Matthew in series about Jesus written in Autistic

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 4:51 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Actually, Bart Ehrman, who I cited above, was a believer until in-depth research into the Bible made him change his stance. I fall into this demographic as well.

His classes are excellent.

Here is some info on him from Wikipedia:

He began studying the Bible, biblical theology, and biblical languages at Moody Bible Institute,[1] where he earned the school's three-year diploma in 1976.[2] He is a 1978 graduate of Wheaton College in Illinois, where he received his bachelor's degree. He received his PhD (in 1985) and MDiv from Princeton Theological Seminary,

Not hardly NPR.

He is now the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

I’ve read some of his books. He’s a great resource when it comes to the New Testament.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 4:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What would happen if Jesus Himself was portrayed as a “high-functioning” autistic person?

What would happen if he was portrayed as a sexy, bisexual, free-lovin’, hippy who had affairs with his groupies? That’s my preferred version of Jesus.

Most likely he was some nutty guy who would be in a psych ward in our day.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:31 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
What would happen if Jesus Himself was portrayed as a “high-functioning” autistic person?

What would happen if he was portrayed as a sexy, bisexual, free-lovin’, hippy who had affairs with his groupies? That’s my preferred version of Jesus.
k
Most likely he was some nutty guy who would be in a psych ward in our day.

Ya I would agree that people today would think Jesus was crazy if he lived in the 21st century.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 9:04 am

I actually feel like Jesus was an earnest person who probably had a strict moral sense, combined with a very healthy sense of Himself as superior to most other people.

I don't sense that He would have been able to foment a rebellion that would have had any impact upon Roman suzerainty in the Roman province where Jesus resided. The Crucifixion, I believe, placed Jesus on a higher plane than the Romans intended.

It's really a fascinating thing that Christianity has survived to the present day. How this was so, of course, is a ripe inspiration for scholarship and speculation.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 9:18 am

^ also an indication that He was exactly who he said He was. As described in the Bible.
There were lots of other leaders who died and their causes died with them.

But this thread is supposed to be about the TV series "The Chosen", and the character of Matthew.

So go watch it and see what you think. Decide for yourself if you like Matthew as depicted or not.

If you want to debate the person of Jesus or the history of the Bible go here:

wrongplanet.net - Politics, Philosophy, And Religion

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 9:23 am

I was actually DEFENDING Jesus :)

Of course, it's always good to watch the film to form a proper impression of a portrayal.

All I was doing was going against the notion that Jesus was crazy.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 9:32 am

If a person goes around saying that they are the son of God, that people need to follow them to be saved, and have visions with Satan on mountaintops, they will probably be considered crazy.

Being mentally ill says nothing about a person’s MORAL attributes. You can still be a good person if you have a psychotic mental illness.

With all that being said, we only have 3rd hand accounts of Jesus. He does not speak directly for himself anywhere.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 9:35 am

He might have been considered crazy today.....but I don't believe he would have been considered crazy then.

The Romans seemed to think that He was, as the expression goes, "crazy like a fox," meaning that a person is not as "crazy" as he/she seems to be----rather, that the person is clever, perhaps dangerous.

I'm a person who would love to see a portrayal of Jesus' life as (as)reflective of the actual history of Jesus and his time as possible. Perhaps I'm overly a "stickler" for this. It's okay if there are "alternate" portrayals----like that of Henry VIII in "The Tudors"---but I don't feel immense satisfaction in this.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 06 Feb 2023, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 9:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
He might have been considered crazy today.....but I don't believe he would have been considered crazy then.

I never claimed that he would’ve been considered crazy in his day.

It was a different time. People didn’t know much about mental health.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 9:49 am

I don't disagree there.

I guess I'm veering away from the topic a bit----and I apologize for that---but it was already "veered" before I even commented.

In my heart, I wish there was a "Heaven," and that there was a situation where I am assured of Eternal Life. I will only believe in a Supreme Being should my mother contact me from Heaven.

Other people who have faith in Jesus, or whoever, I have no argument with, as long they don't do anything harmful to me in the name of their religion.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 06 Feb 2023, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 9:50 am

It’s difficult to say what the historical Jesus was like since we are short on evidence.