Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2008, 8:20 pm

I was wondering why people on this site are so hostile to Christians. It seems to have LOTS of negativity towards them.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 8:24 pm

I would say that part of it is because it is an internet site and the internet has more people who are non-religious or anti-religious or differently religious than the average populace. Another part of this is probably because it is an AS site as well, as I would imagine that AS individuals are more likely to have oppositional attitudes towards traditional authorities such as Christianity.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 8:30 pm

Debate and the exchanging of ideas easily becomes hostile when a topic such as religion is involved. People cling to their beliefs and assume the other is trying to have them substituted, even if they are not.

I'm agnostic, btw.

Last edited by SilverProteus on 02 Mar 2008, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 8:35 pm

I imagine there is some element of prejudice/discrimination involved too. Prejudice and discrimination don't just apply to race but they cover religion too. All people, religious or not, attack people that have different beliefs. The truth is that people believe differently than others and there is no reason to attack someone just because they have different beliefs.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Mar 2008, 8:43 pm

rocklobster wrote:
I was wondering why people on this site are so hostile to Christians. It seems to have LOTS of negativity towards them.
because christains knock at my door, and thier bible condems me to hell if i dont convert

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Mar 2008, 8:47 pm

I dont think there is any significant hostility amongst aspies for christians.. just an opinionated few. If there is a thread about christians then it is to be a debate but dont take that as hostility. Sometimes the best way to learn about something is to challenge it and I find that especially true about something like religion.

I like christians, they are welcoming when I talk to them in chats and theres a lot of christian chats. But I cant beleive in what they do because the whole point of it seems to be to believe in something without any proof but just your own faith.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 8:59 pm

I haven't noticed any.

I'm a Christian, though only born the first time. :D

I'm not much for practicing.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 9:27 pm

There is some hostility as here is there is all across the world. I think some of the hostility comes from religion being forced down people's throats. It wasn't forced down my throat, I accepted Christ as my savior because I realized on my own what he had done for me and I am grateful for it and proud to admit it. I'm not the model Christian though, it is not possible for anyone to be such. I do try to follow the bible the best I can but I live my life the way I want to. I think people would be less hostile towards religion if it wasn't forced on them so much.

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2008, 10:05 pm

I don't see that much hostility here really. Ive posted to some of the religious threads and on the side of being a Christian to boot. there were a few nasty posts that were very anti-religious. but there were no personal attacks which I have to admit is refreshing. WP has to be one of the most tolerant places Ive ever joined online so far.

Most of the time if anyone even mentions God online he gets the crap kicked out of him by 15 atheists and either banned or just ignored from then on, and certainly thought of as an idiot who's opinion means nothing since he is dumb enough to believe in god.

here I haven't seen that sort of thing thankfully.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 10:13 pm

richardbenson wrote:
because christains knock at my door, and thier bible condems me to hell if i dont convert

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 10:30 pm

Could it be, that many here may feel god failed them when they want and need a love life or friendship so badly?

That much of their social problems stem from something genetic they can hardly change?

Or perhaps,

Many do not like being told, do or burn, thats not an option,
most do not nor will not submit to terrorism.

Or perhaps,

There is simply no prof of existence,
many of are science based.

Or Perhaps,

Many here just have their own faith and do not like it debated or challenged.

Or Perhaps,

what ever.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 10:33 pm

aspergian_mutant wrote:
Could it be, that many here may feel god failed them when they want and need a love life or friendship so badly?

That much of their social problems stem from something genetic they can hardly change?

Or perhaps,

Many do not like being told, do or burn, thats not an option,
most do not nor will not submit to terrorism.

Or perhaps,

There is simply no prof of existence,
many of are science based.

Or Perhaps,

Many here just have their own faith and do not like it debated or challenged.

Or Perhaps,

what ever.
That too.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 1:16 am

My opinion is this...

You will find more Christians posting on the internet in typically non-religious sites, while declaring their Christianity.
This exposure brings them and their beliefs out to the front ahead of other religions and their members.

I hardly see any Muslims or Jews posting and declaring their faith on the websites I visit.

When you make yourself stick out so much more than others, you're bound to get more attention than other people.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2008, 3:34 am

because they don't like them very much?

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 3:51 am

I'm hostile to no one. :heart:

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

03 Mar 2008, 5:08 am

I think you'll also find that aspies are often more blunt about the way in which they phrase their opinions. Generally no offense is meant. They are just telling you what they think.