Page 15 of 20 [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:46 pm

zendell wrote:
Homosexual offenders were put to death, slavery was practiced in the Bible Belt, husbands were masters and ruled their wives, disobedient wives and children were beaten, criminals were punished and not coddled, abortion was illegal, evolution was banned in favor of creationism, only white males who owned property could vote, God and the Bible were taught in public schools, etc. . . . Who are you to say that your new age views are any better than what the majority believed just 200 years ago?

Gosh, zendell, you are right - we could go back to doing it your way, and own slaves, and be subservient to godlike wonders like you, while we let you beat our children. :wink:

PS - Wanna volunteer for some *exciting* slavery?
C'mon, you're a 'free thinker' - it could be fun :)

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:54 pm

deleted

Last edited by zendell on 10 Apr 2008, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:04 pm

deleted

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:13 pm

zendell wrote:
I didn't state I agree with it. Beliefs change over time. People will believe something else 200 years from now. I'm pointing out that it's intolerant to condemn everyones views that don't agree with yours.

Exactly. So the time has come to stop judging and discriminating against gays, just because their very conditions do not mesh with your philosophy.

Agreed?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:34 pm

zendell wrote:
So much anger. If you lived just 200 years ago, I don't think you would have survived. Homosexual offenders were put to death, slavery was practiced in the Bible Belt, husbands were masters and ruled their wives, disobedient wives and children were beaten, criminals were punished and not coddled, abortion was illegal, evolution was banned in favor of creationism, only white males who owned property could vote, God and the Bible were taught in public schools, etc.

Yeah... times then really do not seem that great.
Quote:
Do you think almost everyone who lived back then was homophobic, racist, sexist, a child abuser, bigoted, hateful, intolerant, etc.

Well, a pretty large majority of the people back in those days were! Possibly all of them, but hard to say given that one oddball can ruin such a total statement.
Quote:
You would have lived a lonely life back then if they didn't stone you to death. I think it's pretty intolerant of you to condemn the majority because they don't agree with your new age views.

Oh, I wasn't aware he was talking about stoning the crap out of you, so he tolerates you on some level. He just doesn't like your views to a very strong extent. Part of the issue is that tolerance usually does not refer to tolerating those who do not tolerate you.
Quote:
Not everyone likes how things have changed. Some people want to go back to the "good old days" and undo some of the changes they don't like. Who are you to say that your new age views are any better than what the majority believed just 200 years ago? I don't agree with many of the views that existed 200 years ago, but I'm not going be intolerant or say that I'm better than them.

By taking that argument, aren't you effectively going even more "new age" as your argument is rather postmodern/existential, which as we all know, isn't a belief that they would accept in the old days. Now really, Griff's new age views justify him saying that his views are better, the argument is purely circular. He could also argue that his own views are better formed than those of the others in the old days, or that his views hold to some other standard better or something like that.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:46 pm

deleted

Last edited by zendell on 10 Apr 2008, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:52 pm

zendell wrote:
I'm done with this topic. . . .
The reason I put "gays" in quotes is not to be offensive but because I'm not convinced in the modern sexual orientation belief. I don't think anyone is born that way. If you are interested, you can look up surveys done in the 1970s when only 10% of "gays" said they believed they were born that way.

The 1970s is not where we go for our science; in the 1970s, the link between smoking and cancer was still considered a conspiracy theory, but it killed people just as completely then as it does today.

See ya elsewhere, zendell! :D
And keep up the 'free thinking' !

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:55 pm

So you're a troll instead of a right-wing nutjob.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:59 pm

Griff wrote:
So you're a troll instead of a right-wing nutjob.

He's both, I think.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:00 pm

zendell wrote:
I'm pointing out that it's intolerant to condemn everyones views that don't agree with yours.
When I depart from this keyboard, dude, I have a freaking life to live. The world isn't restricted to the Internet, you lunatic! The world isn't a bunch of blog debates and soundbytes. This subject actually has something to do with whether or not the police are going to bust in my door one day and have me arrested for offending Yahweh. Don't you get that? This stuff actually affects somebody. Think about that once in a while.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:13 pm

Griff wrote:
This subject actually has something to do with whether or not the police are going to bust in my door one day and have me arrested for offending Yahweh. Don't you get that? This stuff actually affects somebody. Think about that once in a while.

Zendell does not have to think about that, or anything else, because he is wrapped in his dogma, protected by it, suckled by it.

One day something REAL may happen to him, and his head will clear.
Or not.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:28 pm

Griff wrote:
zendell wrote:
I'm pointing out that it's intolerant to condemn everyones views that don't agree with yours.
When I depart from this keyboard, dude, I have a freaking life to live. The world isn't restricted to the Internet, you lunatic! The world isn't a bunch of blog debates and soundbytes. This subject actually has something to do with whether or not the police are going to bust in my door one day and have me arrested for offending Yahweh. Don't you get that? This stuff actually affects somebody. Think about that once in a while.

he doesn't care. you're burning in hell in his bottom dollar.

which is why religion should never be a topic above criticism and being called out and out wrong. because of dumb garbage like this where it affects innocent people's lives.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:07 pm

I'm still waiting for zendell to coherently explain why we are supposed to live by Leviticus 20:13, to the extent that we're not even supposed to permit gays into state-sanctioned (not faith-sanctioned) marriages, but we can safely ignore all the other many, many, many restrictions in that book.

Parakeet-boy didn't blatantly drag religion, Abrahamic or otherwise, into the discussion - he merely made assumptions about the supposed "design" of human generative organs (although the word "design" does kind of imply a designer), used those assumptions as unquestionable axioms, then made moral judgments based on these axioms (apparently, using a part of your body for a purpose for which it wasn't "designed" is immoral - does that mean I'm in trouble for all those times I've used my mouth as an auxiliary hand?). Of course, he never managed to coherently answer any questions, either - because he could not question his own axioms, while no one else shared them.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:47 pm

zendell wrote:
How would you like it if you had a 5 year old son and some homosexual became inflamed with lust and raped him? If you do the research, you will find lots of negatives associated with homosexuality.

Reason wrote:
How would you like it if you had a 5 year old daughter and some heterosexual became inflamed with lust and raped her? If you do the research, you will find lots of negatives associated with heterosexuality.

Replying, but not sure if he was actually serious or not.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2008, 8:36 pm

zendell wrote:
I'm done with this topic. I don't have anything against "gays". I started off by posting what Christianity teaches about it and don't want to get carried away. Someone posted that they are a Christian and believe that homosexuality is not a sin. I pointed out that Christianity has always condemned two guys lying together as a sin. I didn't even say I was a Christian. I don't hate "gays" I'm really not too interested in this topic.

The reason I put "gays" in quotes is not to be offensive but because I'm not convinced in the modern sexual orientation belief. I don't think anyone is born that way. If you are interested, you can look up surveys done in the 1970s when only 10% of "gays" said they believed they were born that way.

Hi, I'm someone. I am a Christian and I do not believe Homosexuality (orientation or act in the context of marriage) is a sin. You may believe I'm going to hell, but I don't really care because you're not my judge.

I want to address the use of the words "Christianity teaches" because that is at the root of our disagreement. What is Christianity that it can teach? As far as I'm concerned, there is only one teacher, God. When you say Christianity, you refer to a dogma, a catechism of beliefs to which you think a person must adhere in order to be right with God. It devours people, and they become cogs in the great machine that is Christian traditionalism. However, Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27) I take this to mean that we own Christianity, it does not own us! This is not to say that I do not think tradition important. It has it's place. In fact, tradition is very important to me. However, we have a duty as disciples of Christ to participate in the tradition of reconciliation. We should take tradition and make it our own rather than letting tradition own us. Letting a tradition own me, is not the way of life I know as Christianity!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 9:03 pm

spdjeanne wrote:
Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27)

while your own interpretations are welcome. i believe it's said in reference to the idea that man can do absolutely no work on the sabbath like how many orthodox jews observe it. meaning: they can't cook, drive, or perform anything that falls under their category of work.

while i appreciate your interpretation and that meaning is very significant in a clear understanding of the morality of religion, the quote doesn't really support it within the context of the story (jesus was healing people on the sabbath and people were freaking out that he was doing work on the sabbath).