10 Reasons Why Young Earth Creationism is Impossible

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 7:54 pm

And, a little more depth on the heat problem:

Some of these also apply to old earth creationism but perhaps that can get a thread of it's own.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 8:17 pm

I think it's ok to see World Creation stories of any religion as beautiful metaphors as long as we accept science.

I'm a big fan of the Japanese tale of the creator Gods Izanami and Izanagi myself. It's beautiful but sad and serves to remind us that we are all destined for the sadness of death and that we should try to live a good long and pure life for as much as we can.

That's what I admire about Japan's shinto faith. They didn't have any delusions of a great salvation after death. Death was just death to them no matter how good or evil you are in life.

https://youtu.be/MEqgg9uuqfY?si=wIvsFp0dRdy5UadG

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 8:22 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I think it's ok to see World Creation stories of any religion as beautiful metaphors as long as we accept science.

Absolutely. Myths shouldn't be treated as more than metaphors. When someone wants their myth taught as science, they open their myth up to being subjected to the same rigorous standards as science, which doesn't go well for myths.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 8:37 pm

I grew up with the notion that the Earth “may have been here for millions of years,” but people were only here for 6,000ish.

Absurd.

Given the vast amounts of evidence a person has to deny to believe this stuff, it seems comparable to a conspiracy theory.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 10:16 pm

Creationism is not a scientific alternative to natural selection any more than the stork theory is an alternative to sexual reproduction.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 10:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
Creationism is not a scientific alternative to natural selection any more than the stork theory is an alternative to sexual reproduction.

Agreed, and young earth creationism is an especially flawed flavour of creationism.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 10:39 pm

I don't see the reason,。but creationism in general is such a thing like what u say

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 10:40 pm

belijojo wrote:
I don't see the reason,。but creationism in general is such a thing like what u say

YEC has several additional problems, largely as a result of rejecting more science like the age of the earth.

If creationists claim a long enough timeline issues like the heat problem aren't really as relevant.

Although I feel like the only credible 'creationist' position is to claim evolution is the tool that their creator used while not attempting to reject any of the science.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 10:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
belijojo wrote:

YEC has several additional problems, largely as a result of rejecting more science like the age of the earth.

If creationists claim a long enough timeline issues like the heat problem aren't really as relevant.

Although I feel like the only credible 'creationist' position is to claim evolution is the tool that their creator used while not attempting to reject any of the science.

YEC,Makes sense

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 9:56 am

Creation occurred in 4000 BC.

But it all go undone with Noah's Flood at around 2300 BC.

So all humans and animals are descended from the passengers of the Ark of only 4000 years ago (not even 6000 years ago).

A certain young man on WP used argue passionately for YEC and he implied humans migrated from the Ark...and took all of the animals with them.

I pointed out that "Australian Abos dont look much like Middle Eastern folks who live near Mt. Ararat in Turkey". He said I was being silly and said he assumed it was obvious that humans 'changed gradually over time' as they migrated outward. There is a word "gradual change over time" its "evolution". So YECs actually rely on evolution to try to debunk evolution (though they are not upfront about it).

This person also implied the humans took all of the animals with them. I asked him why the folks who migrated to Australia took ...Australian death adders, redback spiders, and inland taipans, with them (as cuddly pets?), but didnt think to bring...horses, cattle, and sheep with them to Australia. He didnt really have an answer.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 1:39 am

Sometimes the YECs turn on their own! Lol!
In this case Ken Haim ends up contradicting his own "Ark Encounter" in his quest...to keep his fellow YECs in line with his party line.

https://youtu.be/eqjRPo9fIjo

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 1:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Sometimes the YECs turn on their own! Lol!
In this case Ken Haim ends up contradicting his own "Ark Encounter" in his quest...to keep his fellow YECs in line with his party line.

https://youtu.be/eqjRPo9fIjo

I guess we should look at the silver lining and be glad there's at least room for debate within creation "science".