What is the history of your family Heriatge?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 12:18 pm

My family goes all the way back to The Goths. East Germanic tribe of Scandinavian origin whose two branches, the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths, played an important role in the fall of the Roman Empire and the emergence of Medieval Europe. Also on my bioligical fathers side I am of Cherokee. Native American people historically settled in the Southeastern United States (principally Georgia, the Carolinas and East Tennessee). Linguistically, they are part of the Iroquoian language family. In the 19th century, historians and ethnographers recorded their oral tradition that told of the tribe having migrated south in ancient times from the Great Lakes region, where other Iroquoian-speaking peoples were located. They began to have contact with European traders in the 18th century. So what is the history of your family heritage?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 2:57 pm

Many of my ancestors were horse thieves which is why I am so high strung.

ruveyn

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:05 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Many of my ancestors were horse thieves which is why I am so high strung.

ruveyn

Cool what part of the world did they originate?

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 3:45 pm

I don't see how anyone can trace back before the 18th century (and even that's extraordinarily difficult/lucky) unless they are nobles, because there simply weren't any records kept. And even in terms of the nobility there's a cutoff point around the 9th century. And prior to that, we're talking about a time of incredible upheaval, population movement, and ethnic mixing; a Frankish noble of the 9th century could well be descended from just about anything in the area, and have no blood relation to 6th century Franks whatsoever. He could easily be a Gaul, an Italian, a Briton, or any one of a number of other Germanic groups besides the Franks.

My uncle and I have done some genealogical work on our family. It's very hard work. Pushing back just a generation can sometimes involve a hundred or more hours. Potentially thousands, once you get back past 1800.

We didn't find anything too exciting. Mostly British Isles, but once in a blue moon we'll get something else. So far, 1 Dutch, 2 French, and 1 Spanish (strongly suspected to be Basque). Nobody famous, unless you count a few mayors and the Chief Gardener of Parliament (I forget the exact title, but that's what it was). A few war stories and medals. Mostly farmers and miners and tradespeople, with a doctor or lawyer or something like that here and there. One criminal - fellow who stole money from his employer and ran away with a coworker to the States, where they used it to open a bookstore, and were promptly arrested.

A few grim death stories. The worst one was a fellow who got caught in some sort of machine used to pump gas or water out of mines, and ripped apart.

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2012, 8:49 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Many of my ancestors were horse thieves which is why I am so high strung

I think the humor was lost on Joker. :lol:

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 9:07 pm

All I know is that my fathers family are from North East Germany, my mothers family originate from the highlands of Scotland and from here (Newcastle, North East England) going a good way back.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 9:29 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
All I know is that my fathers family are from North East Germany, my mothers family originate from the highlands of Scotland and from here (Newcastle, North East England) going a good way back.

My family has kept records of proof of my family heritage though on my fathers side not so much.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 9:29 pm

CoMF wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Many of my ancestors were horse thieves which is why I am so high strung

I think the humor was lost on Joker. :lol:

I do not understand sarcasm :wink:

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 10:49 pm

Supposedly, my ancestors came to England from Normandy in 1066 with William I. They then conquered Ireland. So Anglo-Norman-Irish

But my mother's side is German and Irish.

Basically a bunch of drunks.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 11:01 pm

CSBurks wrote:
Supposedly, my ancestors came to England from Normandy in 1066 with William I. They then conquered Ireland. So Anglo-Norman-Irish

But my mother's side is German and Irish.

Basically a bunch of drunks.

Cool my mother side is the same thing :lol:

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 11:25 pm

I knew my grandparents. That's it. I have no idea who my great-grandparents were, or anybody who came before them.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 11:26 pm

I'm mixed ethnic origin....

From my mother's side, my grandparents are Hungarian, born in budapest and my grandpa btw was the only survivor of the holocaust of his familiy. All of them were wiped out and he immigrated alone to Israel.

My father's side they're both Egyptian, my grandpa had a store in egypt and he had an old french bike too. When he got to Israel he lost all his money and lived very poorly.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 11:36 pm

Chummy wrote:
I'm mixed ethnic origin....

From my mother's side, my grandparents are Hungarian, born in budapest and my grandpa btw was the only survivor of the holocaust of his familiy. All of them were wiped out and he immigrated alone to Israel.

My father's side they're both Egyptian, my grandpa had a store in egypt and he had an old french bike too. When he got to Israel he lost all his money and lived very poorly.

I know how it feels to have part of your family whiped out in Ireland the British killed off a lot of my ancestores who they viewed as subhuman.

And in America my native american ancestores where killed murdered as well but would not stop fighting so I come from a figthing family/

Of course I also had family who where or claimed to have had taken part in the evils of the nazi party during the time Hitler was in power.

My family has both been a victim of hate and been the ones doing the hating and killing of innocent people.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2012, 11:39 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
I knew my grandparents. That's it. I have no idea who my great-grandparents were, or anybody who came before them.

I hate that you don't know more then that as I have stated my family has kept a book passed down from generation that is very old.

It all started with the Goths then one of them married some one who is Irish and had children then my mother had me of course my biological father is Cherokee which means people of a diffrent speech I have a rather complex family history.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 6:05 am

My father's side of the family is mostly unknown to me. I don't even know the names of my living relatives, as my father doesn't really like them. I never met my grandparents on that side of the family, as they were quite old already when my father was born in 1959. I don't know when my grandfather died, but my grandmother supposedly died just before I was born. Apparently, they originated from a region of Prussia near Denmark, and moved to the Netherlands to avoid Prussian military service in the 1870s. They then moved to the port of Rotterdam and started working on ships, and later working in ship administration offices, where my father met my mother.

My mother's side of the family was apparently researched up to my grandfather who died in 2008 by my mother's cousin. Nowadays, it's a normal Dutch family. Before that (back in the 19th century now), they were low nobility somewhere in the east of the Netherlands. Before that, they had some other titles, with one of my distant ancestors once being Count of Holland. Before that, some German nobility, leading all the way back to Charlemagne. From that moment on, as that ancestor is officially known (most people can't tell for certain, but if you're European, it's very likely he's one of your ancestors, too), it's easy to just read Wikipedia to find earlier ancestors.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 7:39 am

Ireland, England, Czech, Hungary.

Going off the last sentence, I had several relatives that served in World War II , and one in the Great War.
One died in a tank battle in Africa. The other was a Sergeant in the Great War. The others were in the Pacific theatre on aircraft carriers in heavy battle.