Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which do you prefer, booze or weed? (Or, which do u see as safer?)
marijuana 38%  38%  [ 25 ]
alcohol 14%  14%  [ 9 ]
Both are cool 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Neither, they're both bad 32%  32%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 65

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 10:57 am

Which chemical substance do you prefer or see as safer?

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 11:21 am

From what little I've read, it seems that cannabis is actually safer. However, I see no problem with either of them in moderation, so it would appear foolish to say that they're "bad."

So I chose that both are cool.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 1:19 pm

Well, I partake of both substances and i see no harm in using them in moderation either. But nothing is harmless and i see some drawbacks to both substances:

ALCOHOL: Over time can produce major depression if used to excess. Under it's influence it can cause fits of rage, sadness, and loss of inhibition which can make the user do things while intoxicated that are wrong. Can cause harm to the liver. Can produce stomach ulcers over time. Depletes vitamin B (I think). Overdose can cause vomiting, sweating, and possible blackout or coma. Death can result from extreme overdose or heavy use over time.

MARIJUANA: Can produce dry mouth. Can make eyes and eyelids red and sore (can't be good for your eyes). Smoking cannabis is bad for lungs. Though it hasn't been proven that cannabis causes lung cancer, the resinous smoke can cause COPD-like symptoms if used heavily over time. Makes the user lazy while intoxicated. If the user gets into the habit of just sitting around and doing nothing while high, even while ceasing use, the user may still be in the habit of being lazy - the so called "amotivational syndrome". Marijuana is physically impossible to have a lethal overdose on, but high levels of pot can cause temporary psychosis or delusions. Also causes the user to eat more. May contribute to weight gain.

On the hole, I see marijuana as much safer than alcohol. Pot is physically impossible to overdose on. Alcohol can cause the user to be violent or reckless - effects rarely seen with pot. Pot usually makes the user calm and peacefull though it can cause paranoia. The key is to use everything in moderation. Why is pot illegal and alcohol legal?? Many reasons. Alcohol prohibition just gave gangsters something to sell on the black market and make profit on. The same thing is happeneing with drug prohibition. I feel the drug dealers don't want pot to be legal because then they couldn't make profit off of it. Hemp is a great substance and it could put the cotton and wool and paper industries in debt. Someday in the future, the drug war will finally be ended once the stupid government realizes that keaping drugs illegal is more trouble then it's worth.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 6:08 pm

What may be medicinal in moderation is venomous in excess. The main problem is many do not know how to use in moderation. I voted niether because I do not feel the need to use either.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 6:29 pm

I like alcohol.

I can't stand pot.

Alcoholism destroyed my uncle's life.

Pot prevents some of my friends from being wracked with central pain.

Although I unequivocally consider alcohol more destructive to society, I just like its effects more.

I've never used it habitually, though, and I wholeheartedly condone violence toward those people who insist that you're an addict if you have it more than once in a year or whatever rubbish they're spouting these days.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 6:43 pm

The societal punishments for using marijuana distort its profile, the societal encouragements for using alcohol do the same. Hence, people get warped sense of inherent aspects of both these substances.

Someone sitting at home (not operating anything more dangerous than a computer-not driving, for instance) should be allowed to do as they wish, in terms of consuming chemicals. Yet, the drinker isn't breaking laws in doing this-the smoker (of green leaves-pot, rather than of brown leaves-tobacco) shouldn't be singled out, either, IMHO.

Fear of even speaking openly prevents more voices being heard in protest of the hypocrisy. If someone harms another person, I don't care what drug the person is on, it's about the consequences. If someone is not harming anyone, then they should be let alone to make personal choices.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 7:11 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:

MARIJUANA: Can produce dry mouth. Can make eyes and eyelids red and sore (can't be good for your eyes).

If you suffer from glaucoma, then its extremely good for your eyes. might even save them.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 7:14 pm

Actually, this thread presents a good opportunity for me to post this vid :) ;

NGO speaker silenced @ UN 'war on drugs' conference

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe208nLLEwk[/youtube]

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 7:26 pm

psych wrote:
history_of_psychiatry wrote:

MARIJUANA: Can produce dry mouth. Can make eyes and eyelids red and sore (can't be good for your eyes).

If you suffer from glaucoma, then its extremely good for your eyes. might even save them.

True. Cannabis is a great medicine for glaucoma (and nausia, and deppression, ...). But when a non-glaucoma person smokes cannabis it makes the eyes and eyelids very red and sore in large doses. That can't be good for your eyes over long periods of time. I've noticed that during allergy season and my eyes are itchy, weed makes my eyes itch even more (though it helps my dripping nose).

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 5:56 am

Phagocyte wrote:
I see no problem with either of them in moderation

this thread should of ended with that comment

Bollinger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2008, 7:00 pm

I'm curious about eating weed, in brownies or cookies or what have you, as opposed to smoking it. I haven't had any cannabis products in quite a few years -- not unusual for someone in his mid-40's, I think -- and back then smoking it was the only way I consumed it. In the meantime, I managed to mess up my lungs pretty well with tobacco. I quit that a few years ago, and I think if I do try pot again I should probably eat it instead of smoking it.

Does anyone have expreinece with eating pot? Am I correct in assuming that it has to be cooked before it's edible?

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 7:30 pm

it has to be cooked yes, id recommended doing a search about it on the internet, you can find all kind of tips and recipes for cooking with weed.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 8:52 pm

Should substances that effect reasoning, alter perception, etc, be used? I don't think they should.

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2008, 11:49 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Should substances that effect reasoning, alter perception, etc, be used? I don't think they should.

They are only temporary. And the altered state of mind can be useful because you see things from a different point of view. Plus they can be fun.

melanie17
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2008, 4:50 pm

both have the potential to be dangerous depending on the person using them.

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2008, 6:42 pm

I don't recall seeing many legitimate case studies on the positive health effects of marijuana, but I do know alcohol in moderation (particularly wine) helps reduce the chance for heart problems, and moderate drinkers have a lower mortality rate than heavy drinkers and non-drinkers (seen across many studies, and interestingly, even heavy drinkers have a lower mortality rate than teetotalers in some studies).