New Age spirituality has become a cesspool of garbage

Page 10 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2022, 8:35 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The first religion came about when the first scoundrel met the first fool.

Sure, have faith in God, but do not go telling me I have to turn cartwheels while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in order to achieve salvation.
And humans like that are exactly why I wish to pray to a primordial she-demon hell bent on wiping out mankind. At least enough to keep the population down.
So then you have met my ex-wife?

:twisted:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2022, 8:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Sure, have faith in God, but do not go telling me I have to turn cartwheels while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in order to achieve salvation.
And humans like that are exactly why I wish to pray to a primordial she-demon hell bent on wiping out mankind. At least enough to keep the population down.
So then you have met my ex-wife?

:twisted:

You meet one ex you've met them all. And not just wives. :D

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2022, 11:47 pm

Fnord wrote:

Possibly. But are you familiar with the theories that the human race is naturally superstitious in the first place? I suspect the evolution of religion wasn't entirely a matter of foul play.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2022, 11:57 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Possibly. But are you familiar with the theories that the human race is naturally superstitious in the first place? I suspect the evolution of religion wasn't entirely a matter of foul play.

It wasn't I'm sure. And some people need something to believe in to get them through life. There's nothing wrong with that imo just as long as they aren't forcing their beliefs on others, especially through violence and theocratic oppression

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 12:11 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I suspect that foul play is an important factor in the establishment and spread of any religion or political system.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 12:14 am

i will admit to taking great comfort from the "new agey" stuff, it gives me a peace of mind i could not get elsewhere, that all my travails on earth wouldn't be for nothing. and after all, isn't how it makes you feel the ultimate arbiter of good and non-goodness, as long as nobody else is harmed in any way?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 12:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
i will admit to taking great comfort from the "new agey" stuff, it gives me a peace of mind i could not get elsewhere, that all my travails on earth wouldn't be for nothing. and after all, isn't how it makes you feel the ultimate arbiter of good and non-goodness, as long as nobody else is harmed in any way?

I like to think there's a difference between 'new' new age and stuff that really has been around for centuries but seems strange and exotic to those living under the Christian establishment.

My problem with new age stuff is that it sometimes feels like a scam to milk people out of their money like when wiccans waste money on fake crystals from China.

But the genuine witchy stuff that has been around for centuries like hoodoo and Appalachian folk magic for example I have greater respect for. That stuff really is steeped in tradition.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 12:30 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I like to think there's a difference between 'new' new age and stuff that really has been around for centuries but seems strange and exotic to those living under the Christian establishment.

My problem with new age stuff is that it sometimes feels like a scam to milk people out of their money like when wiccans waste money on fake crystals from China.

But the genuine witchy stuff that has been around for centuries like hoodoo and Appalachian folk magic for example I have greater respect for. That stuff really is steeped in tradition.

the stuff i got i read from dr. raymond moody, dr. ian stephenson, dr. eben alexander, dr. george ritchie, dr. melvin morse [notice all the doctors? ;) ], robert monroe, edgar cayce, "seth"/jane roberts et al. these people represent 10s of thousands of reports from people who got a taste of the other side and came back to tell the tale.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 12:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

the stuff i got i read from dr. raymond moody, dr. ian stephenson, dr. eben alexander, dr. george ritchie, dr. melvin morse [notice all the doctors? ;) ], robert monroe, edgar cayce, "seth"/jane roberts et al. these people represent 10s of thousands of reports from people who got a taste of the other side and came back to tell the tale.

That's very interesting auntblabs. :)

I just know one thing. I don't really mess around with plants because they may be poisonous ot crystals because they may be fake. But i love fortune telling with my cards. And it'll always be just a spiritual hobby to me. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 12:46 am

^^^IOW there is something goin' on with divination that isn't mere chance. Descartes was at least on the right track here, with his assertion that the mind can exist separate from the body, that consciousness is not necessarily always local.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 2:28 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
The Greek Goddess Aphrodite was also heavily influenced by the Sumerian Goddess Inanna who was also known as Ishtar.

Yes, Aphrodite was the goddess of love.
Yes the temple of Ishtar was also associated with love
Innanana was associated with fertility and love and curiously the planet venus by the Sumerians

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 2:30 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

The trick is to separate the fake stuff from the interesting stuff

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 2:33 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It wasn't I'm sure. And some people need something to believe in to get them through life. There's nothing wrong with that imo just as long as they aren't forcing their beliefs on others, especially through violence and theocratic oppression

Yes it seems a lot of people seek (and perhaps get) comfort in the belief in some kind of cosmic plan or purpose. It still surprises me that they do that, because I'm the most non-superstitious person I know, but as long as the superstitious ones don't do any harm then I have no need to interfere.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 2:39 am

Fnord wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I suspect that foul play is an important factor in the establishment and spread of any religion or political system.

I'm sure it often is.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 2:52 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm afraid to touch things like yoga out of fear of getting harassed by the woke police for the unforgivable sin of 'cultural appropriation' and being labelled as another irredeemably racist evil white boy.

:|

Yoga was brought to the West by Hindus, e.g. Swami Vivekananda and Paramahansa Yogananda. It was not "appropriated."

I assumed that DFK was joking when he claimed to be worried about someone accusing him of "cultural appropriation" if he did yoga. I guess he is serious. Lol!

Well...if someone gives you grief about doing yoga for that reason then ....just scream at them for using the number zero when they balance their check book...because using the "Hindu-Arabic number system" is also cultural appropriation from India! Lol! Tell em to go back to using Roman numerals like all Europeans did in the Middle Ages!

And ...while we are on the subject...who needs algebra? Let the Muslim Arabs have their algebra back!

I just get so...STEAMED... about how...I was forced to study algebra in middle school...I didnt realize that I coulda used that as an excuse to get out of it...that algebra is 'cultural appropriation' by Europeans from the Arab world! :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 2:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
.I didnt realize that I coulda used that as an excuse to get out of it...that algebra is 'cultural appropriation' by Europeans from the Arab world! :lol:

Pretty sure the Arabs "borrowed" algebra from the Indians