Page 4 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2005, 5:52 am

Sean wrote:
tallgirl wrote:
Quote:
The Japanese? Nuked 'em. Punishment didn't even fit the crime.

...The genetic implications of nuking those innocent will people will continue to reverberate...

You know what they say, two heads are better than one. :lol:

That is SO not funny... :evil: In fact, its just disgusting.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 7:56 am

Asparval wrote:
Quote:
I've had several snap at me because I was a few minutes late with the order.

You said it yourself ~ they snapped because you were late with their order.

What a lot of comment over a couple of late pizzas.

Racism isn't logical ~ from anyone!

Racism can be logical like the slave trade of Africans was a bit racist but it was logical to trade in slaves because it was big business. Today ethnic minorities are given precidence over white people to join the police in britain because they are seen as underepresented there. A business man from some race or other might look to help and give his work to people of that same race because it will help that community become better off and so they can return the favour and helps his standing in said community. These are all examples of racism being logical.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 9:13 am

Quote:
Racism can be logical like the slave trade of Africans was a bit racist but it was logical to trade in slaves because it was big business. Today ethnic minorities are given precidence over white people to join the police in britain because they are seen as underepresented there. A business man from some race or other might look to help and give his work to people of that same race because it will help that community become better off and so they can return the favour and helps his standing in said community. These are all examples of racism being logical

Sorry, but something doesn't automatically become logical because its is 'big business'.

For the Police to want to recruit a force that represents the whole community it serves is not racist.
It is not logical for a business man to recruit someone purely because they are the same race.

Also, it is misguided of you to assume that business man perceives his community as comprising only those of the same ethnic origin as himself.

Most modern societies are multi-cultural.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 11:24 am

Asparval wrote:

That's true, and so were many others over the course of history if you take "multi-cultural" at face value.

However, modern Western society is unique in the way it gives preferential treatment to foreign cultures over the indigenous ones: that is "multi-cultural" in it's modern context.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 11:40 am

Sean wrote:
Why can't African political leaders and warlords do anything but let their countries slide into poverty, promote courruption, civil war, genocide, and famine by selling off their contries food supplies for their own personal gain?

Because the African continent has got a bigger problem with racism than all of the US and Europe combined! It's black on black tribal racism; not popular with the liberal press.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 12:19 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
If you study African history, however, you'll find that not only was Africa the bedrock of civilization but it was where mathmatics had its origins, at one time, one of the most prestigious institutions of learning was in Timbuktu and contrary to myth, the population was primarily Muslim and morals and education were extremely important to African cultures.

I think the distinction needs to be made between sub-saharan Africa and the generally Muslim North. Wasn't Timbuktu heavily influenced by the latter, as part of a trade route to the South?

Last edited by ascan on 20 Aug 2005, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 12:22 pm

Sophist wrote:
In short, human nature can always be repulsive, and it doesn't matter the skin, the status, or the wealth.

I agree, completely.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 1:12 pm

Asparval wrote:

Sorry, but something doesn't automatically become logical because its is 'big business'.

For the Police to want to recruit a force that represents the whole community it serves is not racist.
It is not logical for a business man to recruit someone purely because they are the same race.

Also, it is misguided of you to assume that business man perceives his community as comprising only those of the same ethnic origin as himself.

I stand by my point. Making money and living a richer lifestyle is logical to most people so it was logical to get involved in the slave trade if morally wrong.

If someone of a different race gets to join the police force over an equally skilled white guy then it is still racism (some people use the term reverse racism) even if it is the right thing to do. Also why is the police not representive of the whole community in which they represent? Could there be recruitment of minorities because the ethnic (and others such as gays) minorities feel alienated about nearly all policemen/women being white and straight? If so is'nt that admitting that race and other features is an issue for lots of people of all colours and genders.

You are being very naive if you dont realise that a lot of people in different ethnic communities give each other business ahead of the indigenous population. That doesnt mean they wont work with the other races in the population. It is human nature and in a lot of peoples subconcious to trust more and feel less threatened by people that act familiar, sound like and look like them. That's why a lot of people here have had so much trouble and rejection because they might act different from the social norm.

Examples of people helping "their community" is not just among people with different coloured skin mind. My Dad is Irish and i am wondering to myself is it a coincidence that he seems to know nearly every Irish person here and gets a lot of work from them? This can affect the indigenous population as well where for instance when the shipyards here were busy and you applied for a job there they would ask what school you went to and if you said "Saint" before the rest of the schools name the employers would realise you were probably a catholic and not hire you because white protestants were the favoured employee. A company thats really large wouldnt get off with that now but descrimination by all races and religions still exist.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 8:46 pm

tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tallgirl wrote:
Quote:

...The genetic implications of nuking those innocent will people will continue to reverberate...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, who neeeds all those lights in major Japaneese cities when you can glow in the dark?
:lol:

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2005, 9:46 pm

Sean wrote:
tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tallgirl wrote:
Quote:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, who neeeds all those lights in major Japaneese cities when you can glow in the dark?

You're disgusting. :evil: :evil: :evil: What would your "love-and-peace promoting" god think?

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 3:17 am

tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tallgirl wrote:
Quote:

You're disgusting. :evil: :evil: :evil: What would your "love-and-peace promoting" god think?

Hey, can you think of a better way for the Japaneese to get those super powers that they write about in their anime and mangas? :lol:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 3:20 am

right - enough.

this is not a joke, please respect WP guidelines. if this continues, i shall have to lock the thread.

Vivi
(as mod)

Yameretzu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2005, 12:58 pm

I know the human race is thought to have come from Africa yet the Uk and China developed, then settlers from the Uk moved to America, so what if they took slaves there, be thankful if your there because your ancestor was taken by slave labour. I know this sounds cruel but lets face it, at the moment you've got a better quality of life in places like America and the Uk, than in places like africa. Ok so the whities moved everywhere, the USA whities can be originated from England and the Austrailians, but it doesn't matter, it's in the past. Live life to the full people, don't argue because people in the past made mistakes, you shouldn't disgrace whites or blacks for this, lets face it, if these things hadn't have happened, then the world would be less cultured and a lot more wars would be happening because of misunderstandings.

In america blacks may be treated differently this I'm not sure of but the fact remains that because the hip hop/rap culture is so big here blacks aren't treated that bad.

It's white men here who get the worst deal in my opinion:

White women can say men are sexist

Black women can say people are sexist or racist

Black men can also call the racism card

The racism card seems to work for any person that isn't white, but if a person is racist to a white it gets less notice.

I'd say yes I do find some black women offensive because of their attitudes but some I am ok with.

I dont really like Asian men but thats because they hang around in gangs a lot in the city centre and tend to follow me.

I find Asian women are generally really nice people and a teacher I have had for science who is Asian teacher is one of the nicest, cleaverest people I have ever met.

I also have a black male friend.

I find that people in England can take racism as a joke, for example a black person or white will call a black person a n****r but not necissarily in offence but in humor, it's the great British humour that other countries I find (and I haven't met everyone so don't pull a wobbly on me) that we have the ability to make fun of ourselves and others and we find it, not offensive, but laughable.

People are also forgetting one simple thing, we all live of the same planet people, we are all of one race called humans, I dont see why were looking to extend the hand of friendship across planets when we can get over 'the slave trade' or other such things. I think this is all in the past and therefore, we can learn from it but theres no point in making a big thing about it because doing so wont change the face that it happened.

Martin Luther King one said 'I have a dream....' well so do I, I have a dream that the past will not be forgotton but we will learn from mistakes made and join together, not calling ourselves whites or blacks but just simple humans. That whites AND blacks can stop being racist (both are nomatter what you say) but live together in an enviroment where no one doesn't fit it.

That we stop living in such a superficial society and insted not care about looks or colour, we are who we are, we may be attracted or get on with some races better than others but that doesn't mean anyone should be on the defensive. Remember beauty comes from within the very soul of each, and the prettiest person may not be the most beautiful inside, instead we need to look beyond skin-deep, (some people who have forgotten this should watch beauty and the beast because of this reason and also the lion king 2 because I believe this reveals racism in a positive light, yes they are disney films, I dont care! They give out important messages that only children seem to know becuase most adults think these films are too 'childish' well no they aren't!)

We shouldn't shun a race just because of a few indevidulas, take each indevidual and get to know them, they may take you by surprize. Many people (especially those who are older) find it harder to trust others because they've had more bad experiances, this shouldn't happen, people every person deserves a chance.

Every person I met I try to be pleasent to, if they are rude I will act acordingly.

Sorry for a long speech but this is my dream. I guess it wont happen in my lifetime though. :(

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2005, 2:28 pm

Sean wrote:
tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tallgirl wrote:
Quote:

Hey, can you think of a better way for the Japaneese to get those super powers that they write about in their anime and mangas? :lol:

*Growls* :evil:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2005, 3:19 pm

tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tallgirl wrote:
Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROFLMAO!

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2005, 6:58 am

Sean wrote:
tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tokaia wrote:
Sean wrote:
tallgirl wrote:
Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROFLMAO!

If you were in front of me, I'd claw you.