Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Asha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2007, 1:52 am

I came up with this yesterday. It seems a bit strange and I'm sure I am doing something wrong with logic. (I am not expert in physics or anything, just a high school child). Can anybody see what's going wrong? I posted this here because it seemed more of a philosphy question than a physics one. If I posted this wrong, I don't know how to move it.

Before the universe began, there was no space - therefore no time. But because before indicates a time zone, the can't have been a "before the universe began".
Thus the universe has always existed.

After the universe has ended there will be no more space - no more time. But because after is a word referring to a time sequence and there is no more time, there can't be an "after the universe ends".
Thus the universe can never end.

Conclusion: As long as the universe exists it has always existed. But as soon as it has ended, or has not started, it was never there.

:?:

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2007, 1:58 am

Is the universe with in another universe?

So to say there was no time, no space before ours was created, I'm asking how would one even know.

Again I go to my premise. I don't think our puny brains can really comprehend the ultimate questions, let alone answers.

I'm not saying it isn't fun to try. :wink:

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2007, 8:10 am

the problem as i see it is that your using the laws of our universe to define a possible field outside of it

but yes if every trace of our universe was erased then there would be no way of telling if it ever existed

although i may have misunderstood you

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 9:19 am

I think this whole "start of the universe" thing has got blown out of proportion, mostly because of a couple of unsaid lines.

Previous to the universe as it is now, there was nothing of a state we can comprehend or know

Ergo, the physical universe as it exists within our observation was once something else we cannot understand or investigate. Possibly it obeyed different physical laws. Doesnt matter.

Thus there can be a legitimate beginning and end to the universe. After our universe ends, who knows what might happen?