Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

02 Sep 2007, 6:10 pm

The_Chosen_One wrote:
Either the Da Vinci Code people are right and that is Mary to Jesus right in in the picture, or a very effeminate John, which may say something for the times. Jesus was either i) a very laid back dude, or a hippie, ii) happy (gay if you like) or iii) both. Yes, I think he was a happy hippie who was pretty much a first century John Lennon. And look what happened to John Lennon, too.

I saw some artistic renderings of what Jesus might look like based on real data of people living in the region at the time(presumable tissue reconstruction on skulls).

Which suggest the images created by painters after his death have no relationship to reality.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 6:30 pm

I remember I saw that a while ago, and yes, he was jewish, very likely he looked like that, and nothing like Davinci's paintings or Robert Powell or Jim Caviezel.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 6:39 pm

Sort of looks more like Saddam Hussein in that one than Lennon. That may explain why the Christians have made up the hippie image too... If they see a fellow looking like that in the so-called second coming, they'll run for their lives.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

02 Sep 2007, 6:43 pm

The_Chosen_One wrote:
Sort of looks more like Saddam Hussein in that one than Lennon. That may explain why the Christians have made up the hippie image too... If they see a fellow looking like that in the so-called second coming, they'll run for their lives.

Europeans painted Jesus in their own likeness.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 6:49 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
To read into Bible scripture that Jesus was gay is on the same level of misinterpretation as religious people reading into scripture justification for discrimination aganist gays. Which is equally offensive to a neutral outside observer.

I agree. Plus, there's reasonable evidence that he was
indeed married (the anointment by Mary Magdalene).
But, we're talking about at a time when Greek thought
was coming into some vogue in Iudea, and Christ's
philosophy seems to have embraced some of that
thinking (how much is up to a good deal of debate -
many things might have been added by the godifiers,
and proselytizers), so it's not entirely unreasonable
that he was bi. Would explain his views on love.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 6:50 pm

Sopho wrote:
and all the pictures of him look pretty gay to me.

Those aren't real photos, you know.
Look in your toast, and you shall see the
real Jesus.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 6:52 pm

The_Chosen_One wrote:
Either the Da Vinci Code people are right and that is Mary to Jesus right in in the picture, or a very effeminate John, which may say something for the times.

It ONLY says something about the late medieval era.
BUT, the theory that Jesus had married Magdalene was
kicking around back then.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 12:05 pm

The Wife has mentioned to me in the past and I just asked again. Blue eyes are known for the Galilee area about his time. Not that it really matters, one of her degrees is in Anthro, it's her thing. She's generally right, unless I disagree. :wink:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 7:03 pm

Allegedly, Jesus married Mary Magdalene, however it is unknown if she actually bore him any children.

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 7:47 pm

The_Chosen_One wrote:
Sort of looks more like Saddam Hussein in that one than Lennon.

I thought the exact same thing :lol:.

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2007, 8:11 pm

I think Jesus would look like a big hairy middle eastern guy, not someone you would like to mess with or dare I say would you go up to him and say "you're gay" to his face?

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2007, 2:22 pm

Jesus was a Jew in a hellenized world. I think he was married.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 2:58 pm

:roll:

Great, another thread that's meant to offend Christians.

Of course not, in the same way that he didn't marry Mary Magdelene and go to live in Europe.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 3:16 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
The_Chosen_One wrote:
Either the Da Vinci Code people are right and that is Mary to Jesus right in in the picture, or a very effeminate John, which may say something for the times. Jesus was either i) a very laid back dude, or a hippie, ii) happy (gay if you like) or iii) both. Yes, I think he was a happy hippie who was pretty much a first century John Lennon. And look what happened to John Lennon, too.

I saw some artistic renderings of what Jesus might look like based on real data of people living in the region at the time(presumable tissue reconstruction on skulls).

Which suggest the images created by painters after his death have no relationship to reality.

I had remarked earlier on WP that this image seemed a fairly accurate portrait of the historical Jesus, to me. But, upon asking my scholarly friend about it, he said it's inaccurate in a few ways -- namely, the hair. Jewish men had much longer hair than the picture shows. It was the Greeks and Romans who had the short hair. The "long-haired Jesus" depictions are more accurate.

...Which lends an interesting interpretation of the New Testament verse that says men shouldn't have "long hair". In the cultural perspective of the time, it's clearly not referring to shoulder-length hair as being "long", as that would be normal. Rather, waist-length hair was considered "long" -- the hair length that all women had, and were told to. ... Sorry, just dazed out for a second, picturing a world of long-haired women... ya...

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 3:22 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
The_Chosen_One wrote:

Europeans painted Jesus in their own likeness.

Exactly. I've seen "Jesus"es from all cultures. And guess what? Asian Jesuses are Asian, black African Jesuses are black African, and so on. They couldn't possibly look more ethnically different, yet they are all purported to be the same man.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 3:32 pm

Anubis wrote:
:roll:

Great, another thread that's meant to offend Christians.

The ladies started a bunch of threads the day this was put up, only a couple survived the moreraters. I fully suspect the painting remark I made went zipping over their heads. They sure don't make trolls like they use to. Shame, it's almost becoming a lost art.

It will only offend if we let it. Bottom line as I see it, no one will ever know for sure. So believe what you like. I don't happen to believe he was or it would have been brought out by his critics someplace along the line. My opinion and like I said, it's all opinion at this date. I have gay friends I like just fine, wouldn't treat any body differently on purpose. Including him if he decided for a return visit. :lol: