Are NTs/humans becoming more easily offended as time passes?

Page 6 of 12 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 3:51 pm

Dear_one wrote:
No, the women were far from powerless. Ma nature is not that mean. The biggest difference in power was that the women could not brag about what they did, because it was either of only local concern, or involved deception rather than force. In the US, women got the vote because public prosecutors wanted them on juries to convict women of killing their husbands, which never happened with all male juries.
We have twice as many female ancestors as males - women were almost always enabled to raise children of their own, but many men were selected out. In any disaster, we still instinctively protect women and children, because a group can lose many men and still recover quickly. Those who put women in danger could not compete.
The push for equality makes sense for races, but not for genders. We are meant to be symbiotic, and only make poor imitations of each other when we try to ignore our biology.

I'm looking back a long way into history though. US history is very short, a few hundred years. I'm looking at history since BC times, thousands of years, when I say that women have generally been powerless. It's only in the last few hundred years women have had any power.

You're right, societies do function well with fewer men and more women...but these days due to nearly everyone surviving because of better healthcare, the balance is changing and there are slightly more men in the world than women. I'm not sure what that will do to humanity.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 4:25 pm

KitLily wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
No, the women were far from powerless. Ma nature is not that mean. The biggest difference in power was that the women could not brag about what they did, because it was either of only local concern, or involved deception rather than force. In the US, women got the vote because public prosecutors wanted them on juries to convict women of killing their husbands, which never happened with all male juries.
We have twice as many female ancestors as males - women were almost always enabled to raise children of their own, but many men were selected out. In any disaster, we still instinctively protect women and children, because a group can lose many men and still recover quickly. Those who put women in danger could not compete.
The push for equality makes sense for races, but not for genders. We are meant to be symbiotic, and only make poor imitations of each other when we try to ignore our biology.

I'm looking back a long way into history though. US history is very short, a few hundred years. I'm looking at history since BC times, thousands of years, when I say that women have generally been powerless. It's only in the last few hundred years women have had any power.

You're right, societies do function well with fewer men and more women...but these days due to nearly everyone surviving because of better healthcare, the balance is changing and there are slightly more men in the world than women. I'm not sure what that will do to humanity.

You are looking back through the filter of modern mythology. Native American tribes look like patriarchies, because the chief was generally a man in the prime of his life. However, he didn't get there by beating people up, but by helping them work together and get more done. He was chosen not by combat, or even by his gang, but by the grandmothers. They had the most interest in the future of the tribe, rather than their own fortunes, the wisdom of experience, and the interests of both men and women at heart.

When boys are busy playing sports, and building skills useful for hunting and protection through practice and teamwork, their sisters are preoccupied with learning to compete with each other by making and breaking alliances and controlling information. If women were helpless and just being kept down by physical force, they would have also taken up arms when "the great equalizer" made Billy the Kid as dangerous as any man.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 4:29 pm

^

Dude..."Billy the Kid" was a dude!

You must have him confused with Calamity Jane, or with Annie Oakley.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 4:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
^

What is the confusion? Men went for improved weapons, while women trusted their wiles. Annie Oakley did exhibitions, not executions.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 4:42 pm

Dear_one wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
^

What is the confusion? Men went for improved weapons, while women trusted their wiles. Annie Oakley did exhibitions, not executions.

You were talking about relative amounts of brute force between the sexes.

You implied that the invention of firearms leveled the playing field between the sexes by saying "the great equalizer [I assume that you mean 'guns'] made Billy the Kid the equal of any man" thereby implying that he was a woman- who suddenly could shoot men as well as they could shoot back despite woman having less physical strength or whatever. Or thats what it sounded like you were saying.

I guess its my bad. I dont know what you were saying then. What does one dude being equal to other men hafta do with what you were talking about?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2023, 5:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
^

You were talking about relative amounts of brute force between the sexes.

You implied that the invention of firearms leveled the playing field between the sexes by saying "the great equalizer [I assume that you mean 'guns'] made Billy the Kid the equal of any man" thereby implying that he was a woman- who suddenly could shoot men as well as they could shoot back despite woman having less physical strength or whatever. Or thats what it sounded like you were saying.

I guess its my bad. I dont know what you were saying then. What does one dude being equal to other men hafta do with what you were talking about?

Before guns, bigger men were more dangerous. Guns made us more equal - maybe even giving advantage to smaller targets. However, women did not take up guns to share that kind of equality - they had ways to control the gunslingers and stay safe.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 1:22 am

Dear_one wrote:
Deep in our pre-verbal, hard-wired brains, we have two separate and distinct moral codes

Your evidence for this claim?

Moral codes have varied quite a bit from one society to another. They can't be reduced to just two.

Dear_one wrote:
that can make us "feel right" when applied, whatever the evidence says. One code is for use within the home, which is a sheltered facility for raising children, who start off almost helpless, and a danger to themselves and others. A home needs a benign dictator, not a democracy. If the lady of the house declares that Santa and the Bogey man are real, other adults know not to contradict her. She also gets to dictate who is the official father, with a remarkably consistent error rate of 10%.

What is your source for this "remarkably consistent error rate of 10%"? It's not even entirely clear what you mean by "error rate," in the first place.

Anyhow, there have been plenty of cultures in which, traditionally, marriage is/was arranged, with women having very little say as to who they got married to. Thus, many women have not been in a position to "dictate" who the fathers of their children were.

Dear_one wrote:
That is low enough to keep the fathers involved, and high enough to keep the gene pool healthy and improving overall.

So, by "remarkably consistent error rate of 10%," do you mean to claim that married women consistently cheat on their husbands 10% of the time?

If indeed that's what you meant to hint at:

I would expect the rate of cheating to be highly variable. Different women, in different circumstances, vary a lot in how much opportunity they would have to cheat, and in how strongly they've internalized a moral code against adultery.

I would expect adultery to have become much more commonplace since the invention of the automobile, especially after families with two or more cars became commonplace in the 1960's or so. This would have given lots of people many more opportunities to cheat. And I would expect this to have been one of the main causes of the divorce revolution of the 1960's and afterward.

Dear_one wrote:
Out in the commons, we have to deal with our peers, and with adamant nature. Fairy tales don't help, and deception can backfire badly.

Regardless, there have been plenty of deception and "fairy tales" in the political realm. And some kinds of deception are essential to victory in war. So deception certainly isn't just a women's thing, as you seem to think.

By the way, what is your evidence that women are more inclined to be deceptive than men? (There have been studies that would seem to show, if anything, a slight tendency in the opposite direction, e.g. this one.)

Dear_one wrote:
Observation and experimentation led to agriculture. To deal with conflict, we developed fair trials and standard measures, which led to science and then technology.
Technology then reduced the power of housewives. They no longer produced both food and clothing from a garden. The children were taken away to school. Housework and cooking were simplified so anyone could do them. However, it also raised expenses. With little to do at home, and mounting bills, women went to work, but their inborn sense of authority did not adapt to the morality of the commons very well, and this has normalized intolerance.

So now you're blaming women in the workplace for today's rise in intolerance???

I should point out that the typical American workplace has always been a dictatorship. And only in unionized workplaces (NOT the majority of workplaces) are hiring and firing decisions based on anything even remotely resembling "fair trials." Also, in the vast majority of workplaces, there has always been the expectation that workers "fit in" with the workplace "culture" and conform to various social norms.

What has changed recently (within the past 10-20 years) is the nature of some of those social norms, and the changes have happened quickly enough to leave many people feeling disoriented. Most of these changes occurred MUCH more recently than the arrival of large numbers of women in the workplace, which therefore is unlikely to be the main cause.

Dear_one wrote:
Whenever we hear about "the Homeland" we find a movement to put part of the commons under rule of a dictator who is assumed to be benign, but who wants to discriminate between "family" and all others. Yes, there were religious and economic wars before, but the breakdown of family homes has fragmented society into far more factions.

While the "breakdown of family homes" has indeed resulted in various problems, I think the recent fragmentation of society is caused more by other things, such as social media and its algorithms.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 03 Jan 2023, 3:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 2:59 am

Dear_one wrote:
There seems to be more "with us or against us" going around. I can't be neutral about one group while supporting another that is underprivileged in different ways. I was considered extremely progressive most of my life, but now, I get several kinds of prejudice applied to me without an eyebrow being raised by once allied groups.

Agreed.
Politically speaking, if you are an independent centrist, you cop crap from both hyperpartisan sides.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 4:52 am

Dear_one wrote:
Deep in our pre-verbal, hard-wired brains, we have two separate and distinct moral codes that can make us "feel right" when applied, whatever the evidence says. One code is for use within the home, which is a sheltered facility for raising children, who start off almost helpless, and a danger to themselves and others. A home needs a benign dictator, not a democracy. If the lady of the house declares that Santa and the Bogey man are real, other adults know not to contradict her. She also gets to dictate who is the official father, with a remarkably consistent error rate of 10%. That is low enough to keep the fathers involved, and high enough to keep the gene pool healthy and improving overall.
Out in the commons, we have to deal with our peers, and with adamant nature. Fairy tales don't help, and deception can backfire badly. Observation and experimentation led to agriculture. To deal with conflict, we developed fair trials and standard measures, which led to science and then technology.
Technology then reduced the power of housewives. They no longer produced both food and clothing from a garden. The children were taken away to school. Housework and cooking were simplified so anyone could do them. However, it also raised expenses. With little to do at home, and mounting bills, women went to work, but their inborn sense of authority did not adapt to the morality of the commons very well, and this has normalized intolerance. Whenever we hear about "the Homeland" we find a movement to put part of the commons under rule of a dictator who is assumed to be benign, but who wants to discriminate between "family" and all others. Yes, there were religious and economic wars before, but the breakdown of family homes has fragmented society into far more factions.

This hypothesis you have about women bringing their inner sense of authority to the commons is very interresting. It reminds me of how women's associations played an important role for both prohibition and women's suffrage in the US. Basically as soon as women began participating in politics, first thing they did was to exert control based on morality.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2023, 5:36 am

Interesting question.

I think as our communities fall away from church and religion; culture fills in the gaps with their religion. Secular religion doctrine is social justice, personal truth (vs absolute truth), being dominated by feelings instead of facts, limited speech so as not to offend anyone, and majority rule dictated by popular trends and the idols of the day (Fauci for one example/actors/actresses/politicians/the elite/schools).

:idea: I guess my theory is that there existed an adopted Judeo-Christian mores which most folks and families adhered to for nearly 200 years which goes all the way back to our country's founding. And in the 1960's that started eroding away with humanistic theological and philosophical pursuits which has led to a modern hodge-podge of beliefs and notions in our citizenry with little coherence or common denominator with which to relate to each other. :?:

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 6:51 am

MissMary227 wrote:
Interesting question.

I think as our communities fall away from church and religion; culture fills in the gaps with their religion. Secular religion doctrine is social justice, personal truth (vs absolute truth), being dominated by feelings instead of facts, limited speech so as not to offend anyone, and majority rule dictated by popular trends and the idols of the day (Fauci for one example/actors/actresses/politicians/the elite/schools).

:idea: I guess my theory is that there existed an adopted Judeo-Christian mores which most folks and families adhered to for nearly 200 years which goes all the way back to our country's founding. And in the 1960's that started eroding away with humanistic theological and philosophical pursuits which has led to a modern hodge-podge of beliefs and notions in our citizenry with little coherence or common denominator with which to relate to each other. :?:

Certainly what we are seeing now with wokeism is the birth of a religion, or an attempt at it. As Nick Cave called it, "A bad religion run amok". It shares a lot of similarities with religions, it has its own doctrine free of reality, it has it's special magic words, it has it's infidels, It has its saints like Greta Thunberg, Malala, Faucci etc. It has happened before. Communism was probably the largest religion in the world during the 20th century. It had it's dogma, it's prophet (Karl Marx), it's sacred text (The Communist Manifesto), it's church (The Communist party) and its eschatology (Communism). Fascism was similarly a religion. That's why those who opposed Nazism the most from within the German society, were the priests and pastors, because they could see that this was an ideology foreign to the Christian faith. The 19th century German philosopher Friedrich Nitzche was the one to predict what was to come in the 20th century by proclaming "the god is dead". Meaning that since scientific advance had rendered the Christian faith unbelievable, now the western societies were in a moral crisis. He was afraid of what was to come that is going to fill that gap which the abandonement of Christianity left. Unfortunately he was proven to be right as we witnessed during the 20th century with the raise of Communism and it's cousin, Fascism. What we are witnessing today with this cluster of morality and virtue signsling based movements, like intersectionality, critical theory, climate change, green new deal and so on, is yet another attempt at filling that gap.

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2023, 7:02 am

@ dengashinobi

Nice overview.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 7:22 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
Certainly what we are seeing now with wokeism is the birth of a religion, or an attempt at it. As Nick Cave called it, "A bad religion run amok". It shares a lot of similarities with religions, it has its own doctrine free of reality, it has it's special magic words, it has it's infidels, It has its saints like Greta Thunberg, Malala, Faucci etc. It has happened before. Communism was probably the largest religion in the world during the 20th century. It had it's dogma, it's prophet (Karl Marx), it's sacred text (The Communist Manifesto), it's church (The Communist party) and its eschatology (Communism). Fascism was similarly a religion. That's why those who opposed Nazism the most from within the German society, were the priests and pastors, because they could see that this was an ideology foreign to the Christian faith. The 19th century German philosopher Friedrich Nitzche was the one to predict what was to come in the 20th century by proclaming "the god is dead". Meaning that since scientific advance had rendered the Christian faith unbelievable, now the western societies were in a moral crisis. He was afraid of what was to come that is going to fill that gap which the abandonement of Christianity left. Unfortunately he was proven to be right as we witnessed during the 20th century with the raise of Communism and it's cousin, Fascism. What we are witnessing today with this cluster of morality and virtue signsling based movements, like intersectionality, critical theory, climate change, green new deal and so on, is yet another attempt at filling that gap.

Out of curiosity are you familiar at all with the term 'the metacrisis'? If not you might enjoy following that chain a bit, particularly the long-form podcasts where Daniel Schmachtenberger gets into his description of it. It's a lot to process but he's really good at hitting the details.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 7:35 am

I've also found this to be true over the course of my lifetime. Honesty used to be seen as a good thing in the past decades and I used to be able to joke around. People weren't so hung up on political correctness in the past decades. There was one member at my clubhouse who took offense at the fact that I carved an iron cross in the back of my pumpkin around Halloween. It seems that people have become snowflakes.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 8:25 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:

Out of curiosity are you familiar at all with the term 'the metacrisis'? If not you might enjoy following that chain a bit, particularly the long-form podcasts where Daniel Schmachtenberger gets into his description of it. It's a lot to process but he's really good at hitting the details.

I hadn't been familiar with the term. I read a little about it. It's a very interresting notion. It's premise is something it can definitely be felt. I will research it further for sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2023, 8:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:
I dislike social media due to spyware, but I don't think its just because of social media. I have defriended people even though I have hardly any close friends or immediate replacements.

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Not only social media but the internet in general has created an expectation of instant simplistic answers.

Yes, I think the problem is multifaceted. The ghosting culture probably cannot be blamed on just one monolithic entity, such as social media, but there are other economic and cultural factors involved also.

KitLily wrote:
Caz72 wrote:
i find people so hard to talk to because having to remember what offends and what doesnt

mind you , people say much more harmful things to us than what we probably ever said to them so dont really know what im worrying about

I agree with you 100%. And however hard I try, I manage to offend people anyway and get ghosted/dumped. I never have any idea why.

Although, when I used to get dumped 10 years ago, I sometimes had an idea about what I'd said wrong, but the person didn't tell me so I was guessing.

Now days, I literally have zero idea why I get dumped. Nil. None.

That's another reason I think people are getting more easily offended: Over the years, it's gone from 'me not offending anyone', to 'me offending people with a vague idea why', to 'me offending people with zero idea why'.

Very strange.

Same here. There was a transgirl I was trying to date, and on our first meeting she acted like she was into me and then the next day ghosted me with no explanation. Later I found out she was a flat-earther so there's no explanation for that kind of crazy. To this day I still don't know exactly why she ghosted me. One of my theories is that when I left the car, maybe she didn't like the side-angle of my face, or maybe she didn't like my walking style. Idk.

Dengashinobi wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
Interesting question.

If they viewed Fauci as that, they wouldn't be very woke, as he tortures dogs for no reason (and basically the whole NiH tortures animals also.) The Land Management down south also slaughtered a bunch of wild horses for oil.

The whole woke thing is basically a change of hands from right-wingers who acted the same as modern woke leftists. In the past, right-wingers were intolerant of things such as queers or things that questioned their religion. There was a whole right-wing cancel culture for anything outside of tradcon dogma.

Maybe the Romans ended up embracing Christianity due to the lack of tolerance of society, perhaps there society was getting infested by cancel-culture needed to learn to forgive and forget. Modern Christianity seems to be missing the point as Jesus was basically a commie and Republicans seem really intolerant. Though cruxifiction is barbaric and primitive, maybe there should be some sort of torture punishment given to people who torture animals and such.