Page 7 of 10 [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 11:03 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
That is what "and other things" meant in part. Whether it is "Cultural Marxism" or the censorship element he was basically saying "There is nothing to see there, you are being used, you are a sheep, you are a fool". My original rejoinder was people are scared because there is something to see there.

But the real "something to see there" (increasing political polarization and increasing authoritarian behavior on both sides) and the "cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory are two very different things.

Once again you are completely ignoring the conspiracy theory which is the actual main topic of the video. Why?

Again, for more about the conspiracy theory and its history, please see the relevant Wikipedia article and the relevant Southern Poverty Law Center article.

I'm also baffled as to why you see the video as a personal attack on the average viewer ("you are a sheep, you are a fool") rather than an attack on the credibility of various right wing political leaders and media figures.

Why can not the video be an attack on those creating the theory for political purposes and those that believe the theories?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 11:42 pm

Consider that capital has ALL the POWER and RESOURCES at "its" disposal, and uses it to FOOL the masses... uses it to ensure the masses never truly organize and overthrow their rule. Many times this involves capital dumping resources into inane "culture wars", and tend to target "issues" that are easily packaged into a neat distraction. PLEASE stop falling for their obvious ploys. You KNOW the truth of things, so go with that, and not with what the MSM tells you.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 12:09 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Why can not the video be an attack on those creating the theory for political purposes and those that believe the theories?

Do you think the average American has a strong enough belief in the "Cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory to feel insulted by a video debunking it?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 1:09 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
Consider that capital has ALL the POWER and RESOURCES at "its" disposal,

Certainly MOST of the power and resources, but not quite "ALL."

mrpieceofwork wrote:
and uses it to FOOL the masses... uses it to ensure the masses never truly organize and overthrow their rule. Many times this involves capital dumping resources into inane "culture wars", and tend to target "issues" that are easily packaged into a neat distraction. PLEASE stop falling for their obvious ploys. You KNOW the truth of things, so go with that, and not with what the MSM tells you.

Yes, it is certainly convenient for the ruling class that the working class is divided over "culture wars." But it is a vast oversimplification to claim that "culture war" issues were created solely by "capital," for the purpose of being a "distraction."

Yes, the religious right wing was indeed built in a largely top-down fashion, by celebrity evangelists such as Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, together with Republican operatives such as Paul Weyrich.

On the other hand, the social movements that the religious right wing fights against, e.g. the LGBTQ+ rights movement and the atheist/humanist movement, originated as (and to a large extent still are) genuine grassroots movements of people fighting for their own freedoms. While the LGBTQ+ rights movement eventually got endorsed by various celebrities, corporations, etc., that's certainly not how it started. It took many decades to get those endorsements. I know this not just from the "mainstream media" but from direct experience of personal involvement in the LGBTQ+ rights movement at various times in my life.

Even on the Right, it's an oversimplification to say that the aim was merely to create a "distraction," although that is indeed one of its effects. Paul Weyrich's aim, for example, was to find ways to persuade religious conservatives to vote Republican.

One reason why the traditional Left (focused on the well-being of the working class) is so weak here in the U.S.A. is that various leftist-inspired reforms during the first half of the 20th century, such as the New Deal, succeeded in "saving capitalism from itself." In the 1950's and 1960's, the U.S.A. became the most prosperous society in all of recorded history, with the largest middle class in all of recorded history -- and with very high taxes on the rich. It was easy for most white working-class men to achieve a decent life just by being willing to work -- especially if they also had veterans' benefits, which many of them had after World War II. Hence the traditional Left, concerned with workers' rights and well-being, just did not have much appeal to them.

Things were not quite so easy for Black people; hence the rise of the Black civil rights movement. The partial successes of the Black civil rights movement inspired the rise of similar movements for various other marginalized groups.

Meanwhile, for many young white men here in the U.S.A, the most urgent issue back in the 1960's was ending the Vietnam War, into which many young men were being drafted.

For the past several decades, ever since the 1970's, the middle class has been shrinking and class divisions have been growing. The very process of finding a job has gotten much harder and more complicated, and most of the jobs pay much less (in real wages). So the concerns of the traditional Left are clearly important again, but it is now difficult for traditional leftist concerns to be heard, for various reasons, one of which is that it is being drowned out by all the "culture war" noise.

A thriving traditional Left did exist at other times in U.S. history, most recently in the 1930's and 1940's.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 6:26 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Do you think the average American has a strong enough belief in the "Cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory to feel insulted by a video debunking it?

Is the average American even watching videos debunking "Cultural Marxism"? Probably not. But "right-leaning" people are watching and reading plenty of progressives if not saying directly "conservatives" are dumb sheep, implying it as I feel the youtuber is doing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 6:54 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Is the average American even watching videos debunking "Cultural Marxism"? Probably not. But "right-leaning" people are watching and reading plenty of progressives if not saying directly "conservatives" are dumb sheep, implying it as I feel the youtuber is doing.

The American population (at least the majority) have been primed since the 1940s to associate any progressive movements with international communism. 80 years is sufficient time to have multigenerational indoctrination.

I was watching a documentary on the Rosedale riots of the late 1970s where as late as 1979 where "progressive" New Yorkers grouped together to protest and riot against integrated housing. The documentary maker made it clear that New York's reputation as progressive today is a lie. Several hundred NY College students who protested against the Vietnam war, or for women's rights, civil rights or gay rights hides the fact that the vast majority of New Yorkers don't necessarily buy into progressivism,

Another lie perpetuated by the Republicans is that democrat voters are left leaning. As in Australia people can be economic progressives in terms of getting free stuff (free healthcare, subsidised education etc) but remain social conservatives,

I'm guessing if democrat voters prefer economic policies of the democrat party > social policies they will still vote the democrat party into government. But that doesn't mean the same democrat voters buy into integrating with marginalised groups or having to compete on an equal playing field for housing, schools, jobs or university places with marginalised groups and/or immigrants.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 7:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

The American population (at least the majority) have been primed since the 1940s to associate any progressive movements with international communism. 80 years is sufficient time to have multigenerational indoctrination.

I was watching a documentary on the Rosedale riots of the late 1970s where as late as 1979 where "progressive" New Yorkers grouped together to protest and riot against integrated housing. The documentary maker made it clear that New York's reputation as progressive today is a lie. Several hundred NY College students who protested against the Vietnam war, or for women's rights, civil rights or gay rights hides the fact that the vast majority of New Yorkers don't necessarily buy into progressivism,

Another lie perpetuated by the Republicans is that democrat voters are left leaning. As in Australia people can be economic progressives in terms of getting free stuff (free healthcare, subsidised education etc) but remain social conservatives,

I'm guessing if democrat voters prefer economic policies of the democrat party > social policies they will still vote the democrat party into government. But that doesn't mean the same democrat voters buy into integrating with marginalised groups or having to compete on an equal playing field for housing, schools, jobs or university places with marginalised groups and/or immigrants.

The North has been more segregated than the south for decades. In my high school if a white guy and a black guy had a few words the whole school tense up and sometimes there would be a mass brawl. One day my dad invited a black colleague home for lunch. I was really worried somebody would firebomb our house. This is the same era.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 7:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The North has been more segregated than the south for decades. In my high school if a white guy and a black guy had a few words the whole school tense up and sometimes there would be a mass brawl. One day my dad invited a black colleague home for lunch. I was really worried somebody would firebomb our house. This is the same era.

The filmmaker for the Rosedale riots said the actions of New York home owners as recently as 1979 is the type of thing kept out of school books (under the guise of CRT) for a reason. They literally firebombed and used pipe bombs against black families with small children. Gangs of youths terrorised little black kids on their bikes who dared venture out of their homes. I find it interesting that these terrorist acts against innocent people happened 20 years before 9-11 by the same people who (ironically) became victims themselves. Not a long time ago? these people must living be all over NY by now.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 10:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Is the average American even watching videos debunking "Cultural Marxism"?

Probably not, but we were talking about a video debunking the "Cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory -- and, once again, you're still ignoring the conspiracy theory and its history.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 27 May 2023, 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 10:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Yikes! That's awful.

Luckily my high school, the Bronx High School of Science, was relatively free of that kind of crap. I very briefly (for about a month or so) had a Black boyfriend. I didn't get any flak for this (or at least no flak that I was aware of), but the relationship ended when he converted to a Black nationalist Muslim sect similar to the Nation of Islam and therefore had to break up with me.

But I do know that there was still quite a bit of overt anti-Black racism in Rosedale in the late 1980's and early 1990's, when my parents lived there for several years. When my father had a stroke in around 1990 or 1991, he received care from a Black home health aide, who told my mother that she was being harassed by some people in the neighborhood. Also, when my parents were about to move out and the landlord was showing the apartment to prospective new tenants, my mother overheard the landlord tell a Black couple that he had already found a new renter, when in fact that was not yet the case.

P.S.: Here is the video Cyberdad mentioned, about the Rosedale riot, and here is the original Bill Moyers documentary and more info about both videos.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 2:00 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

If you watch the neighbourhood children surround the little black girls in the video and threaten them just remember those same vile kids are probably upstanding members of the local community today.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 2:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
If you watch the neighbourhood children surround the little black girls in the video and threaten them just remember those same vile kids are probably upstanding members of the local community today.

Probably not, actually. Rosedale is no longer predominantly white.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 2:54 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Probably not, actually. Rosedale is no longer predominantly white.

White flight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 4:13 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Yikes! That's awful.

Luckily my high school, the Bronx High School of Science, was relatively free of that kind of crap. I very briefly (for about a month or so) had a Black boyfriend. I didn't get any flak for this (or at least no flak that I was aware of), but the relationship ended when he converted to a Black nationalist Muslim sect similar to the Nation of Islam and therefore had to break up with me.

But I do know that there was still quite a bit of overt anti-Black racism in Rosedale in the late 1980's and early 1990's, when my parents lived there for several years. When my father had a stroke in around 1990 or 1991, he received care from a Black home health aide, who told my mother that she was being harassed by some people in the neighborhood. Also, when my parents were about to move out and the landlord was showing the apartment to prospective new tenants, my mother overheard the landlord tell a Black couple that he had already found a new renter, when in fact that was not yet the case.

P.S.: Here is the video Cyberdad mentioned, about the Rosedale riot, and here is the original Bill Moyers documentary and more info about both videos.

The Archie Bunker character was not invented out of thin air. I don't remember Rosedale but I remember violent resistance to blacks being bused to Canarsie and the building low income housing in Forest Hills, and Boston was in the national news a lot. There was always some racial brawl in NYC and Long Island High Schools in the news. During the 80s Back in New York we had the Howard Beach and Bensonhurst lynchings. I remember when the Rodney King Riots happened I was working in Queens at the time and there were rumors that blacks were sacking Grand Central Station and Forest Hills and everybody believed it. The owners insisted on driving me home. Nothing more than a few incidents happened that day in New York.

I did watch the full Bill Moyers video. ROAR seemed to be an offshoot of the Boston organization. I don't remember any organization like that and protests in my neighborhood but the sentiments expressed are very familiar to me. Even though my neighborhood was in Nassau County it was much more like Rosedale than the wealthy Nassau County enclaves shown in the documentary.

Racial steering is still the norm on Long Island.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 27 May 2023, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 4:26 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

It's worth watching the nice middle aged white ladies and children shouting slurs at people protesting the attempted killing of the Spencer family using a pipe bomb.

These aren't hillbillies from the south. They are Italian, Irish and Jewish families who are praising terrorism. These same human garbage would be crying victims 20 years later when two planes flew into the NY twin towers in 2001.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 4:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

It's worth watching the nice middle aged white ladies and children shouting slurs at people protesting the attempted killing of the Spencer family using a pipe bomb.

These aren't hillbillies from the south. They are Italian, Irish and Jewish families who are praising terrorism. These same human garbage would be crying victims 20 years later when two planes flew into the NY twin towers in 2001.

Unless they were first responders the lower middle-class people documented would not have been working in the Towers

The Irish Republican Army was basically financed by sympathetic Irish Americans.