Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:03 pm

Me: "It was the worst of times, ... it was the worst of times. It was the age of insanity, it was the age of stupidity. It was the pandemic of covid, it was the epidemic of despair. It was the season of climate change, it was the spring of fires, it was the winter of floods..."

:skull: :skull: :skull:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:06 pm

It's not the "worst of times." I would rather be alive now than in the middle ages. Perhaps going back a few years would be better.

I like modern medicine and technology.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 13 Mar 2023, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:17 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
It's not the "worst of times." I would rather by alive now than in the middle ages. Perhaps going back a few years would be better.

I like modern medicine and technology.

What makes this age so terrible (to me at least) is that we may very well be witnessing the apocalypse in the making and rather than actually trying to slow it down with our advanced scientific technology we seem to have self-serving populist politicians and their fanatical supporters wanting to speed it up.

How exactly is that NOT stupidity or insanity?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:23 pm

I think we're in a state of transition.

The old world is on its death bed but periodically sits up and insists it's fine to be discharged while the new one is the midst of being born and already asking to borrow the car.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:31 pm

I agree, but keep in mind this. Change is not always for the better.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:32 pm

lil_hippie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2023, 6:18 pm

We're in a very bad spot, regardless of what your political persuasion is. I think we would do a lot better if we didn't have to stress out living under the thumb of the opposition by returning power to the local, city level, and making a hierarchy of where power is strongest at the city level, than the county level, than the state level, and then at the federal level.

This way, people can live how they want to live, and you don't have to worry about whether trans rights or 2nd amendment rights or abortion protections or gay marriage will be trampled on. It would allow for more experimentation and greater progress as we'll be able to see conservative and liberal ideas get unleashed with far less restraint.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:01 pm

Ball of Confusion.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 11:33 pm

"The Disinformation Age"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 2:42 am

The snowflake era.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 9:02 am

I'd say politically we're living in an era where a few bad faith actors have more or less successfully convinced half of people that they hate the other half, despite them having far more in common with each other than they do with the people telling them who to hate.

Divide and rule has long been a method of governance but I think it's particularly successful in the current era because of a few things:

1. I think our civilization is in a period of decline. Not necessarily fatal decline, but I think people are generally aware that the near future is going to be worse than the near past. When that is the belief it's very tempting to look for people to blame. And that's easy to exploit if you see profit in it.

2. Feeding into that is the changes in social psychology thanks to the internet and social media. People find it easier to find like-minded people, slap a label on themselves and announce their presence to the world. Simply identifying groups you disagree with is easier.

3. The internet has also allowed a lot of discussion to move from in-person to online. It's so much easier to simply disregard or invalidate people when they aren't standing in front of you.

4. Technology has also accelerated our expectations of change. Social and cultural changes that in the past would have taken decades, centuries even to become the norm are now expected to be adopted almost overnight. That's a lot to deal with.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 9:25 am

'Socially distant' comes to mind. I find it bizarre that we are technically all so connected yet somehow seem to be more distant to other humans and our own humanity now. This technology that could have brought us all together more often than not seems (to me anyhow) to have had the exact opposite effect. Maybe disconnected would be a better way to say it than socially distant. Online stuff also seems to keep people from going outside as well as not being present in the company of others. I dunno. I just wanted a covid reference in there. :lol:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 9:45 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
'Socially distant' comes to mind. I find it bizarre that we are technically all so connected yet somehow seem to be more distant to other humans and our own humanity now. This technology that could have brought us all together more often than not seems (to me anyhow) to have had the exact opposite effect. Maybe disconnected would be a better way to say it than socially distant. Online stuff also seems to keep people from going outside as well as not being present in the company of others. I dunno. I just wanted a covid reference in there. :lol:

Agreed, the more time I spend online the more I come away with the impression that the world is one big bin fire and the sooner mother nature kicks us to the kerb the better.

It's worth going outside once in a while - you probably won't see bigotry, you probably won't see wokism, you probably won't meet an economic migrant, you probably won't encounter a feminazi, you probably won't be abused for your sexual preference, most likely no one will expect you to guess what gender pronouns to use for them and get upset if you get it wrong - whatever frightens you or makes you angry, you probably won't see it. It's actually much nicer out there than the internet would have you believe.

InTheWild
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2023, 9:49 am

The era of over analysis.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 9:54 am

InTheWild wrote:
The era of over analysis.

Guilty. :|

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 10:02 am

AGREES WITH fnord above ,, but this does does seem like the Guilded age ...for those living in a higher life style whatever tbat maybe to you . But obviously as people have apparently done the research and And due to decisions of those inpower , we will eventually be seeing the next evolution of the planet in , or within a few generations .
When the happens we will experience the same fate as the great civilizations before us . Mu was great at one time and obviously what happened to the people whom developed the Atithicarian devise for navigation . With all its intricate clockwork mechanisims . Found at the bottom of the ocean.. long before there were ever Swiss timepieces.
When this epoch ends what traces of us will be left behind . Efforts to preserve this planet are all seemingly to be based in profit making companies . And disinformation to the masses about how they will help our planet.
Then some something really stupid takes place and big headed government types make Wars . Nobody ever talks about the environmental effects on our eco system of Warfare. War is a luxury noone can afford . For the sake of the planet . All the money it takes to make War . Who controls those purse strings . (THE VERY WEALTHY) .
Those billions of dollars could be easily spent for preparations for the eventual global shifts the planet will be facing
to help either survivalbility or instructions on what not to do for future populations of the planet . 8O :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are