Are NTs/humans becoming more easily offended as time passes?

Page 8 of 12 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 8:14 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Yes I think a real-life group of people is different like that. There's usually at least some element of co-operation even in modern cities where everybody's supposed to be so alienated from each other. You don't want to alienate your neighbour because you might want to borrow his lawnmower. But on social media, not so much. So it can become a competitive debating game and an outlet for venting the spleen.

I suppose television news can be quite a trigger for the viewers to debate thorny issues such as politics and religion, as the news is usually full of items about those subjects. It's almost a form of trolling, though it's hard to know what to do about it, except to wait until nobody watches live TV any more.

Exactly. Real life people are more co-operative but online, they can be vile. I make sure I'm friendly to my neighbours in case I need them, and I sometimes do!

I avoid the news on TV, there's enough of it online :(

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 8:15 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Someone said on WP that humans need to re-learn to compromise and make amends, instead of just moving on regardless. I agree.

Agreed.

And we especially need to re-learn to do these things within small subcultures -- such as the autistic community.

I think humans need to be taught this art. Maybe at school? Although I think a lot of schools practise compromising and making amends, it's just when the kids leave school that they forget.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 7:07 pm

When I try to quote and reply, I just get a "check for secure connection" loop. I suspect someone got offended.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 10:27 pm

Dear_one wrote:
When I try to quote and reply, I just get a "check for secure connection" loop. I suspect someone got offended.

I get that when my replies are too long. Truncating them usually fixes it....

On topic.... I've probably noticed sudden dumps for no discernible reason since the late 90's....

I think "advancement" is partly to blame....

automobiles enabled "road rage" (when we all rode horses and carriages was there such rage?)

And then the internet and subsequent online interactions allowed people to "de-personalize" other humans on the other side of the screen.

It's easier to villainize a person when they are not viewed as a person. Technology makes this very easy.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 11:03 pm

KitLily wrote:
And social climbing is emphatically NOT what autistic people are interested in. So I think that these days we are seen as no-hopers because we don't know how to schmooze and be fake so we can climb the social ladder.

Total agreement, that most autistic ppl aren't interested in "social climbing".

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 11:10 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I get that when my replies are too long. Truncating them usually fixes it....

I get those too with long replies, especially with many quotes in them. But these days the thing just says "checking for secure connection" and if I wait a minute it eventually posts the reply. Back in the day, it would give a Capcha puzzle instead, which was too small to see and solve.

Back on topic.....I can't think of anything to say. :(

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 11:33 pm

Well, I'll try this. In reply to Mona Pereth, of Jan 3 12:22 AM:

Human memory is not like a book or a movie. Every time it is "read" it gets re-written, and it may have gotten edited. In my ex, it only took days for a vague suspicion to become "solid fact" in her mind. My support group is full of men who are getting trashed by lies. The sincerity generated by the erasing of self-doubt is so great that in the US, DNA testing shows that 33% of the men paying child support are not the actual fathers, but the courts still won't remove the orders. Women on Maury Povich's show were spectacularly adamant that they had not been unfaithful until test results were announced, and then were outraged, not repentant. People believe what they want to.

Zeke the alien
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2023, 12:00 am

I personally don't think so. I believe that there have always been the same amount of easily offended people living on this planet called Earth, however, I think that the internet amplified thier voices, and "the squeaky wheel always gets the grease" or so my high-school history teacher used to say.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 3:46 am

Pepe wrote:
KitLily wrote:
And social climbing is emphatically NOT what autistic people are interested in. So I think that these days we are seen as no-hopers because we don't know how to schmooze and be fake so we can climb the social ladder.

When I think about my whole ethical model - social climbing isn't just uninteresting, to try and demolish my personality and integrity in order to be whatever or whoever other people would want me to be just for the sake of 'get more things' from people feels like a sacrilege, like I'd be treating my own mind and body as something throw-away when really the highest aim is to be their protector, caretaker, and custodian and do the best I possibly can for myself on those fronts (and it's about being able to show up as an adult in the world).

I really think that meeting people half-way and being a team player in terms of work is really the most people should be able to ask of you before they're really stepping on your rights (there might be some niche professions where you need schmooze skills based on what the job actually is, particularly sales, but it shouldn't obligate if it isn't identical to your capacity to perform the job). Past that if things get so 'competitive' that the choice is between right to psychological autonomy and having a roof over your head and food to eat - we're not doing western civilization anymore, perhaps something closer to mimicking empire Rome.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 4:46 am

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
On topic.... I've probably noticed sudden dumps for no discernible reason since the late 90's....

I think "advancement" is partly to blame....

automobiles enabled "road rage" (when we all rode horses and carriages was there such rage?)

And then the internet and subsequent online interactions allowed people to "de-personalize" other humans on the other side of the screen.

It's easier to villainize a person when they are not viewed as a person. Technology makes this very easy.

Yes, I think the internet has made it worse as time goes on. I can't remember being dumped before the internet arrived and gave people millions of choices of friends. Therefore we are all seen as disposable and unimportant now.

Last edited by KitLily on 05 Jan 2023, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 4:49 am

Pepe wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes, what is the point of it? I treat people equally. I was shocked to learn from a work friend that work colleagues treated me with respect because I am 'a married woman' and she got treated with more scorn and mockery because she was single.

How rude and horrible! What a thing to do. Why am I 'higher status' because I'm married and she isn't? I can't understand that.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 4:50 am

Zeke the alien wrote:
I personally don't think so. I believe that there have always been the same amount of easily offended people living on this planet called Earth, however, I think that the internet amplified thier voices, and "the squeaky wheel always gets the grease" or so my high-school history teacher used to say.

Do you think the internet has made people more easily offended in real life? Because the real life people are the ones suddenly taking offence and dumping me.

I don't care if internet people take offence, I don't know who they are anyway.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 4:52 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Past that if things get so 'competitive' that the choice is between right to psychological autonomy and having a roof over your head and food to eat - we're not doing western civilization anymore, perhaps something closer to mimicking empire Rome.

I think you're right. Life is just so competitive now that we are all encouraged to hate each other and not see any allies...or friends. We have all been set against each other, desperately working all hours of the day and night to earn enough to live on. There's no room for friends if we spend all our time working and competing...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 4:58 am

KitLily wrote:
I think you're right. Life is just so competitive now that we are all encouraged to hate each other and not see any allies...or friends. We have all been set against each other, desperately working all hours of the day and night to earn enough to live on. There's no room for friends if we spend all our time working and competing...

Even worse - you can lose any right to be your own person because there's no space left between survival and the need to completely rewrite your personality, beliefs, conscience, etc. for surviving the immediate environment.

At that point it's full-on dystopia and calling such a system 'democracy' is risible.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 5:03 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Even worse - you can lose any right to be your own person because there's no space left between survival and the need to completely rewrite your personality, beliefs, conscience, etc. for surviving the immediate environment.

At that point it's full-on dystopia and calling such a system 'democracy' is risible.

I agree with you there.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 5:17 am

Zeke the alien wrote:

Disagree.
Modern-day "Political Correctness" has a lot to do with ppl *looking* to be offended.