Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:12 am

monty wrote:
oscuria wrote:
monty wrote:
Conservative talk radio exists to manufacture outrage. All the very conservative people I know grumble constantly - taxes, some liberal did this, things aren't the way they used to be.

Conservative talk radio, like Rush, are not what I'd consider conservative or of having conservative ideals.

Well, I certainly wouldn't confuse Rush with a conservative scholar. But the talk radio goons are in fact important leaders of the modern conservative movement - millions of people listen to them, while only a few read scholarly treatises.

Rush is actually pretty smart, and he tells it like it is, unlike the Hollywood-meets-news, spin-cycle network CNN.

Millions of people listen to Rush because he knows what he's talking about, and he talks straight.

Last edited by Ragtime on 08 May 2008, 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:17 am

fabshelly wrote:
Did the OP REALLY just use Faux News as a reliable source?

If they said it would be sunny, I'd be sure to pack an umbrella.

Oh, what to do with you? :shrug:

Fox News beats every other news station by over 2-to-1 in ratings,
despite being very new to the news business,
so I think they must be doing something right.
But keep tuning in to the virtually-unwatched PMSNBC if you really want to... :shrug:

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:19 am

Rush Limbaugh is an inked and dyed psychopath, plain and simple.

Last edited by Griff on 08 May 2008, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:20 am

oscuria wrote:
monty wrote:
oscuria wrote:
monty wrote:
Conservative talk radio exists to manufacture outrage. All the very conservative people I know grumble constantly - taxes, some liberal did this, things aren't the way they used to be.

Conservative talk radio, like Rush, are not what I'd consider conservative or of having conservative ideals.

Well, I certainly wouldn't confuse Rush with a conservative scholar. But the talk radio goons are in fact important leaders of the modern conservative movement - millions of people listen to them, while only a few read scholarly treatises.

Ann Coulter in all her glory does a great disservice. They're just in it for the money, like Televangelists. I truly don't believe they give a damn about anything they say.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there.
I've read four of her books, and she's actually quite insightful, to say the least!
Pearl upon pearl of wisdom in those books, if you want me to be totally honest.
Yes, she's every bit the drama queen for effect, but her points resonate loud and clear.

Last edited by Ragtime on 08 May 2008, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:29 am

Griff wrote:

Michael Moore is like the anti-Rush. :lol: Two fat, middle-aged guys...
except Rush got in line twice when God passed out brains.
The second time was in Michael's place, after he dazedly stepped
out of line to go stick his head up Castro's butt. :lol:

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 10:13 am

Ragtime wrote:
Griff wrote:

Well, I'll give you that.

Quote:
Dude, please don't make me argue on behalf of Michael Moore. I'd never be able to look myself in the mirror again. Frankly, I don't know which is crazier.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2008, 10:30 am

Ragtime wrote:
Rush is actually pretty smart, and he tells it like it is, unlike the Hollywood-meets-news, spin-cycle network CNN.

Millions of people listen to Rush because he knows what he's talking about, and he talks straight.

Doesn't Rush Limbaugh remind you of one of those gay guys who lays in a tub while other men pee on him?

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 11:04 am

Ragtime wrote:
I've read four of her books, and she's actually quite insightful, to say the least!
Yes, she's every bit the drama queen for effect, but her points resonate loud and clear.

Sargon wrote:
I've interacted with the crazies on both sides during and after college, and the people are actually true believers in their respective ideologies. While the Ann Coulters (isn't she a women) of the world may exaggerate their beliefs for dramatic effect on occasion, I think they also genuinely believe in their causes and they are right (of course they probably also might say people like you are talk and they don't really believe in what they claim to).

I never said they didn't know anything of what they spoke or write about. I'm merely comparing them to televangelists. I don't see anything conservative in their movements. They're just anti-left radicals.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 11:08 am

marshall wrote:
Conservatism:

We can solve all the world’s problems simply by cutting taxes, forcing fundamentalist Christianity on all US citizens, and killing off those brown folks who “hate our freedom”. It’s that simple!

Conservatism works! It’s been working for eight straight years! I don’t know where this country would be if not for our Fearless Leader!

We’ve got our heads screwed on so extra tight we have to strain our neck to see what’s in front of us!

Conservatism has been in work for about 30-40 years.

There should be even stricter conservatism in place. Ah, home.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 12:34 pm

Griff wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Griff wrote:

Well, I'll give you that.

Quote:
Dude, please don't make me argue on behalf of Michael Moore. I'd never be able to look myself in the mirror again. Frankly, I don't know which is crazier.

I really don't mean to use hyperbole here, but would you prefer being God's friend or Satan's? (You must assume they exist for this exercise, of course.) Does it take you several seconds or longer to decide?
That might be a clue into why Limbaugh and Moore seem like a toss-up to you.
To some people, God and Satan are simply two guys, not remarkably different from each other beyond being uber-powerful extremists.
(Not to me, mind you.)

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 12:37 pm

Aalto wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Doesn't Rush Limbaugh remind you of one of those gay guys who lays in a tub while other men pee on him?

I'm not part of that scene, man.

8O

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 12:40 pm

oscuria wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Sargon wrote:
I've interacted with the crazies on both sides during and after college, and the people are actually true believers in their respective ideologies. While the Ann Coulters (isn't she a women) of the world may exaggerate their beliefs for dramatic effect on occasion, I think they also genuinely believe in their causes and they are right (of course they probably also might say people like you are talk and they don't really believe in what they claim to).

I never said they didn't know anything of what they spoke or write about. I'm merely comparing them to televangelists. I don't see anything conservative in their movements. They're just anti-left radicals.

And the functional difference between anti-left radicals and true conservatives would be...?
I see none.

Conservativism means continuing to do what has worked.
Liberalism means forsaking what has worked for the sake of trying what hasn't.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2008, 2:02 pm

It's better to be Socrates Dissatisfied than a Pig happy rolling in its own s**t. 8)

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 2:08 pm

Anyone who thinks OxyRush and Ann the Man are "insightful" is beyond hope. Ragtime is showing that it's no use arguing with him because his view of reality is so distorted.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 2:11 pm

Ragtime wrote:

Conservativism means continuing to do what has worked.
Liberalism means forsaking what has worked for the sake of trying what hasn't.

Conservatism = Preserving oppressive social relations using appeals to tradition, religion, and fear.

DeanFoley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2008, 2:14 pm

Ragtime, after returning to WP, I see you've let your own idiocy show...

Weren't you comparing Liberalism to Hedonism before? Yet...you're trying to convert Liberals with pleasure?

Yes, Conservatives are happier. Because they aren't concerned with what's going on in the world. Liberals are kind, thoughtful people, willing to sacrifice some of their own life so other's can enjoy their's. With all the injustice in the world, it'll take a really strong effort to solve it. Not just sit back like Conservatives.