Page 9 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Hamas advocates that children become murderers. How shocked are you, on a scale of 1 to 10?
1 55%  55%  [ 17 ]
2 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
3 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
4 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
5 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
6 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
9 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
10 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 31

risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2008, 6:29 am

Warsie wrote:
risingphoenix wrote:
However, to say that "Teaching children that Nazism is evil = "Teaching children that all Jews are evil" shows a really concerningly distorted sense of morality.

How so? Evil is subjective. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, as exibited here. You may not agree with it, as I do not agree with Naziism's ideas but I can't call it "evil".

If you don't think that Nazism is bad, then you don't know very well about it. You should inform yourself better about it (or better even, visit Ausschwitz or Dachau some day) and think about if you still would say that "evil is subjective" (how's that? If you do nothing to me and I terribly torture you and kill you or/and your family then you find it impossible to say who's the evil one? really?!) if you had lived here in Germany at the time of 1933 to 1945, though mind you, unfortunately you wouldn't have a chance to say what you think then, as the Nazis didn't think that an autistic's life was really that much worth living, you know...
Now, communism is a different thing, at least good in theory, but still, saying that an ideology is bad is not the same as saying that a whole people is bad (which, aside from being racist of course, implies that all people who for example are Jewish or Muslim or black or white and so on did and thought the same thing, which is obviously not the case).

Also, the comics and the like said all Nazis and all Communists were "evil"

Quote:
Also I very highly doubt that during WW2 any American kid was ever encouraged on tv to "kill the Germans".

in WWI "Hang the Hun" was a popular children's game.

Well, I can only care about what wrong things happen during the time I live. Probably also kids in ancient Rome learned bad things about the Gauls when Julius Caesar fought them. I'm not saying that only for the Arabs it's not ok to incite their children or that they were the only ones who did it, when any other country did/does it I find/would find it just as bad.

Quote:
In free societies children do not get abused for war like that.

like drummer boys in the American Civil War?

Ok, let's say in un-free societies children are more likely to get abused for war.

And as far as "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" goes, I know lots of people say that, but I never could see much sense in that. Terrorism is by the most common definition the "violence against civilians (who are the deliberate target) to achieve political or ideological objectives by creating fear" all of which applies to suicide bombings by the Hamas for example, so you can tell me that you for you they are terrorists and freedom fighters at the same time (if they fought for freedom, that is, which they don't, they fight for destruction), but please call a spade a spade.

Hermann Hesse

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 6:42 am

ragtime, the US military does not fight LA gangs, the police does; the Israeli military does fight Hamas and similar groups. An armed conflict openly and directly involving the armed forces of a de facto government (Hamas) and the military of a sovereign state (Israel) is a war. It is not a total war, to be sure; neither is the war in Iraq, or the one in Afghanistan; these are limited wars. Just because Israel isn't using nukes on Gaza doesn't mean it's not a war.
The 'rules of engagement' are relevant to war crimes tribunals, but not to defining whether it is a war or not. Did the Romans never go to war? Their rule was 'leges silent inter armas,' the laws are silent in time of war, i.e. in ware verything is allowed. Did WWII stop being a war when Hitler ordered that all the people of Leningrad were to be all massacred, even if they surrendered, which is surely against all rules of engagement?
I agree with LPP; I think saying children abused as weapons of war are guilty is like saying that a raped child is promiscous. This does not negate your right to defend yourself from kamikaze children.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

monty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 8:05 am

So it is ok to send a young person off to war when they are 18 years old, but not when they are 17? What magically changes? At what point do the youth of this world change from sacred and worthy of protection to cannon fodder?? Child = life worth protecting, 'Adult' = life that can be spent on war.

risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2008, 10:40 am

pbcoll wrote:
I agree with LPP; I think saying children abused as weapons of war are guilty is like saying that a raped child is promiscous. This does not negate your right to defend yourself from kamikaze children.

Again, never the child is guilty, the abusing adult is, who forces or brainwashes the child into doing something bad which then for the child (at any case when he/she is older) often results in a feeling (only feeling, completely unjustifed!) of guilt and shame. That damage to the soul, that's what I mean with loss of innocence, not that the child is actually guilty.
But I can see now that what I wrote could lead to misunderstandings there, so I'm sorry for that, and I edited it out. It is just a thing which seems so natural to me.

Hermann Hesse

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:35 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
The insults that came out are simply because I disrespect your way of thinking and not because of any inability to reason. Don't overthink about them, I just can't stand people like you ...simple.

So it's not anger, it's hate.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:37 pm

Warsie wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
I wish that little rat Ahmadinejad would try it!

When he launches some nukes at Israel? :lol:

EDIT: assuming Iran is building nuclear weapons, which it abandoned its weapons program in 2003.

So then, what nukes are you talking about?

I say again, any large-scale action Iran wishes to take against Israel is not going to be a problem for Israel.

Last edited by Ragtime on 10 Apr 2008, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:46 pm

marshall wrote:
By the same token you call Palestinian snipers cowards I could call Israeli assassins cowards.

No, not really. Israeli soldiers who target specific mass-murdering terrorist leaders for assassination do so by authority of the sovereign state of Israel, and they are target only mass-murderers of multiple non-cambatant Jewish civilians, civilians which regularly and intentionally include women and children.
There is no equivocation between soldiers policing murderers hiding in those soldiers' own country, and those murderers using their own people's children as human shields, and even bomb carriers, into peaceful, civilian areas of Israel, with full intent to directly target vulnerable Israeli citizens.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:51 pm

pbcoll wrote:
ragtime, the US military does not fight LA gangs, the police does; the Israeli military does fight Hamas and similar groups. An armed conflict openly and directly involving the armed forces of a de facto government (Hamas) and the military of a sovereign state (Israel) is a war. It is not a total war, to be sure; neither is the war in Iraq, or the one in Afghanistan; these are limited wars. Just because Israel isn't using nukes on Gaza doesn't mean it's not a war.
The 'rules of engagement' are relevant to war crimes tribunals, but not to defining whether it is a war or not. Did the Romans never go to war? Their rule was 'leges silent inter armas,' the laws are silent in time of war, i.e. in ware verything is allowed. Did WWII stop being a war when Hitler ordered that all the people of Leningrad were to be all massacred, even if they surrendered, which is surely against all rules of engagement?

Do you want Hamas to bomb Israeli civilians?

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:14 pm

I wrote,

Quote:
This does not negate your right to defend yourself from kamikaze children.

There is nothing in my posts defending the bombing of Israeli civilians. Maybe you're imagining things? Or is this a sort of straw-man argument, that since I'm neither Jewish nor a Christian fundamentalist nor an unconditional supporter of Israel, I must be a Hamas supporter?

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 5:04 pm

Ragtime wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
The insults that came out are simply because I disrespect your way of thinking and not because of any inability to reason. Don't overthink about them, I just can't stand people like you ...simple.

So it's not anger, it's hate.

Yes , I despise "you are either with me or you're my enemy"-people ,including phoenix and you.

oh btw ,risingphoenix (I feel humiliated when I see someone like him picked an ancient Lebanese/Phoenician deity as nickname)...why you don't suggest to your Germany gov to offer a little piece of land to all Zionist jews as an alternative peaceful holy home? Weren't your ancestors responsible of the holocaust? Hypocrite nazist.