Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 4:30 pm

Athiests as a Majority

This is what it would be like, if the majority of people were athiests.
ATHIEST KID: Mom, I'm going to go f**k a hooker.
ATHIEST MOM: Okay, son.
ATHIEST KID: Afterwards, I'm going to go smoke pot with my friends, since it's "not addictive."
ATHIEST MOM: Okay, come home soon!

The athiest kid leaves the room. The father comes home from work several minutes later.

ATHIEST DAD: Hey!
ATHIEST MOM: Hi, honey! I'm pregnant again. I guess I'll just get another abortion, since "fetuses don't count as human life."
ATHIEST DAD: Okay, get as many abortions as you want!
ATHIEST MOM: Oh, and don't go in the bedroom.
ATHIEST DAD: Why not?
ATHIEST MOM: There are two gay men f*****g eachother in there.
ATHIEST DAD: Why are they here?
ATHIEST MOM: I wanted to watch them do it for awhile. They just aren't finished yet.
ATHIEST DAD: Okay, that's fine with me!

Suddenly, their neighbor runs into the house.

ATHIEST NEIGHBOR: Come quick, there's a Christian outside!
ATHIEST MOM: We'll be right there!

The athiest couple quickly put on a pair of black robes and hoods. They then exit the house, and run into the street, where a Christian is nailed to a large, wooden X. He is being burned alive. A crowd of athiests stand around him, all wearing black robes and hoods.

RANDOM ATHIEST: Damn you, Christian! We hate you! We claim to be tolerant of all religions. But we really hate your's! That's because we athiests are hypocritical like that! Die, Christian!

THE END
--------------------

hilarious little fantasy. very accurate portrays the delusion that many fundamentalists have.

actually the only wrong thing i found in the whole schpeil was the killing. well, the son with the hooker could be wrong depending on the son's age and the rest of his social life. if his only interaction with women is hookers, then he has a strongly misaligned view of females more similar to that of religious types who demean and demoralize women rather than respect them as equals.

okay, back to not being here...just thought some of the people here would appreciate it.

RON PAUL 2008!! !!

kitschinator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2008, 6:53 pm

How ridiculous that anyone believes that.

I am agnostic and have extremely firm morals and values that would not change if I became an atheist. Religion is not necessary to cultivate a moral code in societies.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 6:57 pm

Did you find that on Fundies Say The Darndest Things? I love that site!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 7:57 pm

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 8:01 pm

Agnostic myself. I tolerate religion, and realise that some people need religion for strength and inner peace so long as it's a peaceful religion. I am strongly against cults such as Scientology though.

God help us if an Atheist society was like that. :lol:

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 9:08 pm

This makes me feel more upset than amused.

Why can't people just get along? :cry:

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 9:59 pm

IMO religious people that are basically saying that the only thing that keeps them from being sociopathic monsters is fear of eternal damnation are the ones that have morality problems, not us atheists.

Mc_Jeff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2008, 10:33 pm

Wow, I sure am glad to see skafather back. I was getting tired of reasonable, rational discourse and capitalized letters.

< /sarcasm>

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 11:13 pm

I really don't see the issue. What if every atheist were actually active purveyors of evil based upon a judeo-christian point of view? What would it mean? Why would it matter? I don't see why atheists really care to be slaves to a judeo-christian view of morality.

Max Stirner wrote:
Our atheists are pious people.
Perhaps you already call yourself an atheist, but you remain true to the Christian feeling that a camel will sooner go through a needle's eye than a rich man not be an " un-man."

Why is there really all of this concern to maintain a judeo-christian view of morality? Why take all of the pride in claiming that atheists are more selfless than Christians?
Odin wrote:
only thing that keeps them from being sociopathic monsters is fear of eternal damnation

Does selflessness matter? Why should the exaltation or condemnation of the self even matter? Why be a pious atheist and talk about the "bad moral values" of those outside of your group and exalt in the wonder of placing yourself on the cross with the burden of unrewarded goodness? Perhaps I am stepping further with this then you like, but I still don't see the issue of atheists and morality. People who claim not to believe in a deity still explicitly act according to moral codes, and I don't see why they care. Is this some embedded desire to conform? A fear of being different from the herd? I just don't know, I just know I never really took this path.

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2008, 11:41 pm

Quote from the link posted:

"No, everyone is born Christian. Only later in life do people choose to stray from Jesus and worship satan instead. Atheists have the greatest "cover" of all, they insist they believe in no god yet most polls done and the latest research indicates that they are actually a different sect of Muslims."

There's one thing I can say in support of ignorance, it can be good for a laugh.

Baratos
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2008, 11:50 pm

I can tell whoever wrote that has never been to Estonia. Over 70% of the population is atheist, and its one of the nicest places out there to live.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 12:02 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I really don't see the issue. What if every atheist were actually active purveyors of evil based upon a judeo-christian point of view? What would it mean? Why would it matter? I don't see why atheists really care to be slaves to a judeo-christian view of morality.
Max Stirner wrote:
Our atheists are pious people.
Perhaps you already call yourself an atheist, but you remain true to the Christian feeling that a camel will sooner go through a needle's eye than a rich man not be an " un-man."

Why is there really all of this concern to maintain a judeo-christian view of morality? Why take all of the pride in claiming that atheists are more selfless than Christians?
Odin wrote:
only thing that keeps them from being sociopathic monsters is fear of eternal damnation

Does selflessness matter? Why should the exaltation or condemnation of the self even matter? Why be a pious atheist and talk about the "bad moral values" of those outside of your group and exalt in the wonder of placing yourself on the cross with the burden of unrewarded goodness? Perhaps I am stepping further with this then you like, but I still don't see the issue of atheists and morality. People who claim not to believe in a deity still explicitly act according to moral codes, and I don't see why they care. Is this some embedded desire to conform? A fear of being different from the herd? I just don't know, I just know I never really took this path.

"When one gives up the Christian faith, one pulls the right to Christian morality out from under one's feet. This morality is by no means self-evident... By breaking one main concept out of Christianity, the faith in God, one breaks the whole: nothing necessary remains in one's hands."
-Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2008, 12:03 am

Baratos wrote:
I can tell whoever wrote that has never been to Estonia. Over 70% of the population is atheist, and its one of the nicest places out there to live.

Quote by Wiki:
"Religion

According to the most recent Eurobarometer Poll 2005,[47] 16% of Estonian citizens responded that "they believe there is a god", whereas 54% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 26% that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force". This, according to the survey, would have made Estonians the most non-religious people in the then 25-member European Union. Historically, however, Estonia used to be a stronghold of Lutheranism due to its strong links to the Nordic countries."

It seems unlikely that a European country could have a 70% atheist population. Europe does appear to be steering away from theism in many respects, but no quite to that degree.

Mc_Jeff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2008, 12:15 am

A lot of the nicest people I know are agnostics, and I think that may be because the agnostic "faith" is basically an acknowledgement that you don't know. Agnosticism only offends the most fervent of religious types. Atheism often goes hand in hand with arrogance and brattiness (see this forum for example after example), and most athiests tend to be self-righteous and every bit as hypocritical as the religious types they loathe.

If Estonia is 54% agnostic/deist, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a very nice, easy going place to live.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 12:42 am

Some brilliant quotes:

Quote:
I can sum it all up in three words: Evolution is a lie

Quote:
[about a girl being born with mental disabilities]

This girl is like a leper so what she needs to do is try and find god

if she really believes she can be healed from this state, she will be healed from this state

Most afflictions like this are caused by sins committed while still inside the womb. If she can repent for what she does god will embrace her and make her as human as you or me but if she chooses not to she'll always be like this

Quote:
There are a lot of things I have concluded to be wrong, without studying them in-depth. Evolution is one of them. The fact that I don't know that much about it does not bother me in the least.

Quote:
I often debate with evolutionists because I believe that they are narrow mindedly and dogmatically accepting evolution without questioning it. I don't really care how God did what He did. I know He did it.

Quote:
If your original Hebrew disagrees with my original King James --- your original Hebrew is wrong. If your original Hebrew agrees with my original King James, your original Hebrew is right.

Quote:
[Am I in discussion with a human who has a functioning brain?]

What does a functioning brain have to do with the Bible?

Quote:
[One Christian speaking to another]

You are banned. You are not a Christian for Christians don't accuse brothers and sisters in Christ of being non-Christian.

Quote:
Everyone knows scientists insist on using complex terminology to make it harder for True Christians to refute their claims.

Deoxyribonucleic Acid, for example... sounds impressive, right? But have you ever seen what happens if you put something in acid? It dissolves! If we had all this acid in our cells, we'd all dissolve! So much for the Theory of Evolution, Check MATE!

Quote:

Apes are just creatures twisted by Satan to mock Jesus by giving EVILolition credibility. Further more they are naturally lust crazed for human women. Since they are not natural creatures they should be exterminated forthwith as the tools of evil they are.

Quote:
all the evolutionists, tell me something. i know how the big bang "has happened, but tell me, wouldnt an explosion, especially one that size, take away life instead of allow it? think about it.

ex: the a-bomb, the h-bomb, grenades, cannon balls (when fired from a cannon of course), mines, rocket launchers, and anything and everything in between. they all have taken lives.

Quote:
[Rape in the Bible]

Women are naturally weak, they are more open to sin, then men are.

The rapes happened in the bible yes they happened and were recorded , why to teach us a lesson, have you not heard of parables, in the Bible, these happend to teach us women not to bare are flesh or to lust.

(So you worship a Pro-Rape God with sadistic personality disorder?)

God allows it to happen, in the hope that it would teach us and strengthen are faith.

It happens, but most female rape victims often bring it on themselves.

(What a unbelievable statement! Are you for real? Please be a troll.)

a troll? yes i am being real.

God is not sadistic, he allows it for are sake, so we could learn.

(So God is Satan? I'm Confused.)

Quote:
There is not a single passage or concept in the Bible that would be offensive to any human on the planet.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2008, 12:56 am

Mc_Jeff wrote:
Atheism often goes hand in hand with arrogance and brattiness (see this forum for example after example), and most athiests tend to be self-righteous and every bit as hypocritical as the religious types they loathe.

This is a major generalisation. The hostility you see from atheists on this thread isn't because they are like "religious types" as you describe them, but because we get sick and tired of misconception after misconception. Some respond with anger, others just realise that there's nothing that can be done about it and laugh it off.

One of the classic arguments I see from fundamentalist theists is to try and put atheism in the same basket they are in. I can understand why people might have this perception about 'strong' atheists, but I don't believe it's accurate in many respects. I think you'll find that a great number of atheists are prepared to tolerate and even accept theists, so long as they are paid the same courtesy. While I can't speak for all, I know this is true of me.