Republicans (or conservatives) and Democrats (or libs)

Page 3 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who works?
I'm a Democrat or liberal, and I work full-time. 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
I'm a Democrat or liberal, and I don't work full-time. 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
I'm a Republican or conservative, and I work full-time. 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
I'm a Republican or conservative, and I don't work full-time. 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 23

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 2:15 am

Fred2670 wrote:
I dont know who Crass is and I dont care.
Let me guess though.. You know I am a patriot
so this Crass guy must be a communist right?
Your attempt to offend me has failed.
I think it was just an attempt to belittle you. Frankly, he never stated anything about your own patriotism, only about your competency.

Quote:
Dont presume to know or understand my situation.
All you need to know is that I destroy any who would
oppress me or look down their self righteous arrogant
nose at me or my family. There isnt a a degree of
wealth that will shield a man from my wrath should
I decide they are deserving of it.

Nobody has presumed to know anything about you other than that which we draw from your position. Actually, your statements sound rather presumptuous on this matter, as it seems pretty obvious that a person who spends their time with rants like yours on a message board likely has no real power anyway, so you cannot destroy anyone who seeks to do something, and the issue is never a "degree of wealth" as protection, but rather your own impotence as a dearth of that.
Quote:
My ideology is correct. You just dont like to hear it
because it represents not only the truth but a reality
you are uncomfortable with. My worldview is every bit
as valid as the rags, but lacks his sense of pompous
overbearing superiority.

Well, that depends on how we judge an ideology. Frankly, there is no objective judging source for ideologies. Frankly though, the reason i don't like hearing it is simply because people holding your views typically suffer from a dearth of ability to analyze economic issues, and because your view rests on different moral presumptions as well. Really, if we reject Raggy's views as stupid, and your view is "as valid" then should we not by that logic reject your view as well?

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2008, 6:50 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Nobody has presumed to know anything about you other than that which we draw from your position.

You sure about that? At least speak for yourself
Must be feelin qualified all the sudden yes?
Well do share

I like this part =)

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Actually, your statements sound rather
presumptuous on this matter

This is great
here comes the first presumption

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
as it seems pretty obvious that a person who spends their time with rants like yours on a message board likely has no real power anyway, so you cannot destroy anyone who seeks to do something

Something? I protect my family against republicans all the time. It isnt easy. "Rants" I have yet to use an exclamation point.
I offer a different perspective. Republicans so busy patting each other on the back they dont realize theyre steppin dem toes. Seven months and their whole world changes. It will be time to pay for their crimes against their fellow Americans.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
and the issue is never a "degree of wealth" as protection, but rather your own impotence as a dearth of that.

Clearly youve never heard of what some call a "Saftey Net"
What is all this dearth about? I can make up words too

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Well, that depends on how we judge an ideology. Frankly, there is no objective judging source for ideologies. Frankly though, the reason i don't like hearing it is simply because people holding your views typically suffer from a dearth..

Frankly that was the most presumptious dearth of all.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Nobody has presumed to know anything about you other than that which we draw from your position.

Last edited by Fred2670 on 15 May 2008, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2008, 7:24 am

I want to thank all the other democrats who got screwed over by the bush administration and have decided that enough is enough this time around. I want to thank all the newly registered voters who want change and also the seniors who of have seen this type of evil before. I know that it will take more than my single vote to destroy them, but together we can turn the table.. the end of the republican party is near.

We need a new tax system that is based on
..how many times a person voted for Bush

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 8:37 am

Wow, I didn't know there were as many as 8 conservatives on this website!

Last edited by Ragtime on 15 May 2008, 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 8:40 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Looks like working liberals outnumber are a higher percentage of the liberal populace than working conservatives are of their population. I wonder if this disrupts anyone's views. I am not voting on this thing btw, as I don't consider myself to belong to either group mentioned.

So far, according to the poll results, and assuming people haven't voted falsely just to mess with me,
WP is not representative of society at large.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:11 am

Orwell wrote:
I'm a student. Looking for a job to help pay my way through college. I'm currently registered as a Republican as a result of voting for Ron Paul in the primary. I tend to be more on the libertarian side, so your poll is a false dichotomy.

This is very true. I am a full time student who is looking for a job and will be doing volunteer research throughout the summer, and I have a definite libertarian streak.

Do with that information what you will. :lol:

Ragtime wrote:
So far, according to the poll results, and assuming people haven't voted falsely just to mess with me,
WP is not representative of society at large.

Oh, but of course! Though you needn't worry. You can still rant about lazy hippy pinko liberals. I won't mind, I think it's funny.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 10:29 am

Fred2670 wrote:
Well do share

Well, most of the people were specifically attacking things derived from your position. Only Orwell's comment could be construed as attacking you, and it could just as easily not be construed in such a manner as well.

Quote:
Something? I protect my family against republicans all the time. It isnt easy. "Rants" I have yet to use an exclamation point.
I offer a different perspective. Republicans so busy patting each other on the back they dont realize theyre steppin dem toes. Seven months and their whole world changes. It will be time to pay for their crimes against their fellow Americans.

By whining and complaining? Ok, not a sign of power. Well, republicans do screw up in keeping in touch with the demands of the people, but all parties do. Really though, they will likely never pay for crimes against Americans simply because their incompetence is simply what one expects from the political system.

Quote:
Clearly youve never heard of what some call a "Saftey Net"
What is all this dearth about? I can make up words too

No, I've heard of a safety net. Frankly, I am just saying that if Bill Gates wants to do something, it is not likely you could stop him.

dearth (durth)n. 1. A scarce supply; a lack.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from American Heritage Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1997 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I am saying that you likely lack the power or resources to stop somebody who is predefined as powerful.

Quote:
Frankly that was the most presumptious dearth of all.

No, not at all. If you study the opinions of highly educated people, you find that not a lot of them share your ideology. If you look at a more common person, you find that your ideology is a lot more common. Now,

Quote:

Must be feelin qualified all the sudden yes?[/quote]
Yes, still feeling relatively sure about that. Nobody had presumed to know anything about you other than what was drawn from your position. Let's just say that I did not infer anything from your highly populist stance and drew conclusions from things other than that. Well, my statement still holds, as I can still claim that Orwell, and skafather had not said anything directly about you. Still, it is not inconceivable that I still drew my conclusions from anything but your position, as after all, there are few powerful populists out there, meaning that for you to have power and be a populist is unlikely.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 10:30 am

Ragtime wrote:

You may have given the libertarians a difficult decision to make and caused some to vote conservative. Multiple people have already complained about your poll lacking options.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 10:43 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

You may have given the libertarians a difficult decision to make and caused some to vote conservative. Multiple people have already complained about your poll lacking options.

Meh, let them get a real, viable, competitive party in the works first.
Then maybe they'll be on every poll that includes Democrats and Republicans.

The poll is very clear.
If you're a conservative, you vote "conservative".
If you're a liberal, you vote "liberal".
If you're neither, you vote for neither one.

But I'm sorry if it's confusing.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:13 pm

Please note that Ragtime created this thread after making the following statement about Democrats:

Ragtime wrote:
And statistics show that those staying home all day and making babies while Welfare pays their bills are almost always Democrats. Which, of course, comes from those of us who work and pay taxes -- otherwise known as Republicans. I'm tried of paying taxes for you lazy dolts!
(I think he meant tired)
QFT
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1430044.html#1430044

The basic flaw of this poll and its entire thread ("Republicans (or conservatives) and Democrats (or libs)") is that there is an assumption that ALL Republicans are Conservatives, and that ALL Democrats are Liberals, which is not the case - many of us are perfectly capable of thinking outside of political party dogma.

At different times I have registered as a Democrat or as an Independent, and I have voted for Republican, Democratic and Independent candidates, depending on their records and probability of performance.

My first choice would have been to remain registered as an Independent, but then I would not have had any say in the primaries. By switching back to a 'main' party, I can at least put in my 2-cents about who the party's candidate will be.

I am currently registered as Democrat, and I have worked full time all of my life, including the years I put myself through college. Over a third of my income has gone to taxes for things I am often totally against, which include Republican, Democratic and bipartisan special interests. It's just silly to condemn everyone who is not a member of your own party, and it only serves to pointlessly inflame passions over non-issues, à la Rush Limbaugh and his ilk.

The best president will be someone who can pull the country back together, regardless of party, and then maybe we'll be able to stop having these destructive them-or-us battles.

If that happened, maybe we wouldn't have to see so many specious polls like this one.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:20 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Meh, let them get a real, viable, competitive party in the works first.
Then maybe they'll be on every poll that includes Democrats and Republicans.

Well, I think that the institutional issues with this are relatively clear. As well, many libertarians are democrats or republicans, libertarianism is a political belief that is not bound to its political party. Not only that, but I think the prevalence of libertarians on the internet is relatively clear, and if there were political parties on WP for example, we would end up having a relatively large libertarian party.
Quote:
The poll is very clear.
If you're a conservative, you vote "conservative".
If you're a liberal, you vote "liberal".
If you're neither, you vote for neither one.

But I'm sorry if it's confusing.

Really? I think it'd have been better if you allowed for a neither option for libertarians or moderates or other political beliefs, as even people who aren't conservative or aren't liberal can technically sort themselves into those categories, and there are signs of this potentially occurring given comments on this thread. Frankly, I think that this is not clear, as you did not state anywhere that political oriented individuals who do not fit in well into the binary categories should not vote for the best option available, for example with libertarians who have registered as Republicans or things of that nature.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:33 pm

on that note: i'm a libertarian that's registered republican that listed myself here as liberal.

*posting from work*

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:35 pm

CityAsylum wrote:
Please note that Ragtime created this thread after making the following statement about Democrats:
Ragtime wrote:
And statistics show that those staying home all day and making babies while Welfare pays their bills are almost always Democrats. Which, of course, comes from those of us who work and pay taxes -- otherwise known as Republicans. I'm tried of paying taxes for you lazy dolts!
(I think he meant tired)
QFT
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1430044.html#1430044

The basic flaw of this poll and its entire thread ("Republicans (or conservatives) and Democrats (or libs)") is that there is an assumption that ALL Republicans are Conservatives, and that ALL Democrats are Liberals, which is not the case - many of us are perfectly capable of thinking outside of political party dogma.

No, that would be a flaw in your logic, not in the poll. That's why the word "or" was placed in there.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:40 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I think it'd have been better if you allowed for a neither option for libertarians or moderates or other political beliefs, as even people who aren't conservative or aren't liberal can technically sort themselves into those categories, and there are signs of this potentially occurring given comments on this thread. Frankly, I think that this is not clear, as you did not state anywhere that political oriented individuals who do not fit in well into the binary categories should not vote for the best option available, for example with libertarians who have registered as Republicans or things of that nature.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:51 pm

Ragtime wrote:
No, that would be a flaw in your logic, not in the poll. That's why the word "or" was placed in there.

That is not a logical flaw, it's semantic BS on your part, since many Democrats are much more Conservative that you give them credit for - but you don't want actual discussions, 'cause it just ain't your thing. :wink:

You routinely classify Dems as Liberals, and Republicans as Conservatives, and your poll has no validity whatsoever - as you well know. The only difference between you and Limbaugh is that he actually gets paid to bloviate! :lol:

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 12:54 pm

I am not whining at all. I just noted that skafather stated that he felt like you would include him as a liberal because he dislikes your conservative views strongly, and Orwell mentioned that he was a registered Republican. And I am doing this to make sense of the issue. Frankly, I have no personal problem with your poll at all, I just think that it could have been done better. If you want to just be a jerk, go ahead, you may as well alienate everyone anyway.