Page 2 of 22 [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

06 Apr 2008, 1:38 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
So? Not that valid of an argument. I mean, gay marriage isn't the same as gay sex, and unless you are trying to reinvoke sodomy laws(which would likely be ineffective anyway) what is the point? People do unnatural things all of the time, but does something being unnatural mean we should illegalize it? No.


Gay marriage involves gay sex. Does the existence of things unnatural, which I divide between technology(whether natural or artificial) and the misuse of technology, prove that said misuse is, in fact, a proper use?



Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

06 Apr 2008, 1:54 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Gay marriage involves gay sex. Does the existence of things unnatural, which I divide between technology(whether natural or artificial) and the misuse of technology, prove that said misuse is, in fact, a proper use?

Proper use is subjective. Not only that, but even if we accept your notion of "proper use" as valid, it still does not mean we should ban "misuse".



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

06 Apr 2008, 1:57 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Gay marriage involves gay sex. Does the existence of things unnatural, which I divide between technology(whether natural or artificial) and the misuse of technology, prove that said misuse is, in fact, a proper use?

Proper use is subjective. Not only that, but even if we accept your notion of "proper use" as valid, it still does not mean we should ban "misuse".


If you're speaking in generalities so as to equivocate with something unimportant, have your way.



DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,960
Location: Earth, mostly

06 Apr 2008, 1:57 pm

Are you under the impression that if gay people don't get married, they won't have sex? Help me out here - I'm trying to connect these dots, but I'm hitting a huge non sequiter somewhere in the middle of your argument.

Again, you've spelled out why you find homosexuality distasteful - but not why your distaste should be enshrined in law.


_________________
Sodium is a metal that reacts explosively when exposed to water. Chlorine is a gas that'll kill you dead in moments. Together they make my fries taste good.


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

06 Apr 2008, 2:05 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Again, you've spelled out why you find homosexuality distasteful - but not why your distaste should be enshrined in law.


I have nothing to do with this, quit trying to make this a matter of personal opinions.

DeaconBlues wrote:
Are you under the impression that if gay people don't get married, they won't have sex? Help me out here - I'm trying to connect these dots, but I'm hitting a huge non sequiter somewhere in the middle of your argument.


Misuse of natural technology should not happen, one important and relevant example of this is homosexual actions. These actions should not happen, nor be condoned.



DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,978
Location: The Silver Devastation

06 Apr 2008, 2:23 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Misuse of natural technology should not happen, one important and relevant example of this is homosexual actions. These actions should not happen, nor be condoned.


Who does it hurt?



Sand
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Age: 94
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,876
Location: Finland

06 Apr 2008, 2:37 pm

Hey, DejaQ, great post! If you really are 17, you really will have a great future if you can avoid being hung from a lamp post by a furious mob.



MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 19,811
Location: Earth

06 Apr 2008, 2:43 pm

DejaQ wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Will change the foundation of society? What do they mean by that?
Society is always changing no matter what. It's still changing as we speak.

Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home? Now they're putting down children raised from single parent homes? I'm a single child myself, I guess I'm just a failure.

I guess you could say I don't agree with most of it because there's no data to back it up espeacially the church's involvement to sanctimony, they bring that one up all the time. I'm not exactly an atheist myself but you see plenty of straight atheists getting married. What about people of another belief besides Christianity? Do they have a right to be married? People who use the biblical propaganda seem to have double standards in terms of marriage. Not to mention the "facts" sound irrational and unclear in some of those topics. They're not doing a good job at explaining in depth of why each situation is wrong.


They're being sarcastic. :P


8O Oh, it kind of hurt my feelings :( But I still rest my case with the rest of my arguement.


_________________
I live as I choose or I will not live at all.
~Delores O’Riordan


DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,978
Location: The Silver Devastation

06 Apr 2008, 2:46 pm

Sorry, I just wanted to see what kind of response this would get.



Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

06 Apr 2008, 3:00 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Misuse of natural technology should not happen, one important and relevant example of this is homosexual actions. These actions should not happen, nor be condoned.


It will happen anyway, regardless of marriage.

Also, why? How does it bother you that their "natural technology" is being "misused?" There's no right or wrong in such a subjective issue, but I tend to think that the side that does not wish to force their interpretation of what "should be" is the one on the moral high-ground. If it's between to consenting adults and does not effect the rest of us, I do not see why it's anyone's concern but their's. Personally, I think gay sex is gross, but I have no right (and no wish) to force it upon anyone else. To do so is simply wrong.


_________________
Un-ban Chever! Viva La Revolucion!


Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,321
Location: Beyond the Void

06 Apr 2008, 3:32 pm

Kaleido wrote:
Well I disagree with most of that, it certainly wouldn't undermine society since the percentage of gay people might be a mighty force if they decided to do something with it, only thing is, most gay people just want to do nice ordinary things like everyone else, like eat, sleep, work, have fun, love, bring up nice children and generally enjoy life.


dude obviously this was a joke



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

06 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

DejaQ wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Misuse of natural technology should not happen, one important and relevant example of this is homosexual actions. These actions should not happen, nor be condoned.


Who does it hurt?


Is hurting even a factor of determination?



Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,321
Location: Beyond the Void

06 Apr 2008, 3:50 pm

dude who are you to say homosexuality is wrong :roll:



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

06 Apr 2008, 3:53 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
It will happen anyway, regardless of marriage.


And people will speed, do drugs, steel, murder, cheat, etc. regardless of law or what anyone thinks about it. So what does it matter if the practice exists as to whether is should exist or not?

Phagocyte wrote:
Also, why? How does it bother you that their "natural technology" is being "misused?"


It doesn't matter if I'm bothered or not.

Phagocyte wrote:
There's no right or wrong in such a subjective issue, but I tend to think that the side that does not wish to force their interpretation of what "should be" is the one on the moral high-ground.


The so called "subjective" ethics falls out of the teleonomy the complementary machines themselves and not from any book or mind of man or animal.

Phagocyte wrote:
If it's between to consenting adults and does not effect the rest of us, I do not see why it's anyone's concern but their's.


That's your own value system, but it is imposed on Nature and not from Nature.

Phagocyte wrote:
Personally, I think gay sex is gross,


It doesn't matter what one thinks about something.

Phagocyte wrote:
but I have no right (and no wish) to force it upon anyone else. To do so is simply wrong.


That's like saying that any law is wrong.



iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

06 Apr 2008, 3:55 pm

Kilroy wrote:
dude who are you to say homosexuality is wrong :roll:


I'm not the one who says it, Nature does even without Scripture.