Page 2 of 22 [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

26 Aug 2007, 2:20 pm

I think a Time Lord would beat out both of you.

^_^

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 2:34 pm

In another forum I sometimes frequent, they have a few hard-and-fast stickied rules, that seem to work:

Quote:
  • No Flamebaiting
    Do not make obvious flamebait posts. This means that if you create a thread that consists of nothing more than, "Bush is Satan!" or make a reply stating that, "all Frenchies are horrible bastards!" you will probably be banned. This is not the place.
  • No Derailing
    Along with the previous rule, the most important rule here in Party System. Keep it on topic. If the thread is about the pledge of allegiance, don't mention how you hate Bush and think that the Iraq war was unjustified - that's off topic. More regarding this at the bottom of this post.
  • Explain Yourself
    Explanation is the difference between flamebait and argumentation. You can have the most unpopular and reviled opinion in the entire world, and as long as you can provide explanation and logic for why you think the way you do, it'll be okay by me. Don't just throw your sentiments out there without any reasons behind them. If you do so, you're just begging for flames, and will be banned accordingly.

In other words, anyone who comes into a thread just to say "All you Christians are insane" or "There is no God," something entirely off-topic and without any supporting arguments, gets a ban. No questions asked. Usually a temp ban of one to three days, and a permanent ban if they keep it up. And the moderators are pretty swift about acting on violations.

18:33. Press 'Return'

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 2:37 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
I think a Time Lord would beat out both of you.

^_^

O RLY

JonnyBGoode, I have posted something relevant to the discussion, on the pages before.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 2:44 pm

What... the part about you being a Duke? :lol:

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

26 Aug 2007, 2:44 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
In another forum I sometimes frequent, they have a few hard-and-fast stickied rules, that seem to work:

Quote:
  • No Flamebaiting
    Do not make obvious flamebait posts. This means that if you create a thread that consists of nothing more than, "Bush is Satan!" or make a reply stating that, "all Frenchies are horrible bastards!" you will probably be banned. This is not the place.
  • No Derailing
    Along with the previous rule, the most important rule here in Party System. Keep it on topic. If the thread is about the pledge of allegiance, don't mention how you hate Bush and think that the Iraq war was unjustified - that's off topic. More regarding this at the bottom of this post.
  • Explain Yourself
    Explanation is the difference between flamebait and argumentation. You can have the most unpopular and reviled opinion in the entire world, and as long as you can provide explanation and logic for why you think the way you do, it'll be okay by me. Don't just throw your sentiments out there without any reasons behind them. If you do so, you're just begging for flames, and will be banned accordingly.

In other words, anyone who comes into a thread just to say "All you Christians are insane" or "There is no God," something entirely off-topic and without any supporting arguments, gets a ban. No questions asked. Usually a temp ban of one to three days, and a permanent ban if they keep it up. And the moderators are pretty swift about acting on violations.

I think that sounds excellent.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 2:45 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:

Quote:
  • No Flamebaiting
  • No Derailing
  • Explain Yourself

I like all but the middle rule, I think it's natural and acceptable for a threads subject to change over time.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 2:57 pm

i'm strongly against a ceasefire. if we give up now, it'll be like vietnam where the infrastructure will collapse upon itself.

we cannot give up now. we must stay the course and keep the fight going. if we don't, the christians win.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 3:05 pm

skafather84 wrote:
i'm strongly against a ceasefire. if we give up now, it'll be like vietnam where the infrastructure will collapse upon itself.

we cannot give up now. we must stay the course and keep the fight going. if we don't, the christians win.

Nobody wins a war.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 3:07 pm

I wonder where all of this originated, I think I know.

I suppose we are actually going to stop? and I had a couple of questions to make, but there will be always bashing I guess.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 3:10 pm

greenblue wrote:

I suppose we are actually going to stop? and I had a couple of questions to make, but there will be always bashing I guess.

I have it down to a few things.

1. Departure of AwesomelyGlourious and Jimservo

2. Recent spike memebership by religious person/posting spike

3. The 100 page homosexuality thread

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 3:15 pm

Flagg wrote:
greenblue wrote:

Mostly that one.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 3:18 pm

greenblue wrote:
Flagg wrote:
greenblue wrote:

Mostly that one.

I think number one is most reponsible.

Those two kept the place in balance by posting lots of politically smart threads and debating well.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 3:24 pm

Flagg wrote:
I like all but the middle rule, I think it's natural and acceptable for a threads subject to change over time.

Well they do go on to define that a bit, saying that "soft" derails are ok, especially if they get spun off into a new thread, but hard derails are verboten.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

They were moderators for this forum?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

Flagg wrote:

Those two kept the place in balance by posting lots of politically smart threads and debating well.

Apparently I missed this.

Can you say what happened?

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2007, 3:28 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Apparently I missed this.

Can you say what happened?

AwesomelyGlourious and JimServo were two of the smartest people we had. They were good level headed debators and made a lot of good topics. Set the example for the PPR.