Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ShellyShine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Aug 2007, 10:40 am

I dont really understand how becoming a heroin junkie or PS2 addict is anyfing to do with environmentalism or industrialisation of the communities and so forth.

Sylvius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2007, 1:06 pm

rideforever wrote:
AG : well I suppose we could all live matrix style in vats and have nutrient chemicals pumped in intravenously. Would you be happy with this ?

Sure. And so might you. The best thing abotu the "brain in a jar" problem is that you can't tell if you're a brain in a jar.

AW
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2010, 11:46 pm

Going "Green" has turned into a government money spinner!! ! It used to have purpose...

Read about shallow and deep ecology, and u'll discover your values- hopefully!! !! !

Quote:
I heard the planet can support 2 Billion, let' say that it's 4 Billion (why not !) ... we still need to lose weight. It's a bit of a bugger but hey .... that's life.

Nope, if we want a life of quality, with all species and natural resources, 100 million is our maximum. Tough!! !! I don't mean this can be easily achieved however, it's a matter of time.

Quote:
The market is not free and unlikely to become so before we all die. Also wealthier=healthier only if you think healthier=wealthier. Judging by the mental state of most monkeys on the planet, we have a major problem.

Haahahahaaaa so true, but funny :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 5:36 am

Chuchulainn wrote:
I think we'd be happier if we all read books, drank tea, went to operas, and rode around on horses and carriages.

You would not want to walk on the streets if there were a lot of horses about.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 6:56 pm

Quote:
if we want a life of quality, with all species and natural resources, 100 million is our maximum. Tough!! !! I don't mean this can be easily achieved however, it's a matter of time.

Oy, Thomas Malthus. Has anyone read Caves Of Steel by Isaac Asimov?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 7:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Chuchulainn wrote:
I think we'd be happier if we all read books, drank tea, went to operas, and rode around on horses and carriages.

You would not want to walk on the streets if there were a lot of horses about.

ruveyn

That's what buckets, shovels and sidewalks are for.