one of whom was a "Seeker".

And, as P.T. Barnum once said, "There is a seeker born every minute" . . . or something like that.

Yes I know, and to be frank that bothers me. A lot. I don't like the idea of anybody taking advantage of vulnerable people who are looking for something to give their lives meaning in this s**t filled world we are forced to share together.

That said, I think there are plenty of con artists in the New Age movements. Just like there are plenty of quacks in the medical profession.

But witchcraft or 'folk magic' has always existed in most cultures for thousands of years. And it's a lot older than things like Wicca.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 11:22 pm

Yes, gullible people being defrauded of their life's savings always ticked me off, too.  But when someone sat down at my table for a 30-dollar reading, and my interpretation of what the cards or the horoscope said was exactly what they wanted to hear, they would often leave at least a 10-dollar tip.  And when a month's worth of tips helped offset my child-support payments, it was impossible for me to feel sorry for some gullible BMW-driving daddy's girl dropping a few Hamiltons in my jar on her way out the door.

"For Entertainment Purposes Only", read the sign above my chair.  I provided entertainment, and they kept Child Support Collections off my back.  A fair deal, no matter how you look at it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 11:40 pm

That's why my general rule is don't trust psychics who charge for readings. :D

The worst are the astrologers and tarot card readers on YouTube who build a literal cult-like following of commentors who shower them with money and gifts and verbally attack anybody who criticizes their predictions.

And any time these fake psychics express a Donald Trump bias praising the bastard while ignoring everything he has done I just want to reach through my screen and smack em. :evil:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2022, 12:28 am

I trust 'psychics' to try to get their hands on my money, whether they post fee schedules or not.

Even the ones who threw cards for free at parties eventually offered more detailed readings for a price.  They would get the seekers hooked on the basics, and then start charging for the extras.  Eventually, the 'psychic' would have regular clients dropping a hundred dollars a week just to be told what they wanted to hear.

If 'psychics' are so powerful, then why do they have to ask for your name?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2022, 12:52 am

Fnord wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

What's the point in trying to believe in anything anymore now that it's all just a reflection of the s**tshow known as American politics?
Religion yields confusion.  Science yields knowledge.

Wait, aren't you christian?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2022, 1:08 am

The problem with blanket ignoring anything labelled "new age" is that there are legitimate investigations unfairly and unscientifically labelled as "pseudoscience" or "new age" by the media and relevant scientific organisations.

One simple example is the propensity of archaeological science to selectively accept some bodies of evidence that fit (often dubiously) into specific theories that are the current paradigm and then demand new research show unrealistically high levels of evidence before they will be considered (and even then they ignore the new evidence until one their colleagues publishes the previously ignored information themselves and then it becomes a "discovery" :roll:

Back in the 1960s explorer Thor Heyerdahl wrote about oral traditions in the Indian ocean and pacific islands about bearded men who indigenous people state bought civilisation to their islands following a great cataclysm in his books about his "Kon Tiki" explorations where he also put forward the idea that ancient people had the capacity for sea voyages. His ideas were labelled as strange and new age and and he was labelled a crackpot.

In the 1980s another writer named Graeme Hancock independently came up with his own investigation into an ancient civilisation that existed prior to the ice age and that advanced civilisations existed long ago but were destroyed in a great flood. He too was labelled as a new age crackpot.

Then in the 1990s a German archaeologist Klaus Schmidt found evidence of a 12,000 year old advanced stone temple complex in Turkey that was not supposed to exist. Then new discoveries kept coming. A complex civilisation in Gudung Padang in Indonesia was found to be 20,000 years old. Underwater cities with evidence of ships and harbours of the coast of India in Dwarka were also found to be 12,000 years old.

Suddenly anything is possible, what was new age becomes fact overnight.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2022, 1:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Religion yields confusion.  Science yields knowledge.
Wait, aren't you Christian?
Yes, and an elder in the church.  What of it?

I deal with people who have not read their Bibles, yet who believe that it says things like, "Love the sinner, hate the sin", "The lion shall lay down with the lamb", "God helps those who help themselves", and "Cleanliness is next to Godliness".  The Bible does not say these things, yet 'Christian' parents are teaching their children that it does, and then get angry when I teach that it does not.

There are 'Christians' who believe that Donald Trump is God's own Anointed One, when there is no evidence -- Biblical or otherwise -- to support the claim.

There are 'Christians' who believe that the Universe was created in October of 4004 B.C. because some medieval bishop says so, even though the Bible does not.

Then there are 'Christians' who still pray to idols and dead people, even though the Bible say not to.

Science, at least, has experimental evidence to back up most of its claims.