Page 5 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Does the Bible present a flat earth? Think carefully...
Yes, but I haven't read it 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Yes and I have read it 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
No, but I haven't read it 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
No and I have read it 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 12

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 7:48 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The_Chosen_One wrote:
But the bible is never read from cover to cover anyway. Every Christian I know picks and chooses which passages to read and follow at any one time, and they have told me that they have to do it that way to get the true MEANING (if there is one) of God's word. I told them it would be simpler to read it cover-to-cover, but they said the 'word' wasn't written that way, you are meant to search for it. So quoting small passages is done quite regularly, and the context is not lost. You may have been taught differently, but I was told if I read the bible like a normal book, I would not get the meaning, because it wouldn't make sense. That's one reason I gave Christianity the arse in the first place.

Your statement is false. I have read it cover to cover. Genesis through Revelation. Have you? Has anyone besides me? On the ACT and GED I was in the 99th percentile in reading comprehesion, I doubt very much any of you are from what I've been reading here.

I read the entire Bible, and it contraticts itself over and over, I have lost count of the RE lessons where we did evidence for and evidence against. A high comprehension score shows an ability to write an essay and concur with a mark scheme, not neccesarily evidence for geninuine understanding.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 7:51 pm

The_Chosen_One wrote:
iamnotaparakeet: The have things called 'bible studies' here, and in those studies they read and discuss passages from the bible. Being in the 99th percentile in reading means Jack-sh** when it comes to understanding code and meaning, which is how the bible was written and put together. AND these studies are based on the Pentacostal Assemblies of God religion, which is American in origin. So it is false to prsume that reading the bible from cover to cover gives you the full meaning, when it's supposed to be God's word you are searching for. Also, they use a 'concordance' to get the relevance out of each passage as well.

Words from people who read things out of context are worthless and so are the Bible studies you speak of. I don't care where the authors are from, geographic location has no bearing on the value of an idea.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 7:54 pm

Hadron wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The_Chosen_One wrote:
But the bible is never read from cover to cover anyway. Every Christian I know picks and chooses which passages to read and follow at any one time, and they have told me that they have to do it that way to get the true MEANING (if there is one) of God's word. I told them it would be simpler to read it cover-to-cover, but they said the 'word' wasn't written that way, you are meant to search for it. So quoting small passages is done quite regularly, and the context is not lost. You may have been taught differently, but I was told if I read the bible like a normal book, I would not get the meaning, because it wouldn't make sense. That's one reason I gave Christianity the arse in the first place.

Your statement is false. I have read it cover to cover. Genesis through Revelation. Have you? Has anyone besides me? On the ACT and GED I was in the 99th percentile in reading comprehesion, I doubt very much any of you are from what I've been reading here.

I read the entire Bible, and it contraticts itself over and over, I have lost count of the RE lessons where we did evidence for and evidence against. A high comprehension score shows an ability to write an essay and concur with a mark scheme, not neccesarily evidence for geninuine understanding.

I got 76th percentile on the essay, I stink at writing and that wasn't what the test measured.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 7:57 pm

Which proves my point too, because if you aren't willing to search for the 'word' that your God is giving you, then the book may as well be a doorstop.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 8:00 pm

What on earth are you talking about? Have you not read, "I have hid thy Word in my heart that I may not sin against Thee" or is that one that you missed out on from you skip reading, hunt and peck method of misquoting?

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 8:14 pm

My parents are from the AOG, and thus read the bible that way in those studies. I asked them about reading cover to cover and they said the Lord gives them passages to read and quote which have MEANING, and therefore must be followed. Some people take more than 10 years to completely read the bible, and some more than 30. Matter of fact, there are people who have been 'studying' it for more than 50 years looking for the 'word'. If it was as easy as reading it from cover-to-cover to get the word of God, why would everyone from the AOG to the Pope who is head of the RC church in Rome be wasting their time? If I actually bothered, I could have it finished in maybe a month; but because I don't follow Christianity myself, means that I am not ever likely to. Why would I waste my time searching for something that to me doesn't exist?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 8:21 pm

It really helps in your search if you have read it and know where to look. It took me two years to read the NIV study Bible and I'm now reading from the Holman CSB and in the middle of the book of Job. Everyone studies books in different ways, but I've always found the hunt-n-peck method to be the worst one.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 8:25 pm

Who would like to discuss the links presented in the first post of this thread?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:05 pm

I think the reason no-one has really discussed those particular links is that they are all from a biased point of view, and thus are very subjective. To put forward a biased point of view, and telling peole to discuss, KNOWING that any debate against your point is not reasonable. For a debate to work, both sids of the argument must be acknowledged, and whether people agree or disagree, you cannot then say 'don't care what you say, I'm right anyway'. Just doesn't make sense.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:14 pm

Your side certainly seems to not care about what my side thinks and those links are from a plain-interpretation Biblical point of view. I am not going to agree that only secular opinions are right because they're just as bias as ones held by people who believe the Bible. Who is going to discuss the argument presented from a Biblical point of view which are in the links?

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:19 pm

Only you, Ragtime and JohnnyBGoode, obviously, because that would give you the argument you want. Everyone else here would try to give you an opposing point of view to yours from what they would know, but you would dismiss it because it doesn't agree with your entrenched viewpoint. Why then bother to have a discussion at all? Seems as pointless an objective as trying to raise the Titanic.

Last edited by The_Chosen_One on 28 Aug 2007, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:19 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The_Chosen_One wrote:

Your statement is false. I have read it cover to cover. Genesis through Revelation. Have you? Has anyone besides me?

Oh, indeed. I have, and I know many others who also have. Actually, my grandfather read it more than 60 times, straight through. He also started his own small Bible college.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:28 pm

Ragtime wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The_Chosen_One wrote:

Your statement is false. I have read it cover to cover. Genesis through Revelation. Have you? Has anyone besides me?

Oh, indeed. I have, and I know many others who also have. Actually, my grandfather read it more than 60 times, straight through. He also started his own small Bible college.

That's amazing, I've only read it 1.5 times. Hadron says he's found many contradictions. I hadn't noticed any. Had your grandfather noticed and "contradictions"?

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:29 pm

But did he get the meaning as he was meant to? Or did you? Ever notice in church that they say 'and now we will read from such-and-such', meaning that if it were supposed to be from Genesis to Revelation, those that only go to church in fits and starts would never get the passages they were meant to. At least those that go to church and study it in meetings (prayer groups for eg) get what is given then via the Lord's teaching, which comes from the Priest of Minister. Even though I'm pagan, I know enough about what is said by all the Christians I know personally to be able to work out how it all works.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2007, 9:37 pm

If you're not willing to read a text - any text - the way it was supposed to be written, it really doesn't do any good to read it at all. You (the "other side") give us verses, lifted out of the context they were meant to be in, and say "aha! you silly christian-types! Look at how silly this stuff is!" Then we calmly show you how it makes perfect sense if you put it back into the context of the whole.

One thing you might keep in mind, if you do decide to read the Bible (and no, I don't recommend reading it from cover to cover, not at first... perhaps the New Testament but certainly not the Old, or you'll get bogged down and bored in by the 3rd book) is that it is divided into two sections: The Old Testament and the New Testament.

Or more precisely, the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. (A covenant is like a contract or a treaty.)

So basically what we're talking about is the old contract with God, or the old way of his dealing with us, and the new contract. While the basic principles of the Old are still in play (God hasn't changed, sins are still sins), his way of dealing with us has (no longer by laborious keeping of strict laws, but out of love through faith).

Paul explains that to a Christian, the Old Covenant is now our "schoolteacher." While it is no longer legally binding, it is still morally binding - it teaches us what God's standards are, that we might strive to live up to them. But it also makes it clear that no one ever can live up to them on his own, which is why we are now saved through our faith rather than our works.

18:33. Press 'Return'

Last edited by JonnyBGoode on 28 Aug 2007, 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.