Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 2:14 am

discuss. 8)

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 2:22 am

A big rhetorical AMEN to that. :D :D

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 2:25 am

Waiting for Raggy to come here .... :P

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 2:41 am

I'll wait for evidence either way. I lean towards atheism, but I am actually agnostic.

On sabbatical...

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 2:53 am

Why is it about every week or two someone has to post this or a similar topic. God is dead, God is an illusion, God is this, God is that. Are you trying to make yourselves believe it or something? Because it really is getting annoying, and smacks of trollism and baiting. It's offensive. At least the ones discussing this or that book had some constructive merit.

My 2 cents. I won't stay to discuss since this dead horse has been beaten enough in these forums and I'm bored of getting on this merry-go-round again.

18:33. Press 'Return'

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 3:08 am

Quatermass wrote:
I'll wait for evidence either way. I lean towards atheism, but I am actually agnostic.

I'm agnostic as well, I don't think I actually lean towards atheism, more like in the middle I think.

Although I believe to be kinda skeptical or lean towards to be that about the Bible, which it looks very likely to be a series of writings without any inspiration from God, other than men themselves and part of the real inspiration being previous cultures and previous religions as well, not God or at least not in a direct form as it is claimed to be. In that case the God from the Bible could be seen as a myth, it is discribed in a way who was more acceptable at the time if you take the literal interpretation or the interpretation intended to be at the time, which it wouldn't be acceptable by today's standards.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 3:25 am

Starbuline wrote:
God is a myth.

Most likely.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 3:38 am

myth IS everything.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 3:52 am

I don't think God is a myth. He is male so he is actually a mythter.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 4:13 am

Postperson wrote:
myth IS everything.

And everything is from God. Are we establishing a pattern here?

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2007, 5:40 am

I'm more agnostic than anything too, albeit an agnostic who embraces his own subjective experiences as meaningful even though it's unlikely there's any universal truth to them. I wouldn't say that G!d is a myth but that all descriptions of G!d that exist or might ever be attempted will invariably be myth, which isn't to say there's no truth to them at all. There may or may not be truth to them. I'm not using the word in the popular sense of an untruth, but in the sense of a genre that includes a lot of narratives about the world based as much on human imagination as on science.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 5:44 am

Quatermass wrote:

I've decided to take that position as well.

There always remains the distinct possibility of there being a god due to the nature of such things. If it was a God and didn't want to show itself, we wouldn't be able to find or comprehend it, not with this level of technology. And if it doesn't exist, we can't be certain. It's a matter of faith that God does or doesn't exist.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Aug 2007, 5:56 am

Pandora wrote:
I don't think God is a myth. He is male so he is actually a mythter.

:lol: It takes a lot to break me up at 7am - thank you.

There is something sentient greater than us, which we can't begin to describe or know, and which we sometimes express through myths.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Aug 2007, 5:59 am

Deleted double post

Last edited by Claradoon on 15 Aug 2007, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 6:12 am

Perhaps mythic in writing or storytelling.. i personally believe in God and am a reluctantly self professed christian... although i dont like using that word, because of the stigma it has earned through the years... i think it was a derogatory name to begin with.
I love God, and i am not threatened by athiests or agnostics... I know what i personally believe and respect the views of others... sure i may sound ignorant or archaic, but Its been a long and drawn out process of faith to get where i am ... I dont like arguing about the existance of God.... I am not trying to evangelize the world every waking minute... Atheism takes just as much faith as far as i am concerned. I truly think that we all can coexist respectfully. i am tired of the christian church going after homosexuality and other hot topics today.. its all wrong to hate anyone or to be caught up in a game of "i am holier than thou. "
The truth is that everyone is screwed up in varying degrees and we all need to help each other, instead of singling each other out. says the dirty hippie.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 6:57 am

Would be interesting to see what Jamie Heineman and Adam Savage would say, and could they bust it.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.