Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 9:55 pm

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/leadfield.html

Amazing. The swindler planned a 93 block town, yet there was no lead and little gold. Spent $60,000 in 1923 dollars to build a road. All that went up was a dozen or so corrugated tin buildings and tents housing a couple hundred gullible NTs.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/metropolis.html

Then there's Metropolis. Locate a town in the middle of a godforsaken wasteland, build an illegal reservoir to solve the fact that there's no water for miles, lure 700 idiots there, then when the dam is declared illegal declare bankruptcy and tell the residents they're on their own. What's amazing is that there were people there until World War 2. Metropolis was supposed to have 7,500 people, yet never got above 700. Even today, Wells, the nearest inhabited town, only has 1,300 people.

A place called Tobar on railroad tracks near Metropolis was part of the me too crowd, with promoters promising the impossible (fruit orchards, year round growing, lots of water) and people believing it. By the way, there was recently a magnitude 7 earthquake in the area, so the ruins you see in the pics may no longer exist.

Then there's the case of Madeline, California, another high desert town where promoters planted orange trees, which did what came naturally in the harsh environment and died. That didn't stop Plan B, which was, namely, lie, and display boxes of oranges in the lobby of the town hotel. Madeline has a handful of residents today.

Escuerd
Raven
Raven

17 May 2008, 9:58 pm

Isn't labeling them "NT"s just an unfounded assumption?

I don't see where you're making the connection.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 10:03 pm

Yeah, the diagnoses of the crowds going there isn't reported.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 10:17 pm

Must be NTs by deafult.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 10:33 pm

greenblue wrote:
Must be NTs by deafult.

Wrong, 149/150 maybe, but I would bet Aspies went also.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 10:44 pm

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 10:55 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Must be NTs by deafult.

Well, I agree there, the thing is the general assumption to a group of people in a place or any person in general, being that NT by default, straight by default, sane by default, non-criminal by default, etc. kinda like that.

And I am not that sure of the validity of the term NT actually, I mean, is there a valid term for all non-schizophrenics, is there a valid term for all non-OCD people, for all non-ADHD people?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 11:21 pm

Oscuria:

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/goldfield.html

Take a look at the hotel. It cost $350,000 smackers in 1908! Leather and mahogany throughout. By 1919 it had been reduced to a flophouse serving migrant cowboys. During World War 2 it was reopened to house troops serving at a military base in Tonopah. Then it was abandoned. It's been partially restored off and on since the 1980s, which is why the sign looks so new.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 11:44 pm

pezar wrote:
Oscuria:

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/goldfield.html

Take a look at the hotel. It cost $350,000 smackers in 1908! Leather and mahogany throughout. By 1919 it had been reduced to a flophouse serving migrant cowboys. During World War 2 it was reopened to house troops serving at a military base in Tonopah. Then it was abandoned. It's been partially restored off and on since the 1980s, which is why the sign looks so new.

It still doesn't compare to Fatehpur Sikri.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 12:02 am

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Must be NTs by deafult.

Well, I agree there, the thing is the general assumption to a group of people in a place or any person in general, being that NT by default, straight by default, sane by default, non-criminal by default, etc. kinda like that.

And I am not that sure of the validity of the term NT actually, I mean, is there a valid term for all non-schizophrenics, is there a valid term for all non-OCD people, for all non-ADHD people?

Yes, the absolute complement.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 6:24 am

Escuerd wrote:
Isn't labeling them "NT"s just an unfounded assumption?

I don't see where you're making the connection.

There is no connection. Pezar is talking out his ass.