Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TheUndiagnosed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Apr 2023, 11:46 pm

klanka wrote:
They are some good jobs and some s**t jobs.

I had a programming job which was great.

What kind of programming job did you get and why did you enjoy it? I'm curious since I would also like to get a job in programming

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 5:12 am

It was work from home 100% and I was using c#.
I learnt the language on the job as one language is pretty much like another. Especially two oop languages.

I didn't have anything strict happen, like being monitored or my time being tracked.

I put in the work and got good results. Shame I lost it due to mental health issues.(not caused by the job)

I enjoyed it because programming is enjoyable...plus the relaxed environment.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 5:40 am

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
I just kinda view the whole job thing as bizzarre. I remember in the 60's and 70's there was a spiritual anti-work movement, where the leading minds of culture painted an educational picture of trying to escape wage-slavery. But in the 2000s and 2010s, that seems to have somewhat dissipated and is replaced by this neoliberal workaholic attitude, where even commoners seem to drone on about how vital work is.

Is it just about the money, or do people unironically want to work? I do not understand why someone could honestly defend working at a mcjobs for 8 hours every day. In my eyes Squidward is the real hero of the show and it feels like I'm in some alternate reality where Humans have become some sort of Bee-genetic-hybrid creature who want to keep working as wage slavies.

Is this the average persons opinion or just a bunch of They Live shills or something trying to make it appear as its the commoners opinion?

I can understand if its about the money, but nowadays people are making it seem like humans need to work at mcjobs or something, as if mcjobs are a spiritual requirement for a healthy life.

Because if I go on stage and say "I figured out how to make crops 500% more efficient, in fact everyone can now easily grow food" I'd get boo'ed off the stage because now there would be less jobs. It feels like some people want to on purpose have a technologic regression back to the stone age just so people have more jobs. "Lets make the means of production less efficient and more laborious, in fact lets de-evolve as a species" said no one ever, yet that's the attitude people seem to have these days.

If we had a UBI system we could have more robots doing work and less crime. But I get that people are afraid of Biden or Trudeau making people "eat ze bugs" in order to get UBI, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think the courts are strong enough such that legislation to "eat ze bugs" in order to get UBI would never actually happen. Some other concerns are that UBI will mean the government can force people to do whatever they want, such that felons won't be able to get UBI. But I think felons not having UBI would only increase crime. Imo people who want to increase crime in order for their to be more jobs in law enforcement have no business being in law enforcement. I think the ideology of just "increasing jobs" is a dangerous slope.

I think even McJob's are good for people because it keeps them busy and active instead of watching daytime TV all the time although I am one to talk.However I think people with bachelor's degrees should not have to work min wage dead end McJobs but sadly thats the way our economy is.I am still looking for my first real job after college.But I would be happy working a middle-class office job for a few years but really I would rather just grow my passive income if that does not work out.Thankfully I found a way to get steady paychecks without working but it will be a long time before I get dividend income to support me full-time.Although theoretically I could live off the oil wells instead of working for a living for 40 years.

Sadly the American Dream is dead.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2023, 1:11 pm

I think the work world - as well as ever-lengthening hours - are a kind of arms race where whoever works their employees harder and pays less beats the company who doesn't do those things, especially if all other things are equal.

People want to work not just for being able to pay bills but for status. A lot of people want any excuse they can find to treat anyone whose not them as utterly inferior and social rules in place where they can force that person into being a social foot stool. In that sense people work and try to get higher status jobs not only for having their own roof over their heads or to save up for the kids' college funds but also so they aren't being constantly dominated and ratioed by anyone who feels like they have the status-right to abuse them.

This is also part of why I worry about UBI. If most of us end up on UBI and everyone wants to not only be superior to everyone else but demands that other people acknowledge their 'by birth' superiority and supplicates to them, the social world is probably going to be very abusive and violent, even significantly more so than it is now. I'd also figure the prison population, even in the US where it's already huge, might double or triple.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2023, 6:29 am

Recidivist wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:
I remember in the 60's and 70's there was a spiritual anti-work movement

Either someone has implanted a memory in your mind, you have a time machine you are keeping secret, you read about the movement or your age is wrong :P

Or I'm being too literal again :jester:

I am referring to the music of the 60s and 70s, of course which was 10x better than most modern music.

Also this: https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/fo ... again.html
For 95% of human history humans only worked 15 hours a week

Quote:
I think even McJob's are good for people because it keeps them busy and active instead of watching daytime TV all the time although I am one to talk.

This is 2023. Most people are transitioning to computer games and youtube instead of daytime soaps. Youtube can be educational although the algorithm seems to be harmful at times. If the goal is exercise you could just pay people to pick up litter or something or jobs that actually benefit society. Or setting up sports contests with paid awards so even average people can get paid to compete at sports. Standing around as a frycook selling junk food isn't great exercise nor is it very beneficial to society.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 7:20 am

How could UBI even be a thing.if nobody wanted to work to contribute to it?

Robots are a long time away from making any significant changes and what about people who can't be replaced by robots like carpenters and electricians? Should they get significantly more pay because they would be part of an increasingly small number of people who have to work?

A lot of jobs are fairly longish hours by nature too. Blue collar and weirdly banking and advanced medicals seem to be long weeks.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 9:45 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think the work world - as well as ever-lengthening hours - are a kind of arms race where whoever works their employees harder and pays less beats the company who doesn't do those things, especially if all other things are equal.

People want to work not just for being able to pay bills but for status. A lot of people want any excuse they can find to treat anyone whose not them as utterly inferior and social rules in place where they can force that person into being a social foot stool. In that sense people work and try to get higher status jobs not only for having their own roof over their heads or to save up for the kids' college funds but also so they aren't being constantly dominated and ratioed by anyone who feels like they have the status-right to abuse them.

This is also part of why I worry about UBI. If most of us end up on UBI and everyone wants to not only be superior to everyone else but demands that other people acknowledge their 'by birth' superiority and supplicates to them, the social world is probably going to be very abusive and violent, even significantly more so than it is now. I'd also figure the prison population, even in the US where it's already huge, might double or triple.

Another thing that worries me about UBI is slavery. It's an enormous expenses that's failed in every country brave enough to try experimenting with it but to fund something as expensive as UBI, I worry the people who do work will be absolutely flogged senseless.

To give extra funds to those who won't work, surely those that do need to work longer or get pummeled by extremely high taxes. The workload or taxes can get so high that they might constitute to slavery.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 3:26 pm

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Recidivist wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:
I remember in the 60's and 70's there was a spiritual anti-work movement

Either someone has implanted a memory in your mind, you have a time machine you are keeping secret, you read about the movement or your age is wrong :P

Or I'm being too literal again :jester:

I am referring to the music of the 60s and 70s, of course which was 10x better than most modern music.

Also this: https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/fo ... again.html
For 95% of human history humans only worked 15 hours a week

Quote:
I think even McJob's are good for people because it keeps them busy and active instead of watching daytime TV all the time although I am one to talk.

This is 2023. Most people are transitioning to computer games and youtube instead of daytime soaps. Youtube can be educational although the algorithm seems to be harmful at times. If the goal is exercise you could just pay people to pick up litter or something or jobs that actually benefit society. Or setting up sports contests with paid awards so even average people can get paid to compete at sports. Standing around as a frycook selling junk food isn't great exercise nor is it very beneficial to society.

I was just using it as an example but I disagree with you on at least one point because I think even McJobs can be so very beneficial to society and human civilization and America because we would not have groceries if we did not have people working McJobs at corporations like Walmart and HEB.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2023, 10:43 pm

People generally want to work for several reasons besides the obvious money.

It gives people a sense of purpose and identity. That was generally true in the 70s also.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 12:22 am

^
I think work is like a vitamin - too little or too much becomes unpleasant and makes people ill, but the right amount is good.
Jobs on the other hand are rather more than just work. There are questions of who's calling the shots, who you're working for, whether or not the remuneration is fair, the working conditions, and whether or not the job traps you (long hours for barely enough pay to live on so that you're took exhausted and pushed for time to find a way to anything better). The work I did when I had a job wasn't the source of much displeasure to me, it was the other stuff that bothered me. Certain bosses sometimes turned what could have been a good experience into a bad one.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2023, 1:00 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
^
I think work is like a vitamin - too little or too much becomes unpleasant and makes people ill, but the right amount is good.
Jobs on the other hand are rather more than just work. There are questions of who's calling the shots, who you're working for, whether or not the remuneration is fair, the working conditions, and whether or not the job traps you (long hours for barely enough pay to live on so that you're took exhausted and pushed for time to find a way to anything better). The work I did when I had a job wasn't the source of much displeasure to me, it was the other stuff that bothered me. Certain bosses sometimes turned what could have been a good experience into a bad one.

I see a lot of young people with no jobs going a bit strange over a long period of time. They develop odd and ironic extreme political views often around money, welfare, housing and morality

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2023, 2:57 am

Nades wrote:
I see a lot of young people with no jobs going a bit strange over a long period of time. They develop odd and ironic extreme political views often around money, welfare, housing and morality

It may be interesting to hear examples of those views.

As a retired chap who was very rarely jobless, I don't think my views have changed much, but there's likely a lot of difference between old-age-retirement and young-age unemployment. My income just turns up in a stable manner with no conditions attached, so there's little anxiety about losing it apart from the likely gradual erosion from inflation, which is only partly compensated for, and it doesn't look likely to shrink too far for comfort in my lifetime. Not do I notice any feelings of uselessness that are said to be common among those who "don't contribute to society." Whether that's because I "feel I've done my bit" or because I'm to a degree still helpful to others, I don't really know.

When I was in work, it was medical science research - I wasn't personally inventing cancer cures but I suppose I was a small but real cog in a mysterious machine that ultimately does exactly that. I know of no way to quantify how many or how few saved lives, prolonged lives, or health improvements I indirectly effected. I didn't much consider the social worth of the job when I started it many years ago - it was much more to do with it being the most efficient and least uncomfortable way I could find to acquire an income. On the rare occasions when I thought about it at all, it was when I noticed all the "non-jobs" that people do, the jobs that have little or no social worth or, rather worse, are more about harming people than helping them. But I didn't dwell on it. I never felt any particular desire to maximise my contribution to society, only to try to do no harm and to stop society (and employers) from harming me.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2023, 4:06 am

Nades wrote:

I think too long without doing something productive and meaningful sends most people crazy. When I was a stay at home mum with no paid work I got suicidal due to being so lonely.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2023, 7:16 am

Interesting,

When I was a stay at home mom with no paid work I got very tired and deeply resented the cooking And housework, which I could never convince my Dh were completely separate from the job of “mom” which I loved!

Currently I am a teacher in a nonprofit program working for near poverty level wages. (One of our teachers is leaving this year because she can’t afford decent housing - she is renting a friend’s basement.) I would do most of my job for free if I had no need of currency. They pay me to: take attendance, keep records, grade assignments, write evaluations of students, end classes on time, stick to my subject, communicate with parents, enforce arbitrary rules and guidelines, and attend useless meetings. I am bad at some of those things because I do not like them.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2023, 8:09 am

Quantum duck wrote:
Interesting,

When I was a stay at home mom with no paid work I got very tired and deeply resented the cooking And housework, which I could never convince my Dh were completely separate from the job of “mom” which I loved!

Yes that's the truth isn't it. Housework is not productive or meaningful because everything just gets dirty again! I am much happier now I work from home as an editor and can use my brain instead of existing as a kind of housekeeper doing brainless jobs like ironing. I found it very hard to make mum friends and so me and my daughter were alone most days. I forced myself to go to any free classes with her though, as we didn't have the money for the paid ones. We also didn't have a 2nd car so I could even take my daughter anywhere. Living in a small village with little public transport was very, very lonely.

If I'd had a nice group of mum friends to share happy times with and chat to, I'd have been a lot happier but it was not to be. Most mums worked outside the home and mocked me for 'being a lazy stay at home parent.'

Erm...no! I don't know why people think stay at home parenting is easier- the hours are 5.30am to 10pm, unpaid, lonely, exhausting, frightening. You don't even get toilet breaks. You get no positive support. All you get is told what you're doing wrong all day, even by total strangers. Although I remember the ONE time an ex teacher stopped me in the street to COMPLIMENT me on how I was teaching my daughter to cross the road properly. Instead of the endless strangers stopping me in the street to criticise me.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Quantum duck wrote:
Currently I am a teacher in a nonprofit program working for near poverty level wages. (One of our teachers is leaving this year because she can’t afford decent housing - she is renting a friend’s basement.) I would do most of my job for free if I had no need of currency. They pay me to: take attendance, keep records, grade assignments, write evaluations of students, end classes on time, stick to my subject, communicate with parents, enforce arbitrary rules and guidelines, and attend useless meetings. I am bad at some of those things because I do not like them.

Oh I've done a job like that! I absolutely LOVED it! I loved working with the children. I had to resign though because my husband got a new job and we had to move house. Fun times of being a wife eh.

However, now days I take more control and make arrangements for what my family does. It's much better with more control over your own life.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2023, 8:49 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Nades wrote:

It may be interesting to hear examples of those views.

As a retired chap who was very rarely jobless, I don't think my views have changed much, but there's likely a lot of difference between old-age-retirement and young-age unemployment. My income just turns up in a stable manner with no conditions attached, so there's little anxiety about losing it apart from the likely gradual erosion from inflation, which is only partly compensated for, and it doesn't look likely to shrink too far for comfort in my lifetime. Not do I notice any feelings of uselessness that are said to be common among those who "don't contribute to society." Whether that's because I "feel I've done my bit" or because I'm to a degree still helpful to others, I don't really know.

When I was in work, it was medical science research - I wasn't personally inventing cancer cures but I suppose I was a small but real cog in a mysterious machine that ultimately does exactly that. I know of no way to quantify how many or how few saved lives, prolonged lives, or health improvements I indirectly effected. I didn't much consider the social worth of the job when I started it many years ago - it was much more to do with it being the most efficient and least uncomfortable way I could find to acquire an income. On the rare occasions when I thought about it at all, it was when I noticed all the "non-jobs" that people do, the jobs that have little or no social worth or, rather worse, are more about harming people than helping them. But I didn't dwell on it. I never felt any particular desire to maximise my contribution to society, only to try to do no harm and to stop society (and employers) from harming me.

You're on exactly 10000 posts my man.

I don't really know people well enough to give specific examples but I regularly see extremish (mainly left) political views develop in young people who are long term unemployed. Government seizures of property, impractical views on the economy (sums not adding up with UBI for example), being somewhat tyrannical on progressive social ideology. Over time, envy seems to take over and plays an ever increasing role in political views.

It's hard to find people who works 50+ hour weeks who supports compulsory land seizures but it's very common in long term unemployed youth for example.