Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 7:09 pm

what sorts of laws would you make?

well I would make a lot of harsher ones
example-

murderers would be shot
rapists and child molesters would get ten years harsh labour (in the North West Territories-aka Canada's Siberia)
any members of racist or such organizations (such as the KKK) would get 5 years harsh labour
religious holidays would be abolished though religion not outlawed

things like that

oh and have a bit of fun with this
it doesn't have to be completely serious (meaning lets not have 15 pages of arguments)

Pixel8
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2008, 12:48 am

Well I cant remember the details but one Chinese Emperor, after a tyranical rule by his father, abolished all law in China exept death for murder and theft cases to be taken on their merits.
Amazingly crime fell and the economy and country flourished.

I guess I'd add a subclause for rape and child melestors.

Failing that I'd decriminalize all drugs and ban guns.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 1:02 am

Veto stamp.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 1:17 am

laws?

the president doesn't write laws. he passes or vetos them. or in the case of bush, he passes them then writes how he wants the law to be enacted and what parts should be avoided...effectively creating his own little line item veto.

i'd cut budgets but it'd have to be a phased out sort of thing...doing anything all at once would just screw the country over as badly as bush did.

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2008, 5:55 pm

I believe Kilroy means if you were dictator.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 6:17 pm

no...well if you wanna go all out with it
my whole approach is we keep alive useless people
people who will die in jail
we pay taxes to keep them alive
when it would be simpler and cheaper to shoot them

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 6:35 pm

isnt there a song about this?

if i were president......

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 7:12 pm

If I had access to the button I would start a nuclear holocaust and attempt to wipe out every last vestige of humanity.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 7:26 pm

Sedaka wrote:
isnt there a song about this?

if i were president......

I donno
maybe

NewRotIck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2008, 9:49 pm

Quote:
If you were presedent

I would learn to spell president.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 9:55 pm

like I give a rats ass :roll:

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 10:31 pm

I'd make Puerto Rico and Guam states.

I'd recall all troops from everywhere in the world and make the US completely, 100% neutral. We don't get involved in other people's problems. We'll protect our borders but we won't carry out any police actions against anyone.

I'd legalize marijuana, LSD and Peyote, criminalize alcohol and regulate tobacco.

If you're not in the armed forces, militia or a peace officer, you don't get a handgun or assault rifle.

I'd make school year-round and dropping out illegal. If you're under 18, you must attend school in one form or another.

I'd make health care free for everyone. You work or have worked? You're covered. You want to sit home on your butt? Screw you. Everyone under 18 gets health care no matter what. The disabled and mentally infirm will get health care no matter what.

I'd eliminate selective service.

I'd allow legal marriages between couple of either gender. Man/woman, man/man, woman/woman.

Anyone who wants one gets a house. You're responsible for the upkeep, payments and whatever other bills and fees are incurred as a result (phone, cable, internet, oil, gas etc.)

Cars will have a required minimum 30 MPG. Hydrogen fuel-cell cars within 5 years.

Elected officials will earn the federal hourly minimum wage. Watch the minimum wage go up, fast. The President will not earn a salary but be housed, clothed and fed and have a weekly stipend.

I can afford to do this stuff because we're not spending billions dicking around in Iraq or anywhere else.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 10:47 pm

I'd reformulate the 'Sin tax' to include all things that have high-frutose corn syrup to help pay hospice care because of diabetes and obesity. Cigarettes too would be there, Marijuana would be legalized and rated carefully for price, gambling would have a bigger percentage taken away, just generalize any luxury that you don't need costing more.

I'd make everyone from now on buy diesel engines and have them run the way they were made to.. idiot f*cks...

Agriculture would be one of the biggest exports and one of our major revenues.

Politicians would be under 24/7 scrutiny. If they spent a dime, we'd know, if they left their house, we'd know, if they took a dump, we'd know... the lying lot of 'em.

I'd give back millions of acreage of land back to the native americans and let them be in charge of the agriculture boom and marijuana.

I'd have major irrigation sent to the desert states of this country so they could be revitilized with forests and such..

I'd have a new wave bullet train built across the Atlantic and Pacific to make trade easier; same for all transportation essentially.

Environmental disasters would be heeded as the biggest crime.

I would allow gays to marry, and outlaw hate-speech.

I would probably be more of a fascist???

Last edited by Averick on 19 Apr 2008, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2008, 8:46 am

Of your while list , digger, recall the troops is the only thing the President would actually have power to do. The President can't add new states to the Union, nor can he legalize drugs, disavow the second amendment, give health care to everyone, legalize gay marriages, give free homes (which I'm not even sure how you could say that is remotely the government's job), set fuel standards, or pass laws effecting the other branches of government. Also,

Quote:
Elected officials will earn the federal hourly minimum wage. Watch the minimum wage go up, fast. The President will not earn a salary but be housed, clothed and fed and have a weekly stipend.

Most politicians are already rich when they are elected to office, their salary is mostly a bonus for them. Aside from that, wouldn't you be encouraging corruption since politicians would now feel more "strapped for cash"?

I seriously hope the previous posters in this thread aren't serious (well, at least haven't given much thought to their policies), and it seems odd that most people would claim to be opposed to authoritarianism, but if given the option, you all seem pretty eager to become the "benevolent dictator" (which after a short time becomes the "evil dictator") with the goal of forcing your ideas on everyone else in the country.

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 12:36 pm

I would put more emphasis on the importance of understanding and diagnosing mental disorders. Secondly, I would introduce a new class in schools dedicated to promoting self-esteem, happiness, unity and respect to all individuals in a non-patronizing way that helps them to accept people/themselves without trying to alter them(selves).

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 1:11 pm

Banning of gun ownership
Complete separation of church and state
Stronger on Equality and Rights for all human beings, including LGBT right to marriage and raising kids.
License to have kids
Better education, scientific and rational mind shaping rather than prejudice, popular belief and superstitious thinking.
Application of the Ludovico Technique (A Clockwork Orange) to violent criminals.